Role-Playing on Carbuncle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Role-Playing on Carbuncle

Yes, there's been a thread about this, I recognize, but it didn't exactly cover my question as it was a bit more generalized. I'm also not expecting a response given how inactive the Carbuncle board seems to be in particular.

In any event, my question is simple, is there much of of role-playing community on Carbuncle, or a role-playing community in general? I don't mean a few people who simply throw in a RP macro every now and again, but players that actually have meaningful character develop and interact with one another.

If so, are there any LS's in partiuclar that promote RP, and if so who are you, and if not I'd be curious as to how many on Carbuncle in particular have a passion for RP, as if there are a few there's no reason such a community couldn't start up.

Thanks in advance for any responses,
    Lenaro

Re: Role-Playing on Carbuncle

Role-playing does not tend to be an incredibly active venture in FFXI, across the board. There are some linkshells absolutely steadfast dedicated to it, but in reality the game is not incredibly conducive to it. The average starting player, not having done a heck of a lot of research on it, wouldn't know hardly a thing about the in-game background story, like, for example, Tarutaru naming conventions, or the curse upon each of the five races (Apathy, Arrogance, Cowardice, Envy, and Rage).

Most players who have done their homework and do anything remotely RP-ish does so rather passively, mostly limiting to basically writing your character's background story, and occasionally interacting if you're lucky enough to find like-minded people.

That being said, I myself am on Carbuncle and I have a mild interest in RP (as you might glean from my signature . . . ), though unfortunately I do not know of any linkshells specifically for the purpose of RP here. Next time I log in I'll be sure to search you, though, so maybe we could geek out a bit together.

-Tamarsamar
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
      Role-playing does not tend to be an incredibly active venture in FFXI, across the board. There are some linkshells absolutely steadfast dedicated to it, but in reality the game is not incredibly conducive to it. The average starting player, not having done a heck of a lot of research on it, wouldn't know hardly a thing about the in-game background story, like, for example, Tarutaru naming conventions, or the curse upon each of the five races (Apathy, Arrogance, Cowardice, Envy, and Rage).

Most players who have done their homework and do anything remotely RP-ish does so rather passively, mostly limiting to basically writing your character's background story, and occasionally interacting if you're lucky enough to find like-minded people.

That being said, I myself am on Carbuncle and I have a mild interest in RP (as you might glean from my signature . . . ), though unfortunately I do not know of any linkshells specifically for the purpose of RP here. Next time I log in I'll be sure to search you, though, so maybe we could geek out a bit together.

-Tamarsamar
      This is the feeling I drew when in FFXI for the most part, which is far from a problem as the game itself is fun enough, but role-playing simply always enhances a game in my mind, so I thought I'd look into it.

On another note, I can't say I know all too much about the lore within the game world, I've aimed to look some up but usually end up with insignificant facts, I suppose it might be a limiting factor to some, but by my opinion you can easily role-play without necessarily having an iron grasp on all things Vanadiel.

I have to say that in my brief venture in the game, not yet 30, I've encountered a number of people who use macros/emotes for role-playing, but generally more for shenanigans than anything as far as I can tell as I'll generally follow up their use of a RP macro with questioning them about it and they comment back with something along the lines of "No, I don't role-play".

As you seem to know a bit more about FFXI lore, or so I'm assuming, is there somewhere you might point me as I'm rather curious to learn more. I know what I've been able to find within the game and scattered bits across varied websites but I haven't found any solid source.

God I always forget how long winded I am until I get on forums, in any event though, that'd be great, always nice to know the nerds of the nerd community.

Comment

Meh. Mine's simply a case of lurking A LOT before I leaped.

I'm sure somewhere out there somebody has a comprehensive website to all of the FFXI lore, but I do not know of it myself.
        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
        Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Lenaro View Post
          Yes, there's been a thread about this, I recognize, but it didn't exactly cover my question as it was a bit more generalized. I'm also not expecting a response given how inactive the Carbuncle board seems to be in particular.

In any event, my question is simple, is there much of of role-playing community on Carbuncle, or a role-playing community in general? I don't mean a few people who simply throw in a RP macro every now and again, but players that actually have meaningful character develop and interact with one another.

If so, are there any LS's in partiuclar that promote RP, and if so who are you, and if not I'd be curious as to how many on Carbuncle in particular have a passion for RP, as if there are a few there's no reason such a community couldn't start up.

Thanks in advance for any responses,
          Lenaro
          I have been looking for quite some time on the alexander server. And sometimes when I get bored when hunting a NM or waiting for a friend I will role play. But most of the responses I get are usually "Lol." Or "Why the hell did you do that?". No one ever really plays along in FFXI.

Like one time I was hunting with a friend for an AF item, and we killed all the monsters. As we where waiting for them to respond I did a shout saying. "Come out and fight you cowardice monsters, show me your true strength!" And my friend started to play along as well but then I got spammed with tells telling me to shut up.

Not many people roleplay in game because it doesn't promote it. If you want to roleplay, try and find a group thats willing, and change servers (If you don't mind doing so), so that you are all on one server. Or try finding a game that actually promotes roleplaying. I found one quite a while ago (like 4 years ago, and still being worked on.). Was quite good, but there was nothing to really do besides kill monsters. PVP, and Role play. It was good but I kept crashing with the game. If I could remember the name, I would tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
            I have been looking for quite some time on the alexander server. And sometimes when I get bored when hunting a NM or waiting for a friend I will role play. But most of the responses I get are usually "Lol." Or "Why the hell did you do that?". No one ever really plays along in FFXI.

Like one time I was hunting with a friend for an AF item, and we killed all the monsters. As we where waiting for them to respond I did a shout saying. "Come out and fight you cowardice monsters, show me your true strength!" And my friend started to play along as well but then I got spammed with tells telling me to shut up.

Not many people roleplay in game because it doesn't promote it. If you want to roleplay, try and find a group thats willing, and change servers (If you don't mind doing so), so that you are all on one server. Or try finding a game that actually promotes roleplaying. I found one quite a while ago (like 4 years ago, and still being worked on.). Was quite good, but there was nothing to really do besides kill monsters. PVP, and Role play. It was good but I kept crashing with the game. If I could remember the name, I would tell you.

Well I think that most games hold true to your statement about RPers in FFXI, I have run into a game or two that encourage role-playing, and I've seen some great communities in certain games, but unfortunately RPers never seem to nest in a game I find interesting. This is likely due to exactly what you said about FFXI, it really doesn't facilitate RPers, and most MMOs on the market are near identical in this regard.

I have to say out of all of the MMOs that I've graced with my presence FFXI is among some of the better games out there for RP. Unfortunately the community doesn't seem to embrace it in FFXI, and in many ways the design of the game itself prevents RP from ever occuring, but the game world is more immersive than many I've seen, and with worse graphics than a number of them to boot, and the pacing of the gameplay really compliments RP as well in my opinion. A game where it's straight shooting through the levels doesn't really compliment RP as well, at least by my opinion.

Have to say that only one or two games actually top FFXI for the atmosphere for RP, from what little I've seen of FFXI, but unfortunately it seems as though RP was something that's just never been fleshed out within the community.

Comment

I spent almost 6 years on carbuncle and never really encountered a true RP linkshell. There used to be RP events here and there a couple years ago but that seems to be mostly dead as far as I can tell. I haven't played in about 8-9 months so I really don't know the current state of things. Anyways, welcome to carby.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X