Wings of the Goddess: A Fanfic Adaption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wings of the Goddess: A Fanfic Adaption

With WotG coming out, I thought I'd write something to go with the storyline since I rarely ever see that, I mean I rarely see fanfics going along with the game's storyline. I hope you guys like how I did it.

I may edit it to look nicer soon anyway though.

~*~*~

Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess

Chapter One: The Cavernous Maw

~*~*~

It wasn't every day you heard of people going somewhere and disappearing never to be seen again, but for Eiyoko this was nearly commonplace. After defeating the second incarnation of the Shadow Lord, the two Zilart brothers Kam'lanaut and Eald'narche, Promathia himself and even the colossus Alexander in the eastern lands, such rumors piqued the Elvaan's interest rather than acting as a warning. After all, how dangerous could a "cavernous maw" be?

"Miss Ciatel?"

Eiyoko snapped out of one of her many daydreams. "My appologies...What were you saying again, Lord Excenmille?"

Excenmille shook his head. "It's a wonder you managed to save us from another Crystal War with an attention span like yours."

Laughing lightly, Eiyoko replied, "When you're faced with death it's a different story."

"Well...at any rate, I have heard rumors of the maws in Jeuno being the most recent. Care to investigate, milady?"

"That's what I'm here for," Eiyoko replied as she made for the airship port. "Keep a good hold of that link pearl, sir. I'll try to contact you through there."

Excenmille replied that he would, but then paused before going back to his own errands. "I have only met her a few months ago...how is it that she seems so familiar to me...?"

~*~*~

Eiyoko made her way through Batallia Downs without any difficulties in search of the monstrosity. It didn't take very long to find; the maw was hidden in a sort of alcove in Batallia Downs. Striding up to it calmly, Eiyoko stood still, waiting for it to show any signs of life. It didn't.

Some monstrosity, Eiyoko thought. I doubt that it is even a living creature. She turned and began to walk away calmly.

The young Elvaan had not taken but a few steps when she sensed something behind her moving. Turning around, Eiyoko expected to see the Cavernous Maw, and she did indeed see it...but it was different.

It glowed ominously, and hovered in the air. It looked alive more than anything, and it was even more grotesque than before. It roared deeply and faced downward, as if looking directly at Eiyoko. An unseen force grabbed hold of her and began dragging her towards the maw. Desperately, she attempted to pull away. Whatever it was trying to do, it didn't seem to be a good thing, and she wasn't about to stick around to find out what exactly it was attempting.

As quickly as it had begun, it stopped. Eiyoko cocked an eyebrow at the maw, wondering if she had just seen things. But no...how could that be? It was just too real... The sensation of being dragged into the vortex, the roar of the Cavernous Maw, the wind surging all around her...how could it only be a dream?

As though on cue, a light appeared surrounding her. The world around her seemed to gradually vanish, including her own body...as her sight vanished, Eiyoko felt herself being dragged into the air, and then thrust forward.

~*~*~

"Lysander! This is a key location in Jeuno's defenses. Don't think you can take it easy when I'm not looking over your sholder!"

Several armored Chocobos raced across Batallia Downs, their mounts crying out to one another desperately.

"Heh, why don't you go ahead and chase all those beastmen off for me, then?"

"You make this sound so simple! These are the fiends that bathed Windurst in blood, and crushed the Royal Knights of San d'Oria!"

"Don't wimper like a little girl, Carlisle!"

The knights raced for the fort in preparation of a beastman attack, conversing amongst themselves, unaware of the blazing figure high in the sky above them.

~*~*~

Where am I...?

Eiyoko stood in the middle of a torn void. Bits and shards of land floated about, and the sky was an ominous, darkened hue. The air shifted in such a way that it could not have been the same dimension as Vana'diel...perhaps she was on the Celestial Plane? The aura made her shiver as though a dark and evil force resided in it...or perhaps it was a yearning...?

When the young Elvaan looked up, she saw something even more foreboding than anything else in the vincity. Above her she saw what seemed to be a huge opening...perhaps it was the true cavernous maw. It was enormous, and it filled nearly the whole of the sky above her...if that could even be considered the sky.

...so awfully busy ...is spinning... Perhaps...a trifle tired...the journey...

A strange, metallic voice echoed all around Eiyoko, and also within her mind. It was almost terrifying how clear it rung out, but Eiyoko had encountered the avatars before, and as such, she was not as startled as she would have been.

Ah...so blue... Perhaps...some help...better...?

"Who's there...?" Eiyoko called out, hoping to gain something as to the identity of the voice, but she went ignored.

Even if there was one kindly soul to aid me in this endeavor, still...

The young Elvaan reached for her staff slowly. She was apparently eavesdropping on someone, and in her experience, whenever that happened she usually got in trouble.

Oh, you deign to agree?

A sphere of energy began to form in front of her. Curiously, Eiyoko reached for it. Things like this usually were not coincidence. There was something in it, she knew. She wanted to find out what. Perhaps it was the voice's owner...maybe it could tell her where she was...?

Aha! Why stop at one person? Why not ask two, or perhaps even three...?

At that point there was an explosion. Eiyoko found herself thrown backward off the cliff, and helplessly, she began to fall, swiftly losing control of her consciousness.

Unknown to her, a feline-esque creature had appeared and turned to where the Eiyoko had just stood.

"Hello?" It asked. "Was someone here? Hereabouts?"

