Advanced Video Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Video Techniques

Hi, my name is Yukenado. I'm having a hard time gather info on how to do advanced video techniques, like special introduction of members in the video, or like how they vid the character doing something in like the Model Viewer w/ the persons name to the side. I'll give examples because it's hard to explain:

Aegis of Release: Very awesome, the captioning is what i'm looking at here.. how would I be able to do something like that.

Critical LS AA Fight: I loved the Opening and the Ending, and it was completely outside the game, How did they do this?

Re: Advanced Video Techniques

Originally posted by Yukenado View Post
    Hi, my name is Yukenado. I'm having a hard time gather info on how to do advanced video techniques, like special introduction of members in the video, or like how they vid the character doing something in like the Model Viewer w/ the persons name to the side. I'll give examples because it's hard to explain:

Aegis of Release: Very awesome, the captioning is what i'm looking at here.. how would I be able to do something like that.

Critical LS AA Fight: I loved the Opening and the Ending, and it was completely outside the game, How did they do this?
    Well there are several ways to do this kind of effect and I really only know one way because of the software I use. But I can tell you how I do it in all of the vids I make.

Ok so first thing you need is a video editing software that will allow more then one video field at a time. I'm not sure if Windows Movie Maker allows this, I don't think so but I'm not certain. I use adobe premiere pro.

Now the next thing you need to do is create the text you want to have on the video, for example:

Now importing this file into your editor and putting into video field 2 (Where video field 1 is your background and will contain usually the recorded video from FFXI) should only display the text.

To do this you need to save the image as a PNG or GIF (Or I use PSD). Saving as JPEG/Bitmap removes the alpha channel (Transparent part) and causes anything that was transparent to turn white.

I use adobe photoshop to create all text and various effects in AoR and all my other videos.

Also to have characters standalone, superimposed in video (Like for instance how I do this in AoR credits) you would record the motion you want to display in something like Model Viewer/Altana View. Set the background to a green colour.

For images - Using photoshop you would select on Eald'narche layer (the background will be completely green) go to select > colour range > all greens. This will highlight all green colours. You can then delete/cut them out of the picture! To enhance the effect use this multiple times until you get the desired look.

For video - Now you'll need a decent software so when you import this into the timeline you can apply a 'green screen' or 'chrome matting' effect to remove any and all green based colours (If the character in question is wearing green armour, e.g. THF AF replace the green screen with a blue screen).

The green parts should become transparent (And by default the background will be black).

These are infact, very basic techniques. Once you get used to them they will become second nature to you. As for 'advanced' video techniques, well; I am working on several, they'll all eventually be showcased in future AoR episodes.

I would have been a bit more detailed and posted screenshots but it's gone 6AM and I need to get back to work on AoR5.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to help if I can.
    Last edited by Azel; 12-22-2006, 09:40 PM.
    Kisats - Unicorn Server

Essorance Entertainment - FFXI Video Entertainment

Comment

Thank you, Azel, for posting. I am using Adobe Premier to make this, and I'm assuming it's the "Green Screen Key" under video effects that i'm supposed to be applying to the vid, but it doesnt work. It seems no matter what i put in it, the video doesn't change.
      So, I was wondering how exactly do I do that using Adobe. If you are busy, its fine, but i'm awaiting your new input on this. tyvm.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Step 1 ~
          Import the desired file to contain the green screen effect and place it in the timeline.

Step 2 ~
          Under 'video effects' select 'Green Screen Effect' in the 'Keying' section. CLICK AND DRAG this onto the video file in the timeline.

Step 3 ~
          You can further enhance the effects of the green screen by changing various settings in the effects menu.

Hope that helped.
          Kisats - Unicorn Server

Comment

Ok... something is wrong, I go under Keying and click and drag "Green Screen Key"... not "Green Screen Effects" there is no "Green Screen Effects". And when I apply Green Screen Key nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Ok.. it does do something. But it doesn't cut out the character and there is no Green Screen in the background so how would I go about cutting the character out and how to get the green screen in the background working? Because there is no "green screen" when I apply it.
            Last edited by Yukenado; 12-30-2006, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukenado View Post
              there is no Green Screen in the background
              Green screening works by turning green colours into an alpha channel.

So the character needs to be up against a green background when it's applied.

I don't know what you could be doing for this not to work.
              Kisats - Unicorn Server

Comment

Oh, I fixed it now. You have to have a green screen before, the green screen isn't there when you apply green screen, I got it now. Tyvm.
                Last edited by Yukenado; 01-01-2007, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X