New Player, Maybe :S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Player, Maybe :S

Hi there, I'm thinking about playing this game, I have always been highly interested in the FF series, & a few years back I wanted to play this too, but didn't have enough money.
    I currently play WoW but I want to give something else a try.
    I know this game has been out for a long time, so do people still play this? As in a good amount of players?
    And if so any tips for a beginner if I do get the game, would be much appreciated.

Thank You in advance, Leah

EDIT: I have sooooo many more questions if it turns out a good amount of ppl still play :p
    Last edited by djose; 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM.

Re: New Player, Maybe :S

Definitely not as much as there used to be, but IIRC still a good 1000+ anytime of the day on each server. You could join our Linkshell which has a few people in it right now.
    It used to take Forever to level up, as in like, I played 3 years starting back in '04, highest level I got was 66 back then, with the cap being 75. Now, it's possible to get from 1-99 like, in a week, less if you're uber dedicated.

Gameplay is definitely not what it used to be, but it works better if you can play with people you know/become friends with. There's a lot more soloing now, that's for sure, lol.

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Silentsteel - Taru of Awesomeness on Valefor

80 Whm, 86 Drg, 40 Sam, 37 Blm, 31 Smn, & lower as it goes down... I have way too much play time for no levels, lol.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
      Nooby questions coming up.
      :S Forgive me if I seem v nooby to the FFXI Ways/terms, I've been a very big WoW addict for 3 years xD

What is a link shell? Is it like a guild?

What server/realm(which ever you call it ) is a good one? or what server/realm do you play on? :/
      Is it controlled via Keyboard etc or Controller? I don't use a mouse as I have a laptop, but I could easily get one if needed.
      How would I pick a class? :p (I think that's what they're called, still in WoW mind set, sorry)
      I know I can grab a copy with all 4 expacks on Steam for cheap, but they aren't exactly safe :/ Anywhere else I could pick a copy up?

There are so many more questions I can think of.

Comment

That's fine, the terms are different for each game =p

Yes, a linkshell is a guild

All servers are good? some of the people who still play on this forum are on the Valefor server, others on Cerberus I think. I'm on Valefor.

That's what's great about this game, you can use either a keyboard or a controller. I currently play on a laptop as well, rarely using my mouse and just sticking to the keyboard cause that's how I've always played. I tried a controller and didn't really like it personally.

In FFXI your character doesn't have one set job, it can have all of them, there's the 6 starting classes Warrior, Monk, Thief, White Mage, Red Mage, and Black Mage. Depending on what you want to do for advanced classes as well is a good indicator of what starting class to choose. All the classes are described here: Category:Jobs - Gamer Escape's Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

I got my copy on Amazon, direct download from them.

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

80 Whm, 86 Drg, 40 Sam, 37 Blm, 31 Smn, & lower as it goes down... I have way too much play time for no levels, lol.

Comment

What server would you recommend out of them two?

I'ma go take a look at the classes ^^

whilst questing can you randomly get killed by players? like pvp?

If it's doable without a mouse that's brill :D

I just looked on Amazon, and I can't find where to get a digital copy (sadface) (I'm rather spoon like when it comes to looking for that kind of stuff though)

Comment

Valefor obviously cause I'm there ;p

Nope, the only way you can do pvp is in the set area called Ballista (And a few others, I forget what they all are)

look for the ultimate collection I think. Oh, found it. FFXI Ultimate collection

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Comment

Hehe
              Oh thank god, I was dreading that I would get killed all the time

Book marked the site, as I doubt I will have the money for the game for a few weeks.

If I do buy the game and come to Valefor etc, is there any tips I might need? Like no joke, I may have been an addict of WoW, but it took me 2 years to learn how to play properly xD
              Last edited by djose; 06-22-2012, 05:41 PM.

Comment

There's a new players guide that Square came out with, and if you want to try, square also is doing a 14 day trial as well. FINAL FANTASY XI

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Comment

There is no PvP in FFXI. Ok that's not entirely true, there's a vestigial PvP event or two, but they're sad and neglected and mostly dead. If you're looking for PvP, FFXI is not for you. If you're looking to avoid PvP, FFXI fits the bill pretty damn well.

I would strongly discourage the use of a mouse in any and all situations. I use both a keyboard and a controller, it works out pretty well honestly.
                  Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                  Name: Drjones
                  Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

I am so trying the game out :D Thank yoooo, I looked everywhere for a trial last night but couldn't find one
                    Last edited by djose; 06-22-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

rofl, well, I'm happy to help. XD

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                        There is no PvP in FFXI. Ok that's not entirely true, there's a vestigial PvP event or two, but they're sad and neglected and mostly dead. If you're looking for PvP, FFXI is not for you. If you're looking to avoid PvP, FFXI fits the bill pretty damn well.

I would strongly discourage the use of a mouse in any and all situations. I use both a keyboard and a controller, it works out pretty well honestly.
                        Nooo I don't want PvP get enough of that in the game I play already xD
                        A keyboard & controller? O.o
                        I don't have a controller or a mouse atm well I have the laptop mouse pad thing, but I hope that should be ok.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Originally posted by silentsteel View Post
                        rofl, well, I'm happy to help. XD
                        I am truely glad your helping ^^

BTW ZOMG, 34 mins to download the trial >.> jokes I'm use to waiting to dl games xD

Comment

it works just fine going with just the keyboard.

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Comment

Oh, I looked at the class guide thing, and a few interested me, but is there a recommended one for new people?

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Originally posted by silentsteel View Post
                            it works just fine going with just the keyboard.
                            Thats awesome, I'm quite the Keyboard turner ^^

Comment

I'd say anything but thf works just fine, Probably mnk or war would be the best to start out with, unless you want to go a mage route in general, then any of the mages work.

Edit: not saying thf doesn't work, it's just the weakest of the melee ;p

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Comment

Working...
                              X