Ideas on how we can try and deflate the inflated prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on how we can try and deflate the inflated prices

I've been having discussions with peeps in the LS I'm on about how rediculous prices are in the AH. Such as, crystals being sold for more than 4-5k a stack (ppl please understand that selling crystals isn't going to make you rich, and selling those things will only inflate the already inflated prices). So, I suggested that in order to lower prices SE should make a patch that would place price caps on items. Maybe SE can even make more of those expensive items either rare/ex, ex (so it can't be traded or sold - just for personal use), or just drop more frequently.

Imagine, a SH capped at 200k instead of some generated inflated number like 2-4 mil. Or a stack of crystals for let's say 1k. Or even better yet, astral rings for 250k instead of a couple of mil lmao.

Seriously, just as an example, selling insect balls for 2-3k a stack is murder; when the materials alone only cost roughly 5k and makes 12 stacks. I'm not going to do the math here but that's a a great big profit for such a synth.

Sometimes I will look at the AH history to see who buys what and how many, and often at times I just wanna give a quick /tell to those who buy at such a high price if they'd like to buy from me cuz I'd sell for much less. But I hesitate because I'd prolly become overwhelmed by all the requests and I wouldn't be able to do anything else cept synth and keep my customers happy. I might just have to try this strategy out.

I dunno, maybe placing a price cap would be too drastic for SE, but maybe as a community we could help and do our part by giving a /tell to consumers if they would like a particular item for much less. Instead of /sh in Jeuno. Hey, it may even bring repeat customers - ie. repeat frequent buyers for less gil over a short amount of time is just like exp: Faster and more gil per day. Overall it would help our economy and it would satisfy customers and more importantly it would place gil in your pocket. Even better yet, it may be possible that one of those customers could have a craft high enough that you may want to exchange items for services rather than gil. I dunno, I've personally never tried it myself.

Let's all be able to have our cake and eat it too.

Again this is just an idea and a long expressed opinion; I'm asking for any further ideas from anybody else willing to share to the community.

I look forward to reading averyones ideas. Enjoy and happy entrepreneuring!!!

***RESPONSE***

Thanks for the responses, I like some of the ideas and reasonings presented.

And yes, I too have put a lot of my hard earned gil, effort and time to level my crafting; so yeah I do know what you mean; yet it doesn't mean I try and gouge every gil out of every player I sell to. Also, just to clarify I used the SH as an example only; my LS leader mentioned that once upon a time SH did sell for 200k - but that was back in the good 'ol days.

I only suggested to cap prices so that items can be more accesible to others and to stabilize the market. I also suggested that the more high ticket items become rare/ex or ex so that RMTs will have a much harder time making their gil, and so that ppl wouldn't have to buy gil. This move would force players to actually work for these high ticket items, rather than take the easy road and buying gil so they can purchase things in game.

As far as supply and demand goes... well...there's another issue here; competition. It's high and there is always someone that will undercut another crafter and sell for less; much less. In saying that, I don't understand how deflating an item hurts people. I see deflating the price of an item benefiting the community by making the item more accesible to others who want/need the item. Thus, moving products faster.

I know that when I sell an item for much less than the history dictates, I have a chance of selling it over anybody else. Does that mean I'm hurting ppl by doing so? I don't know. I also know that someone else can come from behind and undercut my bottom line, but that's just the way it is. It's not a bad thing. I actually encourage that sort of action from other players. This promotes competition from other crafters and eventually lowers the price of certain items.

Recently I've noticed ppl handing out free teles in Jeuno. Does that hurt ppl who charge ppl for tele-taxi as a source of income? Yeah. But this shows that we need to be versatile in our ventures and get a little more creative in gil making.

However, often I just see ppl charge more for a service or item because they didn't make the gil they expected to make in any given week. That's not the fault of the consumer, it's the fault of the player not being versatile enough to handle the stresses of a dynamic market. So raising prices in that manner is placed in the hands of the consumer because a person providing a service or item(s) made 50k rather than the 100k they were aiming for.

All in all, I see most ppl trying for that whole quick gil scheme rather than taking the time to research other methods to making a living while in Vanadiel. I have also noted most ppl are suffering from gil greed. I guess there's no getting around that.

