This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the term "Jap" offensive?

Not wanting to start a flame off here but this was mentioned on another thread and I've also heard it mentioned in game.

I'm British and I'm referred to constantly as a Brit. I've heard other such shortened nationalities such as Thai and Scot. So, my question is, when did it become offensive to shorten Japanese to Jap? I'm honestly curious over this so please don't take this as a cheap shot.

Re: Why is the term "Jap" offensive?

It was used in WW2 as a derogitory term (sp?)

"Thouse dirty japs!" by Americans.
    -Baka Inu!
    Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
    Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
    Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
    Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

^
      ^
      that.
      And for thailand, we call ourself just thai too lol
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Jei, you're Thai? I never knew that >.>
        -Baka Inu!
        Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]

Comment

I never saw a single Jap get offended when I used "Jap", and I almost always use(d) "Jap" rather than "JP". The only people who ever spoke out against that term were, to my knowledge, not even part Japanese.

I don't see what could be offensive about it. Then again, I've been called "cracker", "gringo", and "yankee" and never been bothered by any of it. Kinda funny, since I'm Cuban, live in Florida, and can't technically be any of those things. (I think...)

Comment

well, would you rather keep using something and offend someone down the road, or just not get into the situation all together?

like anything, some people will be offended while others won't. better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by Coinspinner
              I never saw a single Jap get offended when I used "Jap", and I almost always use(d) "Jap" rather than "JP". The only people who ever spoke out against that term were, to my knowledge, not even part Japanese.

I don't see what could be offensive about it. Then again, I've been called "cracker", "gringo", and "yankee" and never been bothered by any of it. Kinda funny, since I'm Cuban, live in Florida, and can't technically be any of those things. (I think...)
              Well I as a (Nihonjin日本人) don't find the term Jap offensive if it wasn't meant to be that way. But I do feel you should use JP rather Jap. And anyways if they were offenbed believe me they wouldn't of even commented, maybe in LS but not to you or anybody else if you were in pt. We call ourselves JP so why not use that?
              → ☆白75☆黒37☆ ←
              ∧____∧
              (≡´。`≡) ニャンニャン♪

♂ ラブストーリー♀

Comment

Because the Japanese don't like confrentations eh Arris? (My Japanese teacher (2nd year now of having her) she keeps insisting 24/7 that Japaense People don't like to make mention of things they don't like >.>).

Also, I think it has more to do with the new age of people in Japan, the younger generation, the derogitory word is still there, in the older generation >.>.

I dunno, I'd just say don't use it:

1) It's less letters to type!
                2) it may offend some people
                3) as someone else said, you could get in trouble down the line for using it

GO go go!
                -Baka Inu!

Comment

I lived in Japan and still have a lot of friends over there. I can tell you unequivocally that there are many Japanese who find "Jap" VERY offensive. One of my friends was once reduced to tears on the streets of NYC, and several related to me that they were hesitent to get to know me because of bad past cultural experiences.

Don't use it. Being gaijin (and american at that) makes international relations hard enough. Don't make life more difficult for the rest of us just because you're a fucking idiot.

Comment

Well it is that the word in question has been used in association of being racist. Just like many other words that are used for Mexicans, Canadians, African Amercians, Australians, Indians (as in India), Native Americans, British, Scottish, etc...

I've heard the terms for almost all of those but out of respect I would never use the terms, not even for this debate. The idea of complaining about something you dislike is very frowned on in many eastern cultures. In effect the most effective method for those cultures usually ends up being to treat others with the most respect possible and they'll reciprocate.

It's generally a good rule of thumb you should always follow also regardless of culture. Just the practice usually proves harder then the preaching does.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by --e
                      One of my friends was once reduced to tears on the streets of NYC, and several related to me that they were hesitent to get to know me because of bad past cultural experiences.
                      Wow a JP reduced to tears in a very public area!? Dang what did the person say? Couldn't have just been the term "jap" becuase they are not ones for public displays.
                      Originally posted by Feba
                      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                      Originally posted by DakAttack
                      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Haha, your sig rules Grandmom.
                        -Baka Inu!

Comment

my classmates and close friends are japanese too. They were the one who told me not to use the word Jap (._.) Straight from japanese themselves it's gotta be true you know.
                          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
                            well, would you rather keep using something and offend someone down the road, or just not get into the situation all together?

like anything, some people will be offended while others won't. better to be safe than sorry.
                            What he said.

Comment

them japs on my server get pissed when we bring it up around HNM camps.
                              滅殺

Comment

Working...
                              X