There was no one in sight.

"Or am I just jumping at shadows...?"

~*~*~

--End Chapter One--

Well~? How was it? Lemme know what you guys think, I'm writing it on the fly so it's probably a tad messy.

Re: Wings of the Goddess: A Fanfic Adaption

As you said yourself, most people don't RP the game's events through their own character's perspectives, but it's something that I think more people should do. It brings a bit of life to both one's character and the game itself, to see someone's reactions through the eyes of their in game avatar. Honestly it's something I think about myself, but never actually put into words.

It was a very interesting read and if you're ever inclined to post more stories from your perspective I'm sure you'll gain many readers.
    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Re: Wings of the Goddess: A Fanfic Adaption

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
      As you said yourself, most people don't RP the game's events through their own character's perspectives, but it's something that I think more people should do. It brings a bit of life to both one's character and the game itself, to see someone's reactions through the eyes of their in game avatar. Honestly it's something I think about myself, but never actually put into words.
      It was a very interesting read and if you're ever inclined to post more stories from your perspective I'm sure you'll gain many readers.
      I'm actually planning on doing this for the other expansions as well. ^^ I'm glad you enjoy this!

CHAPTER TWO: BACK TO THE BEGINNING

"This place wouldn't be my first choice for naptime..."

Eiyoko's eyes fluttered open to see a knight standing over her, looking on in concern. The sky was brightly lit, even for the daytime, and the area itself...it seemed to be very familiar....

Out of the corner of her eye, Eiyoko noticed one of the younger soldiers get a wary look in his eye. He drew his sword. "You're not a Jeunoan soldier... State your name and regiment!"

The young Elvaan sat still in shock. People had not acted in such a way since the great war. "I-"

But the soldier nearest to her waved him off before she could reply. "At ease, Corporal. I don't think he bites."

Another turned to her. "What happened, ma'am? Did you hit your head, or something?"

Eiyoko shook her head. "I'm not sure...I was inspecting the Cavernous Maw, and...I don't fully remember what happened after that..."

The stranger gave her a look of pity. "Altana only knows what you were doing out here, but you better head to the safety of town."

The younger soldier spoke quickly. "Sergeant Barnabas. Civilian entrance to Jeuno is currently restricted..."

"Jeuno?" The young Elvaan echoed. "Where am I?"

"You're in Batallia Downs, ma'am."

Batallia Downs...? "It sure doesn't look like Batallia Downs..."

"What did you expect, a flower-splashed hillside?"

"Alystair, now isn't the time for that. Can't you see that the young lady here is not feeling well?"

The young soldier quickly fell silent.

"At any rate, if you head south of here you'll find Eldieme. The Bastokan Soldiers are currently keeping that place as a stronghold, so you can stay there if you need time to recover."

But Eiyoko was not about to let anyone injure her pride. "I can fight," she insisted.

"Is that so? I still believe you will want to rest first, in a condition like that. On your way, citizen."

Eiyoko watched as the knights marched off. Then, looking downward, she noticed a pure white feather clutched in her hand, glowing with a soft platinum light...

~*~*~

It would probably have been a better idea to head for the necropolis as the knights suggested, but Eiyoko knew that they were teeming with the undead, and decided to head for San d'Oria first.

The route through Jugner was hirrobly distorted. At one point the road was completely cut off, and the young Elvaan had to cut through Vunkerl Inlet. It had been twenty years since she had gone through there, and that was just before it was demolished by the war. If this land was truly the same place she had been moments before, how was it so torn and ravaged by what seemed to be war?

"Krogkrek?!"

An orc's voice! Two orcs, one armed and cloaked in armor, the other bare, were confronting a young silver-haired Elvaan boy. It couldn't mean anything good. Eiyoko whipped out her staff and raced to the boy's side.

"Who are you?" the boy asked, not even facing her. Looking down, Eiyoko noticed the boy carrying a greatsword. It looked very familiar...

Almost as if on cue, another young, silver-haired Elvaan (this one armed with a sword and shield) rushed into the scene, calling out to his

friend. "Excenmille!"

"Excenmille?" Eiyoko echoed. Her gaze whipped back around to the youth next to her. This child was Excenmille...? Or perhaps it was only a similar name...yes, that had to be it.

"Rahal!?" Excenmille replied. Eiyoko blinked, and did a double take. It had to be a coincidence...it had to be...there was no way...

Both children drew their weapons and faced the orcs. Snapping out of her daze, Eiyoko faced the enemy as well.

But the lesser-armed orc seemed dazed as well. "Excen...mille...?" he said, eyes widening. "Yes, those eyes...you are him only..."

"Wha-"

"I have found you, Excenmille M Aurchait!" The orc cried, cackling malevolently.

"Speak not my family name, cur! And I am not yet..." But the boy faultered, almost surprised.

Eiyoko's eyes widened. It was happening all too fast. This boy was the Excenmille...but the Excenmille she knew was at least twenty years older. Vunkerl Inlet was open, and not demolished. Jeuno access was restricted. The land was familiar, but ravaged by...

Of course. This was the era of the Crystal War.

That accursed Cavernous Maw had thrown her back in time.

--END CHAPTER TWO--

I think it's a bit short, but I thought this would be a better way to get the main character into the "I've been thrown back in time?" feeling. A long trek to San d'Oria wouldn't have done well for me to write out, anyway. Chapter three coming up soon!

Comment

Working...
      X