Anyhow, back to work. Hope to read more responses and ideas.
    Last edited by Madtech; 06-05-2006, 03:22 AM.
    Race: Galka
    Main: PLD61
    Skills: Cooking 62, Clothcraft 22, Fishing 10
    LS: ChainsofGod
    AF: Honour Sword ( )
    Gallant leggings ()
    Gallant Gauntlets ()
    Gallant Coronet ( )
    Gallant Breeches ( )
    Gallant Surcout ( )

Server: Cerberus

Re: Ideas on how we can try and deflate the inflated prices

i have to say no to the price cap.... SH for 200k, you know how much gil and time people put into their craft to make this thing?

The way to lower price is to let more supply into market. This is exactly how certain crystal price had gone down. Earth, Wind, with the influx of new jobs and new players, the AH are flooded with these crystals and price has gone from 6k to 1-2k recently. Now if SE really wants to lower price of SH, they can easily do that by letting the verminous claw drop from all over the place. Now you'll have 300 SH in the auction house, talking about major price drop.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

All in all it boils down to the fudimentals of Supply and Demand. Having a cap would be a bad thing, especially for items that are crafting and the crafters who put time into their craft, like Jei said.

It could always be worse. Like a couple months ago when Vermillion Cloak was as high as 16 Million gil at the AH. X_x I've definately noticed a drop in prices from when I left and when I came back.

The Re-birth of Alexiel of Cerberus: A FFXI Journal

Comment

the prices are the same for everyone. if crystals are selling for an outrageous inflated price sell. when they are priced low buy them. its simple economics. people trying to change the economy to their likeing hurt it more than help it. they end up deflating an item or two temporarily, hurting people, that already have that item and need to sell it. its all about learning to handle and understand the economy and its natural fluctuations. if you cant be bill gates in-game you wont be bill gates out of game either. its a shame that i dont do as well in real world as i do in game. =)

Comment

SE seems to be of the opinion things are deflating anyway. They could of made a gil charge for the Moglocker introducing a new gilsink. They chose not to. if you look back at the release notes they actually made this decision based on the fact the the economy was in their opinion under control. (and they have the most info available to make an acurate asessment.) The fact that they zapped away billions of gil when they banned a bunch of gilsellers (i'm guessing they went for their storage mules) at the beginning of the year probably has a lot to do with this. It probably why we've seen such a good recovery from what happened over christmas. Things are back to where they were in November.

I'm really not seeing a problem. THe economy is working perfectly fine as it is. The beauty of a free economy is that it regulates itself.

And finally it's worth noting that a deflating economy can be as bad, if not worse than an inflating economy.
          Kylestie was defeated by Curiosity.

Comment

Well SE doesn't want to regulate the economy for one thing. They do step in when things across all servers seems to get outta hand but, they want the population to control it more.

Everyone wants to make the cash they need or will need as they progress. Supply and demand do play a large. As well as time. If people had time or took time to farm those things that can be farmed, then those items would come down. That doesn't mean things will trickle down along the process though.

Then as long as people are willing to pay the higer prices, people will keep the prices up or rasing them. Especially if they take in the time it took them to aquire and make the items.

Comment

Economy isnt made of clay, it doesnt fall appart, it follows itself and grows.

If crystals are 1million per unit, know what that means? you can sell a crystal for a million, ding! You're really just seeing things the way it would benefit you the most at this moment, (im assuming, i know) but all in all, theres no loss here, you buy for that price if you want to, you can allways farm them if you need them, or you can simply fight the urge to craft with those overpriced crystals right now because you might face a bigger loss, unless ofcourse, you farm the crystals.
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Balfree, thanks for your reply. I suppose you didn't read the whole post since you are saying I would like to benefit myself. And of course you did mention that your'e 'assuming'...well you do know what that means?

Also, the fact that you only mention crystals supports the fact that you did not read the entire post...so on that note, I'll desregard your remarks.

Furthermore, please ensure you do read the post in it's entirety before replying and begin 'assuming' I want to benefit myself first and foremost. Unfortunately, you are not on my server and don't know the LS I am in, but I assure you that I do not do things to benefit myself, in fact I am more giving and I provide services without charge to whoever asks for it (which may be a bad attribute).

