Touchpad on Laptop not working, but works in safemode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchpad on Laptop not working, but works in safemode

I have a less than a year old ASUS U81 laptop, and the touchpad is not working. It works perfectly fine in Express Gate (ASUS mobo preboot OS) and it works in safemode. Now, magically, restarting my laptop 5-6 times will get it to randomly work. I tried taking the battery out and just having it plugged into the wall. In the device manager, under pointing devices, I have an (!) on a PS/2 standard port mouse, but I think that's from awhile ago when I used an old Dell mouse.

Also, it seems my keyboard fails periodically, but closing the laptop and reopening it seems to fix it.

What do you think could be the problem? Resolution?

Any insight much appreciated :D

Also, I don't know if this was the right forum or not, but it effects my FFXI gameplay so..
    In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
    And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
    Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
    Yeah, It’s true.
    It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Re: Touchpad on Laptop not working, but works in safemode

go into device manager, and uninstall the touch pad drivers, then reboot, windows should pick them up again and restore normal function, if no then go get the latest driver for it from ASUS website.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

There's no driver for it, it's weird. Under "Mice and other pointing devices" I have HID-compliant mouse (my USB wireless mouse I use), and (!) Standard PS/2 Port Mouse, which I figured was from when I used an old Dell mouse. It has an exclamation mark on it, but I don't think it's my touchpad? And if it is, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. Also, to reinstall I just do, "Scan for hardware changes," I don't restart the PC... is that different? It reinstalls right away. It's also what I used to do when I worked for Charter Communications as networking tech support, and seems to work fine on NICs.

I think I'm going to boot in safemode and see if there's anymore drivers than there is in regular mode.
      In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
      And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
      Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
      Yeah, It’s true.
      It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
        There's no driver for it, it's weird. Under "Mice and other pointing devices" I have HID-compliant mouse (my USB wireless mouse I use), and (!) Standard PS/2 Port Mouse, which I figured was from when I used an old Dell mouse. It has an exclamation mark on it, but I don't think it's my touchpad? And if it is, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. Also, to reinstall I just do, "Scan for hardware changes," I don't restart the PC... is that different? It reinstalls right away. It's also what I used to do when I worked for Charter Communications as networking tech support, and seems to work fine on NICs.

I think I'm going to boot in safemode and see if there's anymore drivers than there is in regular mode.
        ah yeah, then thats your problem, go to ASUS website, and find that model of laptop, and then find the touch pad driver and download/install that, then you should be fine.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Working...
        X