Somebody has to explain this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody has to explain this!

This happened in the Besieged match we had a few minutes ago on Ramuh.

In case you didn't get what happened, I ended up learning Stinking Gas from an Expunger.

Now this may seem like nothing until you realize that the Expunger is a Besiegedmob, and Besieged mobs do not yield EXP, which is a requirement for learning Blue Magic. So is it an overlooked glitch?

I also (probably) killed it with an SATA + Sickle Slash, so that might have something to do with it.

Maybe I missed something here.
    Almost four years experience playing FFXI. I am a Raccoon, not a Hyena--despite my name states I am one.

Get creative and pretend these happened.
    Flaremoogles! Maester Hare HNM Fight! Charmander HNM!

Ow...

Re: Somebody has to explain this!

Getting EXP is not a requirement for learning Blue Magic. You can learn from any Too Weak mob. The real requirement is being close enough to the mob that you would've gotten EXP (regardless of wether it actually gives EXP or not) at the moment that it was killed, and actually being alive at the moment it was killed.

Comment

As Armando said, yielding exp is not a requirement for learning blue magic. This idea came from patch notes that turned out to be a poor translation. What it really meant was you cannot learn blue magic from a mob if you get the message "You are too far from the battle to gain experience."
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
        As Armando said, yielding exp is not a requirement for learning blue magic. This idea came from patch notes that turned out to be a poor translation. What it really meant was you cannot learn blue magic from a mob if you get the message "You are too far from the battle to gain experience."
        I know that, but I heard you can't learn Blue Magic from BCNM mobs, since they don't yield EXP (?). And since I never did gain an experience point from a Besieged mob, I didn't think you could learn anything from it.
        Almost four years experience playing FFXI. I am a Raccoon, not a Hyena--despite my name states I am one.

Ow...

Comment

For Besgeged Monsters, you(or your party) need to killl the monster.

Other then that, your good to go.
          Originally posted by Ellipses
          Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
          Originally posted by MCLV
          A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
          More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Onionsoilder View Post
            For Besgeged Monsters, you(or your party) need to killl the monster.

Other then that, your good to go.
            Oh cool. So I did kill that Expunger.
            Before I couldn't even do more than 0 damage to mobs, so I spammed Fruits and Carrots.
            Now that I can do big damage, I can have fun in there.

Ow...

Comment

My friend learned Body Slam from Double Dragonian BC. And Heat Breath from Kirin. And Memento Mori from that corse in Limbus (which definitely doesn't give xp) - it is the distance, not the actual xp.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
              "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

I like to think of it as, if you see the monster use the ability and you stay until its dead, you can learn it. I mean, how can you learn it if you don't see it?

This gets me wondering if you do actually have to see the mob use it to learn it. Say you're fighting pugils in pug alley Qufim, and you end up dead. Now let's say you home point to the tower so you can get right back and help finish it off, so nobody else dies. The pugil uses Screwdriver just after you land at the tower (This is out of range, mind you). You run back to camp and help finish it off. The pugil only used screwdriver that once (unlikely, but this is hypothetical).

Do you have a chance of learning Screwdriver? Has anything like this happened to anyone? Has anyone done any tests like this?

I may have to test this myself.
                Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

Working...
                X