Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to politely decline a party invite?

What is the best phrase to use in order to politely decline a party invite? Now matter what I say, I seem to end up offending people. I tried looking for an auto-translator phrase, and all I found was {Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.} and now I find out that phrase is also considered rude.

Thanks for the help.

Re: How to politely decline a party invite?

you could always try {I'm playing solo right now}

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I always use the (I'm sorry. I'm busy right now.) message.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
      SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

i type it out if im not lazy.
        but 80% of the time im lazy to type. so I use {i'm sorry} {i'm busy now}
        another 15% im even more lazy I don't even reply...
        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Depends on the situation for me. Example- last night while soloing in The Boyada Tree with my flag up on 75NIN I got an invite from a 75rdm. I accepted and he invited me to his party when he got to zitah. Now the problem here is that my comment read roughly like this:

EXP Can I have it? NA/JPk
          Ninja Warrior TP burn: Yes please
          Black Mage Skillchain: No thanks.

Now, with that search comment one would expect not to receive invites from "traditional" parties. Upon joining however I check the party compistion as I always do and lo and behold:

NIN/THF/SAM/RDM/WHM/BLM

Can't get more traditional than that. On top of that the SAM was 75/30 SAM/THF and the RDM party leader who I did a /sea all on before accepting invite had the standard NIN/MNK/WAR burn onry comment.

Before making my hasty departure from the party I asked the RDM in /p why his comment said burn pt onry and my comment said burn pt onry and he invited me anyway. His response was that he "makes exceptions for LS members." I suppose he expected me to be a nice guy and help his gimp LS mates get exp as well (gimp referring to the SAM of course). I politely told him "please be sure to read search comments before inviting people from now on" and disbanded.
          Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
          http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

I just tell em streight up why I cant or dont want to honesty is the best policy.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

I don't know why a polite "I'm sorry, I don't have time to PT." or "I'm sorry, I'm busy right now." Offends people.

For JP players, I just tell them in romanji that I couldn't pt with them (obviously politely) and they'll understand. I prefer typing in romanji over auto-translate because I sometimes get /tells from the pt leader/member if I'm Japanese. Kinda starts a nice, casual conversation with them.
              noein 萌え

kagerou1.deviantart.com

Comment

One time I used {I'm sorry.}{I have plans.} and the pt leader actually sent back "{lie}?"
                I don't remember what my response was, but it was not polite. >.<
                lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

lol ^^
                  Since I fish a lot on ferry these days, I have to run through VK from time to time.
                  Sometimes I got tells like "u bored?" "u busy?" from random people in the dunes.
                  You know what they'll ask next...
                  There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                  but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                  transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Gawaine
                    I just tell em streight up why I cant or dont want to honesty is the best policy.
                    I agree. I just tell them why. If they are JP and I can not communicate exactly why, I just say {I'm sorry. I'm busy now.} {Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.} and put a sad face with it. If I get a rude comment back, I just ignore it.
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

i just use {No thanks} and no1 really says anything but okay or something

And you, wich Final Fantasy character do you resemble?

Comment

I won't refuse a pt offer from elvaan females though.

d('-'d)
                        noein 萌え

kagerou1.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kagerou
                          I don't know why a polite "I'm sorry, I don't have time to PT." or "I'm sorry, I'm busy right now." Offends people.

For JP players, I just tell them in romanji that I couldn't pt with them (obviously politely) and they'll understand. I prefer typing in romanji over auto-translate because I sometimes get /tells from the pt leader/member if I'm Japanese. Kinda starts a nice, casual conversation with them.

The reason why people get offended is that in most cases this is an outright lie. Try inviting a BRD to party as an unpopular job and see the responses you get if you even get one....

Like the other night when a bard put flag up and right after i invted him to join a pt (i was spamming /sea all 67-70 bard so I know his flag wasn't up long). He had a search comment looking for party. His response was <I have plans.> WTF ever dude.
                          Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
                          http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'm starting to get a feeling that you are inclined to join if you are invited (which is clearly not the case). Despite FFXI being a community game, each player has his/her own agenda and to criticize someone for doing what they want with their time is pretty childish.

Someone who opens their flag up for a pt and refuse a invite is a completely different story.
                            noein 萌え

kagerou1.deviantart.com

Comment

Ya that is ignorant to pick n choose the pts you want but if your a high demand job you gonna have to learn to deal with lots of invites. Sometimes I just completely ignore them its funny to see what they start spamming at you. ><

Comment

Working...
                              X