On a side note, my character is not a broke one, nor am I underequiped for my level and job. I also give perhaps as much as I recieve, and I always try to lend a helping hand. So for you to come out and 'assume' that I just want to benefit myself is somewhat ignorant of you.

Again, please read the post before making a response. I know that you are a high level player, you obviously can't be such a bad person to go about making assumptions.
                Gallant leggings ()
                Gallant Gauntlets ()
                Gallant Coronet ( )
                Gallant Breeches ( )
                Gallant Surcout ( )

Comment

>_> wasnt trying to attack you in any way

I did read the post, i was simply refering to the part where you say people cant get rich just by selling crystals (forgot to quote? or didnt bother? who knows), which isnt really true, yours truly has to farm crystals in order to get any cash, place a 1k cap on it and what am i left with? D: playing very few hours weekly doesnt allow for much ya know. Then again, its not like i speak without thinking first: if there was a cap of 1k on crystals that would also mean other stuff would be much cheaper, "the economy follows itself" is the rule to go by honestly, its all about how much gil you can get in one sell, and the larger the number, the yellower your smile. Do i like your ideas? Ofcourse, they would just benefit everyone, have those ideas been brought up before? Countless times im afraid, i've seen people get laughed at for saying the same as you, by people who would rather shell out 20 bucks for a million gil because their faces dont turn yellow until theyre "better" than everyone else.

It makes me ill. Because my favorite game is pretty much ruined in some way or another because of that sort of people, but i do go day by day doing the best i can, the day your suggestions come true, is the day i will sing kumbaya.

And assuming, as soon as i admit im assuming, you shouldnt need to worry about it, because these conversations happen everyday, the hardest part is not assuming to be honest.

I know, over the internet its not so easy to know if someone is being intrusive or what, but i wasnt, and if i was, i didnt mean to, when i say "you" on that post, im actually refering to the players as a whole.. and i did say i was assuming, which should be enough to give the idea of generalisation, but alas, cant blame you! Try making your point across in a foreign languange, this sort of misunderstanding is inevitable, unless youre very fluent i guess. And no im not a bad person! Sorry if it seemed i was breathing down your neck, my apologies.
                  Last edited by Balfree; 06-06-2006, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Balfree, thanks for your clarification. I guess in a sense I am trying to benefit myself (or be selfish) in the sense that I was not considering the other ppl who don't play religously (sp.). So yes I do understand your point; and thank you for turning my head in another direction and allow me to see a different view. I'm trying to get a handle and a perspective other than my own on this whole issue of economics in Vanadiel.

And that whole point about the smile and how gil can place it on someones' face...yeah I can see how that can excite someone. In fact that whole point alone got me to laugh a bit. (thanks for the much needed laugh)

If you'll allow me, I'd like to sing kumbaya with you too when SE finally does something right to curb gil sellers and buyers...for good.

To be perfectly honest with everyone who has rerplied to this thread, my thread was (in a sort of subliminal way) also to find a way that we as a community on our servers can do our part to help eachother so that gil buyers and sellers can't/don't have the opportunity to ruin the game for the rest of the players.

We all know the problem is there; and I've read so many ppl rant about it, but I've never seen a thread that talks about solutions - actual solutions that we can carry out in game.

I firmly believe to only complain about the things that can be changed; there's no use in complaining about the taxes in Jeuno, we can't change that, so I don't complain about that. So I'm complaining now about the real problem at hand...the next step is how can we change what we already know is the problem but at the same time not hurt the legitimate players in the process?

Take care and thanks again for the replies.
                    Gallant leggings ()
                    Gallant Gauntlets ()
                    Gallant Coronet ( )
                    Gallant Breeches ( )
                    Gallant Surcout ( )

Comment

Well, if you take gilsellers out of the equation, nothing is really "wrong" with the economy. I mean, I see people talking about how they "remember when erase only cost 100k" and what not. But then, I also remember getting sodas outta a vending machine for 20cents instead of a buck fifty, and gas was 85cents a gallon instead of $3.50 a gallon.

Its just the way things work.

Comment

Why do people like small numbers? What is the difference between the following:

You have 3mil gil, SH is 4.5mil gil, Crystals are 6k gil.
                        and
                        You have 1mil gil, SH is 1.5mil gil, Crystals are 2k gil.

The answer: some numbers are smaller. You can buy 66% of a SH or 500 stacks of crystals in either case.

