This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about new expansion TOAU

I could go into how difficult it has been to acquire this game, but that is just a long drawn out story no one wants to hear. I finally received the game today, and I am one of those people that actually reads the manuals before playing/installing a game. I found one sentence that caused me extreme disgust in the manual. First I should say that I have been trying to get this expansion since the very first day that it came out, and I was an idiot for not preordering (PS2 Version) I had made sure to ask every question possible about what I need, and everything like that, how to get there etc. So I know all that I know that I should be able to install it, and play it. But according to the following sentence that doesn't seem to be the case.

Playonline, FINAL FANTASY XI, FINAL FANTASY XI: Rise of the Zilart, and FINAL FANTASY XI: Chains of Promathia MUST be installed before you install FINAL FANTASY XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan.

Hmm....really now? Because according to the 5 mentors I had asked, along with several people in all the main cities, and Jeuno to be absolutely sure I was told otherwise. So is this just a printing error in the instruction manual or is Playonline, and Square Enix about to realize that they messed with the wrong guy? Because I am not a mean guy not at all, but if they really did this. When this indication is NOT given on the back of the box. Back of the box says. THIS EXPANSION PACK CANNOT BE PLAYED WITHOUT FIRST INSTALLING THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF FINAL FANTASY XI.

I am looking all over it, and I see no indication anywhere in bold, fine print, or listed anywhere else on the box that I am REQUIRED to have CoP. I do NOT have CoP. So is this an error in the instruction manual? Or do I have to make some poor tech support guy on the phone who did nothing to cause my problem deal with me? I have never been screwed over in my life I have always resolved every situation I can. If possible I would really like to avoid having to call them up. Mainly because I am not entirely sure they will care. I might lose my winning streak

Do I need CoP before I can install Treasures of Aht Urhgan? Or is this a typographical error in the instruction manual? I finally got it, and was about to install it, but I guess its a good thing I haven't installed it yet if thats the case. If anyone could offer any assistance with this I would be extremely grateful. Just any advice on what to do and whatnot.

Re: Question about new expansion TOAU

I think what it means is that if you are going to have COP and ToAU, you need to install COP first.
    Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
    I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

I did intend on purchasing Chains of Promathia in the near future, but I don't have it right this second, and want to go on my way to getting the 3 new jobs in the new expansion. So does this mean when I buy chains of promathia at a later date. What would happen to my treasures of Aht Urhgan data? Would I lose it? Great Sig with the oldschool FF sprite characters by the way

Comment

You can probably go ahead with the install and unlock your jobs, just realize that when you do get CoP, you'll need to uninstall everything and re-install. Even the original FFXI software. You won't lose anything you've gained in the game, thats all server side. You'll end up losing macros and settings, though.

Well I think, at least.

Not 100% certain that what I'm saying is what SE means.

About the sig: Thanks! Pyroelf made the original.
        Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.

Comment

right thats what I think too. But would I LOSE my Treasures of Aht Urhgan data? If so what would be the point of it?

Comment

You would keep all Aht Urghan data.
            Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.

Comment

ok thanks I appreciate it, and no offense but I want to get a second opinion or two first. I am thinking the same exact thing you are, but I have to be 100% sure. I don't want to level the 3 new jobs for a few months have a bunch of nice gear or whatever, and lose it all by uninstalling Treasures of Aht Urhgan to install Chains of Promathia, and reinstall Treasures of Aht Urhgan. I have to be absolutely sure before I install this. Call me paranoid if you must but I would rather be careful now then sorry later you know what I mean?

edit: basically I am thinking that is exactly how it would work if I were playing on the PC version, but that it might work differently playing on the PS2 version. Like im sure my character data is stored on their own servers somewhere, but that doesn't mean that same data whether in a temporary or permanent form isn't on my HDD. So if I go, and install and reinstall, and all of a sudden their server data doesn't match what I have on my PS2 HDD. Well it could be mad. Like I said I am thinking the same thing you are I just want to be absolutely sure.
              Last edited by AizenSousuke; 05-11-2006, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Your job levels and all that are stored on the server, not the client. Reinstalling, you will lose macros, map markers, color/interface settings, and inventory/auction house sorts. That's all. As long as you do in fact reinstall everything, you'll still have everything you get in the interim.

