Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual weilding vs double handed weapon

Basically, which does more damage in the long run:

1. dual weilding with 2 axes or 2 swords.

2. using a double handed weapon like a great sword or scythe.

...and as a side note, is RDM/NIN or RDM/DNC better, simply for the dual weilding benifit.

Re: Dual weilding vs double handed weapon

it really depends, its pretty much set though what jobs use what, RDM for example will always dual swords, or use 2H staff for spells, unless a special situation calls for something different.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Moriquendis View Post
      ...and as a side note, is RDM/NIN or RDM/DNC better, simply for the dual weilding benifit.
      At the level cap as of September 8th, 2010 (level 85), /NIN and /DNC both offer Dual Wield II. Once it hits level 90, /NIN will offer Dual Wield III, something Dancer doesn't get until level 60. So, in terms of pure Dual Wield DPS, currently equal, but /NIN will win out in a later update.

However, you can hardly weigh the usefulness of the two subjobs based on how many Dual Wield traits they get alone. Prime example: at level 90, the same time that DWIII is available from /NIN, Haste Samba would become available from /DNC. Please be sure to compare the two more carefully, and heck, even level both, if need be.
      Last edited by Yellow Mage; 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Basically, which does more damage in the long run:

1. dual weilding with 2 axes or 2 swords.

2. using a double handed weapon like a great sword or scythe.
        The real answer isn't all that simple, but for now you can pretty much go with:

WAR, DRK, DRG, SAM: two-handed weapons.
        MNK, PUP: Hand-to-hand.
        Other front line jobs: one-handed weapons.

Mages tend to stick with staves, unless melee'ing.

It really depends on what you're fighting--and how easily it can break through your Stoneskin.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

This is an iffy one, at the present time they are nearly equal (in terms of delay reduction they are), however a RDM can not hit cap on VT or higher mobs without some ACC food, be it Sushi or Pizza. In this case /DNC will trump /NIN. Heavily, simply due to its 10ACC bonus, by simply having it as a sub. As well as its Quickstep ability to further reduce mobs evasion.

At 90+ /NIN has DW 3 which is 25% delay reduction. (10% more than DW2) However, DNC gets Haste Samba, as well as that ACC trait which translates into its own 10% buff, albeit in a different way. Until proper testing can be done I won't comment further on the potentials at 90+

Defensively speaking /NIN wins out on mobs that can tear your SS down. However, that is not always the case, where you may need that 10 ACC from rings /NIN /DNC you can drop the rings for -pdt rings (jelly and/or Augmented dark rings from abyssea konsthacht) with them a genbu shield + -pdt sword, a cheviot cape that is -33%(38% at night) damage you will take. Which makes DNC blood tanking look a little more welcome. For anything lvl and 80 below I usually will blood tank it /DNC, and use TP to status cure, it saves me carrying around meds all the time, and shadows.

Really they are a wash, and as a proactive RDM/DNC, /BLU, /NIN I can say that each has their uses, and to be quite frank, they are all about equal in terms of defense and offense.

it really depends, its pretty much set though what jobs use what, RDM for example will always dual swords, or use 2H staff for spells, unless a special situation calls for something different.
          Daggers are your friend on anything piercing weak, and unless you are using an Esword, or Justice than the cons out weigh the pros as far as dual wielding swords is concerened (barring obvious upgrades of relic and mythics, and maybe emperyean). Esword is even pushing it because the delay on the sword causes it to be slower TP and DPS gain/done, than single wield joyeuse. However a solid dagger like the Blau does not have this problem, since it has a naturally low delay, and with DW, increases the TP gain rate of the combo by comparison to SW. Esword is used because Death Blossom is a solid WS on most any target, and it has very nice latent that increases our offense. Blau has similar latents as well and makes it a strong choice, for instances where peircing is better than slashing. Justice is used to swordchuck, it is essentially and enspell spam set up. It can be very potent, on magic weak enemies. It builds TP about as fast as a Blau/Joyeuse build, which is slightly faster than the SW Joyeuse.

As for 2H staves, someone reads to many old forum posts. 1 club 1 shield, with MND and INT modifiers is much more potent on anything but the highest end monsters. However the highest end monsters also resist us with staves so it is a moot point to argue it one way or another.

sig courtesy tgm
          retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
            As for 2H staves, someone reads to many old forum posts. 1 club 1 shield, with MND and INT modifiers is much more potent on anything but the highest end monsters. However the highest end monsters also resist us with staves so it is a moot point to argue it one way or another.
            wat...?

Comment

I think he's trying to argue against the Elemental Staves.
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

No I am saying 2H staves are as situational as a melee set. Simply because on mobs you can reliably stick on you should use +MND or +INT potency sets, for stronger para, stronger slow, etc etc. On things you can't reliably land things on staves are useful for the MACC, but deliver no potency, which means your slows and para's won't look as nice. This is why many people think para 2 sucks, when you cast it in a full MND build it will land a lot harder, and proc much much more. Heck its even wise to use a full MND set on most HNM's since if you do manage to stick, than it will be for as high as possible, often times staves can be overkill, and on some mobs, it doesn't make a difference using a staff cuz SE hated enfeebles one year and made several mob immune to damn near everyting.

sig courtesy tgm
                retired -08

Comment

I'm a bit torn on this subject. The last meripo I was in on my WAR seemed to be doing great damage with Maneater/JT, but then I noticed the other WAR using a GAxe of somekind that was Rare/Ex and while I was able to pull out 500-800ish WS's, with crits being around 1300, he was pulling out 900-1200 consistently. Of course he had Ebody when I didn't and was subbing /SAM. He was tping and WS's just as fast as I was.

So IMO, my ManE/JT got trumped by his GAxe. It was some kind of rare uber one too... it had critcal hit rate on it or something... with a weird name.
                  °·-._.-·°¤.-º°`¨·¥|Kageshinhiryu|¥·¨`°º-.¤°·-._.-·°
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!"
                  sigpic

http://guildwork.com/u/kageshinhiryu

THIS LOOKS AWESOMESAUCE: http://www.deusex.com/

Comment

OP needs to frame the question into a better context.

In WAR's case for example, subbing SAM and wielding a Great Axe generally trumps everything else you can do for damage, even if you have a Ridill (though this could very well change at level 90 when DW3 is available)
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowHolyFlyingDragon View Post
                      So IMO, my ManE/JT got trumped by his GAxe. It was some kind of rare uber one too... it had critcal hit rate on it or something... with a weird name.
                      If it was an Eventreuse then, yeah, pretty damned rare.

Comment

Working...
                      X