If you really deflated the economy (and not just relative to your own gil stores) you would spend off your gil in the process, and be in the same place that you were before.

Price caps are retarded as well, they "create" an artificial supply in the supply/demand equation. If you capped the SH at 200k in the AH, then it would be traded, or sold elsewhere. If you capped it in trades and bazaars, then you would see very, very few SH's being sold.

This is a free market economy, you pay what things cost. Nobody is forcing you to pay anything. Deflation and Inflation are only noticeable for two reasons:
                        1) They happen rapidly, IE: "The Christmas Rush".
                        2) From an external standpoint. Like when you leave the game and come back after a vacation.

This is the exact opposite of why people like Rangers in the party to the exclusion of all else. When it comes to Numbers, people like to see large damages, and small prices.

Seriously, just as an example, selling insect balls for 2-3k a stack is murder; when the materials alone only cost roughly 5k and makes 12 stacks. I'm not going to do the math here but that's a a great big profit for such a synth.
                        Each stack costs 416 gil. You make at least 1548gil per stack. Now, I'd say, at most that you can only sell 120 stacks in a day. Thats ~190,000 gil. Thats a lot of work, inventory management, bazaaring, and AH camping. For end-game gear that is 10-30 times that. The profit margin is great, but the volume moved will rarely be high enough for it lucrative enough for casual money. If it was more time effiecent, or you could HQ it, then I'd think that it would bring in more bucks.

Besides, thats ignoring the main point... people are willing to pay for it. Amazing! Its not like "Oh crap, I'll die if I don't have Insect Paste, and they'll cancel my account."

It has been stated thousands of times before in this debate but, people pay what they are willing to pay, and not a penny (gil) more. People who want "deflation" or lower prices usually imagine that their gil would be the same, and want the prices to come down to what they're willing to pay. The only way that would ever happen, to agree with Jei and others, is that supply increases. Not through deflation.
                        66MNK | 37WAR | 22SAM | 20THF | 20BST | 18 NIN | 17BLM | 10WHM
                        Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
                        01 / 10 on Hoo Mjuu the Torrent (Monster Signa: O)
                        01 / 08 on Mee Deggi the Punisher (Ochiumsha Kote:
                        O)
                        01 / 04 on Quu Domi the Gallant (Sarutobi Kyahan: O)

Comment

Why do people like small numbers? What is the difference between the following:

You have 3mil gil, SH is 4.5mil gil, Crystals are 6k gil.
                          and
                          You have 1mil gil, SH is 1.5mil gil, Crystals are 2k gil.
                          Thing is, people do. Its just the very same behaviour that makes people buy rock salt for 4k per stack, when you can buy it for a 1 digit ammount each on NPC: people are out of what. Thats what it is. The same mentality that brings people to say the economy is effed up without thinking twice: it isnt really, like stated hundreds of thousands times before, the economy grows and prices will be affected, but still it worries people.

Cant expect young people (mayhap the majority of the players?) to understand this out of the blue though, but its actually something good they take out of the game for RL comparison.

I work as a webdesigner, and i often have to deal with people complaining about some of the prices my company makes, what the clients fail to realise, is the ever-rising gas prices, which influence the price of pretty much every goods: cargo trucks cost more to keep on the road, thus the cargo they carry will have an increased value aswell, and with that, everything gets more expensive, it gets more expensive for me to get a decent lunch, which will eventually force me to work with higher prices, else i wont be able to pay for my needs.

Its the nature of things, but people still complain, simply because the change is sometimes so sudden that it takes more than desired for the economy to catch up.

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by prices being inflated. You are only mentioning high ticket items that are a luxury, not a necessity. Yes, those are outrageous, but not having them doesn't keep you from playing the game.

As a crafter, I am finding myself buying my drinks/foods/meds as I can get them from the AH cheaper than I can make them (with exception). Crafters are lvlg their skills at a loss everywhere I look. I would call that a deflated market already.

Comment

Wonderful, same responses I've read from other threads. Guess I'm gonna have to find the solutions someother way.

Thank you all again. This thread is closed.
                              Gallant leggings ()
                              Gallant Gauntlets ()
                              Gallant Coronet ( )
                              Gallant Breeches ( )
                              Gallant Surcout ( )

Comment