Edit: To clarify, if you get BLU to level 10, you'll have BLU to level 10 no matter what. I believe once it's unlocked, you can even switch to it without having the expansion reinstalled (you can invite BLUs to your party now, so it's not like the game can't understand the concept of a BLU without the expansion, you just can't get the quest to unlock it).
                Ellipses on Fenrir
                There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                . . .

Comment

Right I am thinking the same exact thing, and really KNOW I should just stop asking, but I have to be completely sure. I think as long as I didn't attempt to log in an Aht Urhgan area after uninstalling it or when playing as a BLU,PUP, or COR. Ok I will install it what I basically think is.

As long as I don't save in a Aht Urhgan area or playing as a BLU, PUP, or COR before I go about uninstalling TOAU, and installing Chains of Promathia (eventually but not soon) then reinstalling Treasures of Aht Urhgan again. Everything should be fine right? Or just avoid logging in (After uninstalling TOAU) at all until its all uninstalled/installed/reinstalled just to be on the safe side?

Comment

Yeah, I would definitely not log out in an expansion area. That part is known for sure, as people have reported on it. When you log out in an expansion area, then try to log in on a client that doesn't have that expansion, you get an error message and can't log in.

I haven't personally heard what happens as far as accessing the jobs if you log in on a client without the expansion installed. But it's effectively the same thing. If I log in on my friend's PS2, without CoP or ToAU, there's no way they're going to suddenly strip away my 5 levels of BLU. That would be customer service suicide.
                    Ellipses on Fenrir
                    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                    . . .

Comment

O ok thanks to both of you for answering my question. Well while I am at it I may as well ask a similar question im just as concerned with. When I finally do get Chains of Promathia what EXACTLY do I need to do? Do I just install the expansion? Do I uninstall Aht Urhgan first then install Chains of Promathia then Install Treasures of Aht Urhgan? The reason I ask is regarding the content ID. How do I make it where I will be able to use the content ID again after reinstalling it? I am sure they have some measure to prevent just any person that has the cd from registering with the content ID number. So do they understand that its not being used anymore (so I can use it an hour later lol) when I uninstall the expansion? or do I need to cancel the content ID for that expanded service? And if its the latter how do I cancel an expansion's content Id without cancelling my actual Final Fantasy XI content ID?

Comment

I installed ToAU before CoP. My CoP came about a week after I got ToAU. No problems whatsoever with the installation ^^ No need to uninstall anything.

Ah, sorry. I just realized you're on PS2. I don't know if there's a difference. I'm on PC and playing the NA-version.
                        The road remains wide open while your dreams are alive. Only fear can block the way.

zitah.nu

Comment

Reinstalling is just like using your account on a different system. All important data is stored server-side, so it can't be tampered with. If you uninstall and reinstall, you only lose map markers, macros, and specific configuration settings. That's why you can log in with your account on any computer/console with the game installed.

As for if there's a complication with installing expansions out of order or such, I've never personally experienced it, since I take precautions after the Japanese Zilart expansion had a quirk. I always install expansions in order, and I always fully patch before installing an expansion. The glitch with Zilart was that your entire FFXI install could be corrupted if you tried to install when your version of FFXI was from before the release of Zilart, which could cause the installation to freeze in the middle. Since the US/EU release installs a version later than Zilart's release, we never had to deal with that problem, but I was already in the habit for Promathia and Aht Urhgan.
                          http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
                          http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
                          http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
                          My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

You seriously need previous expansions? I thought you'd just need the original FFXI. Luckily PC has the Vana'diel Collection, I'm not sure if PS2 does.

Comment

Originally posted by Jekk
                              You seriously need previous expansions? I thought you'd just need the original FFXI. Luckily PC has the Vana'diel Collection, I'm not sure if PS2 does.
                              No you don't need any expansions. However, if you only get one expansion, it can be any of them. They are all independent of each other.
                              http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
                              http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
                              http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
                              My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

Working...
                              X