This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Information For New Players.

This is still a work-in-porgress. Several sections and graphic banners need to be added for each of those sections. Furthermore, it will need some editting.

REGARDING PEOPLE WHO DO NOT PLAY FFXI: "Tell me about this game."

FFXI is a MMORPG(Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game), not unlike World of Warcraft and the such. Yes, it does have a monthly fee of $12.95 for one character, roughly $13. It is about $156 a year if you do not include the first free month every new account gets. Think of it like this: three videogames at the cost of a very long game + the cost of the game to begin with. It is an another $1 each character you'd like to play. As this may seem a lot as it is usually free to make more characters in other games, in FFXI you really only need one character. You can do all missions/quests, see the entire storyline, and switch jobs at will with one character. Usually when additional characters are bought, they are used for additional storage place and called "mules". To have it cost the same as most MMORPGs(like World of Warcraft), you would need a total of 3 characters in FFXI.

FFXI is launched from a program called Playonline. It can be played on the PC, Xbox360, and PS2. Playonline doesn't have much use outside FFXI, various of minor tasks, FFXI media, and Tetramaster in the US or Europe, but in Japan it hosts other games.

Now, let's get into comparisons. People often say FFXI is outdated, one huge grind, and looks horrible. Them are fightin' words. You'll find that people saying this stuff have little experience with FFXI and/or can't really back up what they are saying. To answer these claims... FFXI is only outclassed in graphics, which is noticable in the older areas of the game(pre-expansions). All MMORPGs grinds and FFXI has more work involved than others, however what others seem to forget is the amount of different things you can do outside leveling(people who quit at around level 55 and such often complain about this, are usually the ones who got themselves in the 'race to 75' mentallity). The truth is, this game wouldn't be one of the top selling MMORPGs in the American market if it was that bad. If I am incorrect, please correct, FFXI is the second highest selling MMORPG behind World of Warcraft(I've heard City of Heroes was second highest and FFXI third).

Another misguided thought about FFXI is a complete lack of PvP, which is false. It is not as PvP focus and there is no "world PvP'. PvP in FFXI is held in like matches of sports. There is Ballista, Brenner, and coming soon is an area named "The Coliseum" where you fight with monsters it appears. FFXI also has subtle PvP like a fishing contests, a small lottery, records to break on boss battles, records to break on chocobo timed routes, and coming soon Chocobo Breeding and Chocobo Racing.

Now more to the game itself(though I did describe a lot of important things so far), FFXI is different than the type of MMORPGs coming out now. Two huge aspects of FFXI stand out from the others(I can assure you, no other MMORPG beats them here): Community and Story. FFXI forces people to work together, which some people might dislike, neither the less, makes FFXI's community very strong. Servers, which population will range from around 3000 to 5000, are like small towns with gossip, mini-communities, feuds, and famous people. Everyone knows almost everyone, with a small divide between the english-speaking players and the japanese-speaking players. Because of how FFXI is setup, there is almost no 'downtimes', as NA(North America), EU(Europe), and JP(Japanese) take turns keeping Vana'diel alive. To the other point, MMORPGs usually have virtually no (worthwhle) plot in them. However, a Final Fantasy game at heart, FFXI's story is better than many non-online games. With cutscenes, plot-twists, themes, and actually intertesting characters, it is something to care about. Unlike some games, where you come in knowing just about everything(even things a person in the game-world could never know), in Vana'diel, the past is mysterious and you have to work in-game(not on a website) to find out the things that trouble Vana'diel.

If you play FFXI, your career will look something like this: you learn the ropes, level 1 to 10 solo, start partying, level 11 to 18, get a subjob, 19 to 25 or 30, do some rank missions, 25 to 50, start doing Genkei/limit cap breaking quests every 5 levels, get your artifact armor throughout 50s, finally hit level 75, and level some merits. All during this you will be doing various quests, missions, NMs, meeting people, holiday events, crafting, and whatever SE comes out with(Fellowship, Assault, and Beseieged come to mind here). Somewhere in there you fit time to make gil, which is quite the chore. As you can see, almost everything you do will involve another person or more(usually 5 others or more).

I believe I've said a lot of the basics here. One thing I must point out about FFXI is the sheer amount of different things to do. I won't go into detail on how many things, but its a lot and it varies(oppose to deciding between PvP, raiding, and leveling another character). FFXI isn't too casual-friendly. It isn't anti-casual, but sometimes its rough for people who can't play a good amount. 3 hours a session is about the minimun for serious attempts at advancement(unless it is crafting or something short you want to advance in), which an occassional demand for 5 hours for the big stuff like certain missions. At level 75 however, the games opens up a bit more casually, giving you more options that can suit your playing style. Its imporant that you get a set of friends to help you. A linkshell, FFXI's version of a guild, however not binded to being one at a time, is the best place to find them. With these close friends you can set up a static exp parties at set time so you don't have to wait for party invites and you can get up help(and help them in return) with stuff that requires a party or more.

