Help, Character textures are messed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Character textures are messed up

Hi everyone, I could really use your help right now. See I quit playing a few months ago, and now I feel like coming back. I re-installed the game and when I play the game, all the characters in the game including the NPC's look like this:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post for help but I am really desperate right now and need assistance. I have uninstalled and re-installed the game 3 times already and I am starting to lose hope. Does anyone have any suggestions?

edit: My solution to this problem is lower on the page.
    Last edited by Ziltch; 03-25-2008, 12:33 AM. Reason: to help people with this graphics card find the solution easier
    Ziltch 70 DRG 54 PLD
    Asura server

Re: Help, Character textures are messed up

Update drivers? What kind of graphics card do you have?

Comment

Its called a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family. I'm not all that high tech but i'm pretty sure thats what its called.

But the thing is, I think I already updated my drivers, and the game worked perfectly before that.
      Last edited by Ziltch; 03-18-2008, 10:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Ziltch 70 DRG 54 PLD
      Asura server

Comment

Ziltch,

i have the same graphics card you do, the Intel mobile 965 chipset family, could you tell me how you got your game to work? thanks

Comment

I've had texture glitches before (I've got some interesting screenshots of random distorted blotches of multiple colors floating in the air in the Metalworks) on a notebook with a Radeon X1400 that had been working until an OS reinstall. Sometimes a botched driver update will corrupt things (in my case, accidentally installing a version of Catalyst *before* the version of .NET it required).

The best thing to do is to look on tech forums for a guide on doing a full cleaning and reinstalling of your video drivers.
          Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
          DRK99,DNC91,THF90
          Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
          Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
          WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
          Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
          All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
          Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
          Clothcraft 24
          Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
          BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Zatu: search in google "Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family previously released software" click on the first link called "Download Search Results"
            On the bottom of the next page click on "Previously released software"
            In the section labled DRIVERS. Go to the earliest driver entitled "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows Vista 32(exe)" I think it will work only if you have windows vista. So if you have another operating system, look for a driver download for that operating system. download and install that driver and FFXI works like a charm. Basically all your doing is downgrading your driver. I don't know why the newer ones don't work for FFXI but thats how I fixed it. I hope that helps you.
            Ziltch 70 DRG 54 PLD
            Asura server

Comment

awsome! thanks that did it and its working fine! thanks for your help ^_^b

zatu

Comment

your welcome! glad to help.

edit: So as far as I know this solution has worked for 2 people. I really hope that others will come across this thread if they are having the same difficulties with the graphics driver.
                Last edited by Ziltch; 03-25-2008, 12:20 AM.
                Ziltch 70 DRG 54 PLD
                Asura server

Comment

Holy crap, I have this issue!!

I've just spent 20 minutes googling my arse off, to no avail. The guidelines given above no longer seem to work, for me at least. Could someone with actual brains do me a favour and provide some juicy linkage or just more details on how to find older drivers for this Chipset?

I'm a tech-idiot, see. Pity me!!

(Just in case it matters, it should be the same as above, Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family on a Vista-32 machine.)

I cannot begin to describe how grateful I'll be.
                  Oh, Warp. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Comment

Well Deeke, we seem to have the same exact chipset and everything so the above directions should work. All I can say is keep trying.

go to this link: Download Search Results Previous

on the list go to number 11 named "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows Vista 32(exe)" Click download and follow the instructions(you will have to restart your computer during installation). If it works correctly, FFXI should work again.

on a side note: Windows automatic updater can sometimes re-install the bad graphics driver causing the issue again. If this happens you need to do the above directions again and turn off automatic updating or else automatic updater will keep on screwing up FFXI.

and in the above post were you implying that i don't have any brains? >.>
                    Ziltch 70 DRG 54 PLD
                    Asura server

Comment

Heh. Nooo Ziltch, I didn't mean to imply that the giver of the previous info was lacking in the brain department. I was just pointing out that I personally am brainless from my utter lack of success in trying to follow those given instructions. (Really, I tried to follow them, nothing came up. Perhaps a google.co.uk thing. The link in google that I should have been seeing simply wasn't there. I dunno.)

Apologies for not making that clearer^^

I'll give the link a whirl when I get home from work later today. Thanks for taking the time to look it up though man.

EDIT: link whirled, used, yayed. Worked like a charm Ziltch. I officially love you.
                      Last edited by Deeke; 04-11-2008, 11:07 AM. Reason: manlove
                      Oh, Warp. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Comment

glad to see things worked out for you Deeke, hope to see you on Asura
                        Ziltch 70 DRG 54 PLD
                        Asura server

Comment

Just an FYI, the correct driver doesn't seem to be available from Intel directly anymore, but it is still available at opendrivers here Download Intel G965/Q965/Q963 Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 15.2.1.1227 Windows Vista x32

This driver is for the fix for FFXI on Intel GM9xx series (X3000/X3100) on Vista 32 bits only.

Comment

Unfortunatly I have encountered the same problem - new Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with a Mobile Intel 965 Express chipset. Only problem is that any previous version of the drivers won't run as they have not been verified for this machine.

Any thoughts anyone? (apart from isn't it about time SE started supporting common chipsets that are out there in thousands of affordable macines)

Comment

Problem solved. It was the video driver that needed to be rolled back, but as the computer is newer than the later driver set the one needed wouldn't run from the install package. So, for anyone encountering this problem on a new machine instructions for a manual install can be found here Graphics - Error: "driver being installed is not validated for this computer..."

I had to uninstall the driver that came with the machine as shown at the end of this article. After the install my screen went black and I had to force a machine shutdown as nothing was happening. On reboot it picked up the ffxi compatible driver and notified me there was an updated driver, which I declined and hid.

Most of the links to the Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family driver are now dead so it is not easy to find. When I get a chance I will upload it to my webspace so that it's there for anyone else that needs it.

**WARNING** While many members share links to exe files that are not malicious, be aware that your computer can be compromised by downloading such files if they are harmful. There has been a rash of keyloggers/trojans recently and peoples accounts have been hacked. Make sure your computer is protected at all times and understand what you are downloading. -TGM

Drivers as promised in a self extracting zip (15mb) located at http://www.conscious-image.co.uk/dow...14_10_1227.EXE

Note: I would have to agree wholheartedly with the above warning. This is a copy of the drivers I loaded on my own machine and my account hasn't been hacked yet. The drivers are on my own personal webspace, but I cannot guarentee that they haven't been altered in any way. You can find me on Fenrir if you wan't to ask questions, and feel free to check my sales on ffxiah to make sure I haven't been taken over.
                              Last edited by Bronnie; 06-11-2008, 01:37 PM. Reason: Agreement with Warning about downloading .exe's

Comment

Working...
                              X