Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Free Trial" Sorry if wrong area...

Hello all...

I decided to give the free trail a go, and to my disappointment, I'm looking at a 10hr download for updates.

Am I missing something? I used to be a long term WoW player and even after full reinstall/patch updates it never took me too terribly long.

Was looking forward to messing around in the trail a bit tonight

Re: "Free Trial" Sorry if wrong area...

Originally posted by Vovin View Post
    Hello all...

I decided to give the free trail a go, and to my disappointment, I'm looking at a 10hr download for updates.

Am I missing something? I used to be a long term WoW player and even after full reinstall/patch updates it never took me too terribly long.

Was looking forward to messing around in the trail a bit tonight
    Welcome, its nice you want to try FFXI..... but yeah sorry ;p

The servers are capped at 56k (SE said its to help reduce lag between players) so no matter your connection you will connect at 56k

The free trial is an older version of the game, I think it may be just FFXI? or that and the first two expansions... I cant remember, but it still leaves a huge download to be done -.-

I would not say it would really take 10 hours though, that timer fluctuates alot ;p

Just start it, and minimize it, or go do other stuff/play other games for a while, or let it run over night.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
      The servers are capped at 56k
      Huh? Care to cite where you found this 'information'?

The free trial is an older version of the game, I think it may be just FFXI? or that and the first two expansions...
      It's not "older version"; it's just FFXI as is (at least, after the mandatory update it would become the current version), without the expansion packs.

FFXI Free Trial FAQ
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
        Huh? Care to cite where you found this 'information'?
        Well for one it was talked about alot when the game first came out, but this Review also talks about it. FFXI review

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
        It's not "older version"; it's just FFXI as is (at least, after the mandatory update it would become the current version), without the expansion packs.

FFXI Free Trial FAQ
        and yes that is what you would call an "older version"

the FFXI files on the Trial disks are of an older versions of the ones we have now, and is why the game must update.

Comment

Well for one it was talked about alot when the game first came out, but this Review also talks about it. FFXI review
          lol. Let's see what it says:
          FFXI runs very well, and is 56k friendly. This is due to the 56k cap on all users. As a result of a constant latency between all users, lag is minimal, even for those who play on dial-up. It has been very successful, and all players seem to enjoy the performance of the game. The downside is that players can never surpass 28 frames per second, so the game never flows perfectly smooth. That said, the human eye only registered 30 frames a second, so it's not really that big of a deal.
          So many things wrong, it's laughable. "56k" actually refers to bandwidth requirement for playing, but the article sloppily confused it with latency (which is an entirely different issue). The 28 FPS jab is silly; pretty sure it's 30 instead. Even if it's 28 FPS, the article is factually wrong about human vision; the frame rate necessary to achieve persistence of vision for animation is actually around 16 FPS, not 30.

That writer is ignorant.

By the way, the OP was talking about download speed for the updates, which has nothing to do with bandwidth requirement (which is where this "56k" figure really came from) for playing the game.

and yes that is what you would call an "older version"
          The person playing the trial will never play the "older version"--the service will make him update before he can play. Everyone plays the current version--it's the only option.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

your really going to argue on this? lol.....

there is a 56k cap on the servers, its proven and yes I know you cant play the "old version" I am not stupid. The files on the disk are older versions of the current ones, and the trial disk is really just FFXI core, with no expansions. There for its an "older version" of the game.

The human eye can see up to 30 frames a second.. normaly, anything over that is pretty much not needed. but does give the visual aspect of being "smoother" yes 16 is the minimal, but 30 is the "max"

The writer of that article is not ignorant, nor misinformed.

EDIT: ok found alittle more random info and the 56k cap does not apply to POL (and updates) just ingame. So depending on your download speed that "10 hours" might not really be 10 hours ;p
            Last edited by Kailea; 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X