Here are some links, mainly videos, to inspire some of the FFXI feeling: (notice that these videos are often in poor resolution as it is a huge strain on a good computer to run a recording program with top graphics on, also hard to host the huge files that would be the outcome)

A Famous FFXI Video, "Recollection":
    [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ov3-K2aRwQY&search=Recollection[/ame] (If someone could find this in better quality, that would be grand)

Official Playone website:
    FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site (Very underated. You can find a lot of information and links to the four listed below on this page. The top half of the left bar is very nice to look at for details about the game's world, Vana'diel. This is the main source of all update information and preview information).

Playonline's Chains of Promathia Official website:
    FINAL FANTASY XI (PS2 screenshots are pretty meh, but it has a lot of interesting information about FFXI's second expansion)

Playonline's Treasures of Aht Urhgan Official website:
    FINAL FANTASY XI (Trailer is at the bottom. HD looks best, but, at least for me, runs horribly. After saving it to my comp, and then playing it, I found that it played awhole lot better. Also very nice pictures and information)

Playonline's Vana'diel Wind/Live Vana'diel
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/multimedia/wind/ (a streaming video of areas in the game, often used to show new things coming out at times)

Playonline's Vana'diel Tribune 1 and 2
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/vt/...ber/index.html
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/vt2...ber/index.html

(The monthly newspaper about Vana'diel. Has huges amounts of information about the world of Vana'diel. There are two series with the 2nd being far superior and more recent. Most of the 1st series was never translated, however it has some excellent series in it which we see part of).
    Last edited by TheGrandMom; 01-25-2009, 11:54 AM.

Re: The Complete FFXI Guide For New Players. (Must Read)

THE BASICS OF STARTING AN ACCOUNT AND CHARACTER: "What do I do?"

The set up of the Xbox360, PS2, and PC are very much alike. However, on the PC you can adjust your settings, even before you launch POL(Playonline). You can find information in the game Setup/Tweeking/Optimizing forum and maybe third-party programs(the positive kind) to help set this up. You should be able to find your config in your Start menu.

Setup/Tweeking/Optimizing forum:
    Game Setup/Tweeking/Optimizing Q&A - Final Fantasy XI :: Dreams in Vana'diel :: Community

From here, you will need to register your ID. You can follow the very easy steps in your manual. Once you have a Playonline ID set up, make a FFXI Character ID, which is roughly the same, and you can find directions in your manual. Please remember, making more than one character will add an additional $1 fee per character extra. Also, only one character of a single Playonline ID can be on at once. Now that you have finished this part, you can continue on to the game itself. You will likely see the opening movie. No, those are not real-time graphics...

You will now be in the title screen... yada, yada. before you can play, you will need to make your first character. There is 5 races to choose from and 6 starting jobs, but you shouldn't care about the latter too much. After those two, you are asked your character name, if you have "Worldpass", and which nation you would like to start in. There is three Nations... Windurst, Bastok, and San d'Oria. I'm going to explain this entire process and all it options as follows.

The 5 races are: Hume, Elvann, Galka, Tarutaru, and Mithra. These five are known as the Children of Altana, believed to come from the tears of the goddess Herself. Along with details about these peoples, I will include information about their stats, this will be explained in the next portion.

The Humes: As in every fantasy setting, there is usually one race that represents humanity. The majority of the Hume you will see in your times in Vana'diel live in the southern part of Quon, in a dry wasteland. They live and run the Republic nation of Bastok, which is technologically advanced with gunpower, smithing, steam works, and alchemy. Hume are even on their stats, completely average. Think all-around.

The Elvaans: People new to FFXI often see the Elvaans as the Elves of Tolkien and other fantasies. However, despite their origins were in woodlands, there is great difference between an Elvaan and an Elf. They are not soft, magical, or peaceful. They are honorable, vain, and militant. The best way to describe the Elvaan of San d'Oria, the kingdom in the northern woodlands of Quon, would be a hybrid of old England and France struggling to gain their former glory. Elvaans are the strongest race in muscle and faith with the highest Strength and Mind scores, along with a decently high Vitality and Health stats. However, they are not very smart or quick, with low scores in Intelligence, Mana, Agility, and Dexterity. Think knightly.

The Tarutaru: If anyone is like the Tolkien Elves we see in Dungeon and Dragons, it would be the very short, chubby, and fuzzy nosed Tarutaru. The Tarutaru traveled to their savanah paradise of Windurst many centuries before the present gametime, where they discovered magic and the ruins of magic. Scribes, cooks, and mages by choice, they are usually very peaceful people(there is always exceptions, fear the name Shantotto). Tarutaru have a very high score in Intelligence and Mana. They have a poor score in Mind, and very poor scores of Strength, Vitality, and Health. Think magical.

The Mithra: Easily described as cat-girls from the South. They could be said to represent Africans, however are often petty thieves, greedy traders, or ravenous pirates outside their nation to the Far South or Kazham, a closer settlement. You will never see a Male Mithra out of the nation to the Far South. We know so little about the Mithran culture at this point, but we know their nation is full of special agents named Sin Hunters and that their number of males are very few. Mithra exceel at being speedy with high Aglitity and Dexterity. They have lower scores in Strength, Vitality, and Charisma, though the first two are not as low as Tarutaru's. A quirky trait they have is that they can eat fish raw. Think sneaky.

