Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New player seeking some opinions and advice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New player seeking some opinions and advice!!

Hi there. I've decided to buy me and my brother FFXI. We have played before but I've never made it past level 15 so I still consider myself new. We're going to play on the same server but ideally we're seeking a server which is largely populated by people from the UK (so we have others to play with!). Can anyone recommend such a server or possibly recommend the highest population server so we have a higher chance of meeting others?

I also mean to ask whether it's worth buying the FFXI starter pack or diving straight into the ultimate abyssea addition?

Finally I'm wondering what's changed since we last played (in around 2006)? I heard levelling is more reasonable now and I'm wanting to know what changes have been made in order to accomodate peop;e like my brother and I.

Thanks for reading and answering my questions, it's very helpful!!

Re: New player seeking some opinions and advice!!

Originally posted by krisdcc View Post
    Hi there. I've decided to buy me and my brother FFXI. We have played before but I've never made it past level 15 so I still consider myself new. We're going to play on the same server but ideally we're seeking a server which is largely populated by people from the UK (so we have others to play with!). Can anyone recommend such a server or possibly recommend the highest population server so we have a higher chance of meeting others?

I also mean to ask whether it's worth buying the FFXI starter pack or diving straight into the ultimate abyssea addition?

Finally I'm wondering what's changed since we last played (in around 2006)? I heard levelling is more reasonable now and I'm wanting to know what changes have been made in order to accomodate peop;e like my brother and I.

Thanks for reading and answering my questions, it's very helpful!!
    First of all... I'm not sure what server has the highest UK populace... but most servers are fairly diverse... so anything you pick should fine.

Buy the Abyssea Ultimate collection. It's the best value. The starter pack costs the same price ($20?) and comes with half the stuff on it.

In short... a lot has changed. It would be impossible for me or anyone else to really explain every change that's happened. Your best bet is to go to the wiki or to any assortments of forums like ours and ask... specific questions about certain parts of the game.

To begin... SE removed the experience penalty of dying when you're below level 30... and they have increased the rate at which you gain exp and skill-ups by a drastic amount. You'll quickly find out that the game has been put into easy-mode for new players. You'll be above level 15 in a day.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Hi and thanks for your reply. The abyssea edition is £17.99 while the starter pack is £1.50 so I'm wondering if I'll need the additional content straight away (as I'm planning to play till about 30 to decide whether or not I'll quit WoW or move to FFXIV or Rift).

In regards to specifics, is it just that exp and skill ups have increased or are there easier ways to gain exp. I read something on 'brews' but I never looked further into it. Are these items that super enhance stats to make levelling easier? I was also wondering what the concept behind Fields of Valour is and how long it would take to hit 90 playing roughly 8 hours a day?

I really loved the world of FFXI, especially the music graphics and the diversity of jobs. I also much preferred the community to WoW's which is essentially a bunch of self righteous, over zealous keyboard warriors. I would love to get back into this game but give myself a better chance than I had before so I want to know anything that can increase my effectiveness in the game.

Do you know which server is currently the highest populated?

Again, thank you. I know I'm bombarding everyone with questions but I'm just ridiculously excited to get back into Vana'Diel and experience all it has to offer me!!

Comment

decide whether or not I'll quit WoW or move to FFXIV or Rift).
        Good luck w/ that, lol.

In regards to specifics, is it just that exp and skill ups have increased or are there easier ways to gain exp. I read something on 'brews' but I never looked further into it. Are these items that super enhance stats to make levelling easier? I was also wondering what the concept behind Fields of Valour is and how long it would take to hit 90 playing roughly 8 hours a day?
        Playing 8 hrs a day would make it really quick to get to 90, imHo (less than a month easily... at a casual pace). There are many different avenues to get experience these days. Parties are rare but still happen. Solo'n to 30 on one job could proly be done in about 2 days at 8hrs a session. Duo'n far easier. FoV and GoV is available to players from the beginning outside the starter cities. Concept is you choose from several lists. Each list asks you to kill x amount of creatures. Return to book FoV/GoV book/tome and collect xp/gil/tabs. Can be repeated for xp multiple times a day but you won't get gil or tabs (a FoV/GoV 'currency' that buys buffs etc) Brews are something completely different that are used for the current "endgame" areas. It makes a characters stats all 999 so you are basically a god.

Do you know which server is currently the highest populated?
        Not sure if that's tabulated somewhere. I think they are all pretty much about the same. Yyg has a new/returning players LS on Valefor you might consider. Not sure of the hours they mostly play... but watch out... Ygg punches kittens and eats them for a medical dietary problem he acquired somehow in Bangkok... Hope that's going okay for you, Yyg.
        FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
        FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
        aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverslip View Post
          It makes a characters stats all 999 so you are basically a god.
          It's improtant to note that this effect lasts for 3 Minutes. Just to clarify.

Originally posted by Neverslip View Post
          but watch out... Ygg punches kittens and eats them for a medical dietary problem he acquired somehow in Bangkok...
          Can I buy drugs from you?

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
            this effect lasts for 3 Minutes
            ... that's what she said!!!

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
            Can I buy drugs from you?
            Sadly... none that would help with your condition. If you're queezy or have a lack of appetite, I could definitely help you out tho.

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m

Comment

No more kitten huffing for you Yyg.
              Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
              Name: Drjones
              Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

The dolphins flying across the desert shoot laser guns out of their tusks.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowIX View Post
                  The dolphins flying across the desert shoot laser guns out of their tusks.
                  /trips out

Comment

/trips out about not seeing BLU on Yyg's sig

I mean what happened? The will of the people...

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...-take-cap.html

Comment

Well tomorrow is the day I start playing. Me and my brother have talked about loads concerning the game and we're ready to get going. I have made a character on Valefor so I can join in your LS Yygdrasil. What times are you online?

Comment

Here you go...
                        Last edited by Squiggs; 07-03-2011, 11:34 AM.
                        99 DNC
                        99 WHM
                        99 WAR
                        * 99 THF
                        99 BLM * 99 RDM *
                        99 PUP

TWASHTAR

Comment

If you get on the Valefor server, give a /tell to Ahulane. I'm usually on, so I can get you a pearl soon.
                          Valefor - MyLittleChocobo (Click for info!) LS Member - Ahulane
                          DRK70 - PLD32 - RDM30 - WAR30
                          RIP SayWhatNow, DreamsInVanadiel

Comment

Working...
                          X