This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I play this game with a touchpad?

I only have a laptop and wonder if I need a mouse to play this.
    I've looked around and people talk about clicking the mouse wheel. I have no mouse wheel, or mouse.
    Will this be a problem or can you set the mouse wheel command to another button?
    Thanks.

Also, is there still an active online community? This game has been out for a while now, are there alot of players in game?

Re: Can I play this game with a touchpad?

I use keyboard..mouse is useless in this game for me personally. For some others they use a controller, but if thats not an option keyboard is wayyy more better than mouse. Dont sweat it.

Comment

Yeah, you don't use a mouse in this game, it's implemented horribly... and the game is designed for use without a mouse anyway.

That said I use the numpad for navigation, and the arrow keys to adjust the camera.
      Happy happy gogo Mana is full of

http://www.dawnlinkshell.com

Comment

I've got a laptop, Keyboard is more than enough.

Was fun trying to play without it at first though, no num pad, had to hold down a button everytime i wanted to move. :p
        Kujata server:

Reneki: Elvann/Male

DRK lv 60/ Mnk lv32/ War lv28
        Thf lv30/ Whm lv28/ SAM lv21

Elias: Taru/Male
        Rdm lv11

Comment

for ffxi, you'd proally want to get a usb keyboard over a mouse :D

Comment

Here's what you do. Ditch the mouse. Buy a logitech controller for your laptop. It looks like a ps2 controller, just a little larger. If you don't you'll be dragging your mouse weee over the place just to move your character. Moreover, you can set your macro palettes to any of the buttons, as well as other commands. Get the logitech. You'll thank me later.
            ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Everyone who says a controller is better really has never tried using a keyboard. Stupid. You want a Keyboard, or else (With a controller) you have to keep picking up your keyboard everytime you wanna type something. :/ No way "You'll thank me later." He will slit your throat for buying useless crap >.> What you do want for your laptop, is a USB numpad, if you need it.
              http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

i play on a laptop. i bought a usb controller to make the game easier to play. i've tried this game with a mouse, with a keyboard, and finally with the controller. i stuck with the controller because it was sooo much better. you *can* play this game with just a keyboard (there's a setting under a menu to set the controls to the laptop-type keyboard), and some players play it on just a keyboard. but almost everyone who has ever tried this game with both the keyboard and controller has agreed that the controller is better.

by the way, i use both a controller and a usb keyboard. i keep both in my lap when playing, and typing isn't a big deal.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
                Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
                I live to entertain!

Comment

I've never had problems typing when I use my controller. Moreover, I find the controller is easier for navigating menus, targetting, and choosing abilities. I find the keyboard more effective for instant access to a particular menu (Ctrl+M will jump me straight into my Magic list without having to choose Magic from the menu) and for firing off macros immediately (no choosing with the left/right d-pad buttons.) Honestly it's a matter of personal preference. I feel awkward Tab-targetting. However, I will agree that the mouse is kinda "meh-ish."

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetkitty
                    Everyone who says a controller is better really has never tried using a keyboard.
                    The time I save whipping around the menus with a controller rather then fumbling around with a mouse more then adequately makes up for the time to use a keyboard. plus, your argument is flawed, because you still have to take your hand off the mouse to type anyway ^^

Controller is the best way to go for this game. The interface is designed for it, and thus it's better. Once you go to a controller, you'll never ever be able to go back.

Comment

I've played with a controller and keyboard and with a keyboard alone and I find the interface much more usable with the controller. Keyboard only isn't as good imo, but still entirely adequate to play the game. If your laptop keyboard doesn't have a seperate numpad you may want to buy one. The default layout with most functions on the numpad is a lot easier to me than the "compact" layout that doesn't use it.
                      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Atma
                        The time I save whipping around the menus with a controller rather then fumbling around with a mouse more then adequately makes up for the time to use a keyboard. plus, your argument is flawed, because you still have to take your hand off the mouse to type anyway ^^

Controller is the best way to go for this game. The interface is designed for it, and thus it's better. Once you go to a controller, you'll never ever be able to go back.
                        eh she meant only-keyboard v. controller+keyboard. i've never tried a controller so i won't say anything about it, but i find playing ffxi keyboard only a whole lot better than trying to use a mouse+keyboard, etc etc. :X

Comment

Originally posted by aegina
                          i play on a laptop. i bought a usb controller to make the game easier to play. i've tried this game with a mouse, with a keyboard, and finally with the controller. i stuck with the controller because it was sooo much better. you *can* play this game with just a keyboard (there's a setting under a menu to set the controls to the laptop-type keyboard), and some players play it on just a keyboard. but almost everyone who has ever tried this game with both the keyboard and controller has agreed that the controller is better.

by the way, i use both a controller and a usb keyboard. i keep both in my lap when playing, and typing isn't a big deal.
                          I HATE, repeat HATE the controller, it makes the game much harder to control, i use the "WASD" heys to move and use the arrow keys to shift my camera positions, i never have to do much moving to type, and all of the shortcuts are right there on the CRTL and ALT keys. I tried the PS2 game and almost considered buying, but the operation was so clunky and i didnt want to shell out $100 for the game and $20 for a USB keyboard just to play what i was already playing on my computer.
                          Never fear Death... simply become it...
                          http://www.insomniel.com/quizzes/dragoon.html <-- ME!

Artist: Blue Oyster Cult Lyrics
                          Song: (Don't Fear) The Reaper Lyrics
                          All our times have come
                          Here but now they're gone
                          Seasons don't fear the reaper
                          Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain..we can be like they are
                          Come on baby...don't fear the reaper
                          Baby take my hand...don't fear the reaper
                          We'll be able to fly...don't fear the reaper
                          Baby I'm your man...

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetkitty
                            Everyone who says a controller is better really has never tried using a keyboard. Stupid. You want a Keyboard, or else (With a controller) you have to keep picking up your keyboard everytime you wanna type something. :/ No way "You'll thank me later." He will slit your throat for buying useless crap >.> What you do want for your laptop, is a USB numpad, if you need it.
                            I've tried both, and I only use keyboard for typing. I sit with the keyboard in my lap and just reach down to type, which is no hassle at all. The game was designed with a controller in mind for controlling (The PS2 version was first, afterall), and the buttons make a lot more sense to me that way. Granted, I don't play many PC games, and I don't really like using a keyboard for game controls. Still, you get more analog control over movement and camera, and you don't have to hunt for the right key on the keyboard for an action. The only complaint I have against the controller stems from me using both the JP and NA PS2 versions, where the O and X button functions are swapped, and not reassignable. The controller provides much easier targeting for spells in a cluttered environment, and the macro bar pops up much faster when using a controller to trigger it as opposed to the keyboard.
                            http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
                            http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
                            http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
                            My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

ive tried both as well. i like keyboard better. its more responsive imo. especially with quickly hitting 2-3 macros in succession. with a controller, having to move the highlighted square over and click ok then bring up the macro pallete again is just too cumbersome for my taste. i know some people who swear by the controller and i think its great for a job that doesnt require too much attention. i think for tanks, pld or nin, having to quickly hit macros is vital. for something like mnk, drk, war etc, where you mainly auto attack most the time, controller is great.

having to put the controller down each time i wanted to type something is a pain too.
                              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Working...
                              X