The Galka: The migthy Galka now live with the Humes in Bastok. They are all-but-oppressed as second citizens, however there was a time where a Galkan empire reigned over a endless desert and it's earth. However, the empire would fall to the endless numbers of the Antican beastmen. They fled from their Zepwell island to Quon and began to live with the Hume. They played a very huge and uncredited role in the birth of Bastok. Galka are unique for they are asexual. Their appearance and interest in women makes them to be considered as males however. Galka are the toughest around with very high Heatlh and Vitality, with also good Strength. On the other hand, the Galka have very low Intelligence and Mana. Similiar to the Mithra, they can eat meat raw. Think tank.

Remember that you shouldn't let your job decide your race. Tarutaru are distant from melee and Elvaan and Galka are distant from magic, however there is plenty of these races playing jobs that would seem weak to them and playing them well. You will soon learn, that racial bonuses are below the importance of bonuses granted from gear and food effects, they serve as the icing on the cake(Health and Mana do still play a big role however). You can be many jobs in FFXI and you might decide to switch your main job. Pick your race for looks. However, I will say this. If you want to stand out, Galka is the least picked race.

After picking your race, you will be able to choose your job. You get a choice of six. Now jobs I will cover in the next section. It is likely you will be level one of these jobs to 30, and another to 15 or 18, at the very least. At level 30, you can unlock more jobs, about 12 more, through quests. These jobs are called Advance Jobs, and are only advance because you need to unlock them, but the six jobs you start with are just as good as these, and vice versa.

Because you can switch your job at will, let your choice be based on the piece of equipment you get with the job. If you want to start leveling Warrior, Red Mage, or Thief, pick Warrior as your job, this is because you get a sword with Warrior and weak daggers with the other two. Black Mage and White Mage both give weak weapons, but it shouldn't matter too much. Monk recieves no weapon, but a White Belt, which is good for a Monk.

Then you will be asked to enter your name. No spaces, no numbers, and only the first letter is capital. Mind you, you can get in trouble for offensive names, but ouside that, you should be fine. There is also Worldpasses and such. You can find any answers to the question in other parts of this site.

Finally, it will ask the nation you'd like to start in. It isn't limited to your race, despite them coming from certain nations. Naturally... Hume and Galka from Bastok, Elvaan from San d'Oria, and Tarutaru and Mithra from Windurst. There is a small reward for starting in the matching nation for your race, a ring with decent stats for a level one. However, if you want to be a Galka in Windurst, go for it. The ring gets outdated quickly by more stat focus rings. Let the styles, storylines, and taste of the town to decide which you like better.

-stopping here... literrally falling asleep here-
    -If people would like to include details I've missed on the races, such as stats or quirky traits, please inform me-
    -people who have very high and good video that would inspire FFXI can ask me to put it on the first post-
    Last edited by TheGrandMom; 01-25-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Kind of off topic but wanted to know If there are still Free Ride Chocobo Ticket's???
      Someone told me they don't exist anymore but just wanted to know?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart
        Kind of off topic but wanted to know If there are still Free Ride Chocobo Ticket's???
        Someone told me they don't exist anymore but just wanted to know?
        Yes, they're obtained through the quests that return certain chocobos to their home stables.

BRP you should link to the Recollection techo remix video, it's awe inspiring.

Comment

I found lil bit better quality Recollection video i think: http://www.totalffxi.net/sano1221/AMVs/Recollection.wmv Enjoy!
          Idzor RDM/11
          Ladacroft WAR/9
          Tataki BLM/3

First is mine, 2nd and 3rd are my brothers.

Fishing is one of the best things in the game, sadly im a bastoker...

Comment

This guide can not be finished until I'm unbanned. Thanks for linking that video however. If I'm unbanned, I will start working on this again.
            Read my blog.
            ffxibrp.livejournal.com
            Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
            Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

Originally posted by Legal Fish View Post
              This guide can not be finished until I'm unbanned. Thanks for linking that video however. If I'm unbanned, I will start working on this again.
              i don't see why, you can post here fine enough. you're just making excuses...

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Why would I want my work be done under the name of legal fish? Thats just not pretty. If I'm convinced there is a chance I might still do it, but its not exactly favorable.

Anyway, a guide like this would be pointless if the sticky portion remains as stuffed and clumsy as it is now.
                Read my blog.
                ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

It's a shame you can't just repost all of it in a format that you're more happy with. Really too bad.

Comment

Blood Red poet Said: $156 a month ???? WTF its 156 dollars amonth or a year ?????????? cause u said 13 a month

Comment

he meant year, but since he's banned I'll correct it so there isn't any more confusion.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by Legal Fish View Post
                        Why would I want my work be done under the name of legal fish? Thats just not pretty.
                        If it's not "pretty", why don't you just pick up a new name and post under it?
                        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

One nonsense name is as good as another, IMO.

Comment

ok lol good to clear that up

Comment

BRP's been banned since I left? Craziness. I thought he had a perma-get out of jail free-card for running his mouth. God I hope his funny pics thread is still up.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
                              SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

Working...
                              X