Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at cloth lvl 53...

Fellow crafters

So I have been following the excellent guide and advice of pdac from the above thread. Now I am at lvl 53 and I should be making silk headbands. Well it takes 3 silk cloth for one of these babies and a stack of that costs 100k or so on my server. Ive found its much more financially sound for me to just make my own cloth, but everytime i get 12 I cant resist the urge to sell and make an easy 100k. Anyway, is there another alternative that people make for a while that isnt so pricy? Cause at this rate I dunno if I will ever have the nerve to push from 53+ since Im supposed to make these headbands for quite some time.

EDIT: blab blah I was actually talking about green ribbons blah blah. Thanks for reminding me.
    Last edited by Brayden; 07-26-2005, 07:24 AM.

Re: at cloth lvl 53...

Green ribbons, one silk cloth + wind crystal, sell to npc for 2k ish. And farm your own silk...

Comment

I been 55 cloth for the longest time..is skillup really that infrequent? I synth one-three at a time and dont synth for a while..could that be something that is stopping skill ups? Its just so annoying i am not even getting ONE skill up after like a month..

Comment

Yeah... pretty much just go farm a lot of silk... a friend of mine farmed up a lot of silk, powered his way through 60...

Comment

You can do 53-54 quite cheaply using scarlet linen (earth + 2 linen thread + 1 bloodthread).
          linen thread is cheaply made from flax flower, and bloodthread is only 2k on my server (altho usually in short supply).
          If you like you can save the scarlet linen to make Garish Tunic; the cloth doesn't sell at all it seems, but it's still cheaper than the silk road.
          Author of POLUtils (with forums here).

Comment

now i'm re-energized to get to 54. I find that silk is painful, and I havent felt like going anywhere near winy for about 3 months now.

Stuck at 53 also
            The Tao of Ren
            FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
            Originally posted by Kaeko
            As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Scarlet linen is a good idea. I also saved my green ribbons (well, as many as I could) to try to desynth them. However, in the end, I think I lost just about as much money desynthing these than I would have selling to NPC. HOWEVER, I did get some skill ups (I didn't start desynthing until 60).

I actually leveled for a bit on gold thread. This was a while ago, and depends on the server, but gold thread is actually something you can make for a profit. And, since I was lvling goldsmithing for sub anyway...I like dual-skill ups.

Comment

Keep at it! The silk stage is tough, but you're rewarded by the ease of Black Chocobo fletchings

And then you're smacked hard by Spider webs...but it's all good
                PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                Currently Playing:
                FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Been stuck at 52 myself forever now. Just kind've burned out at looking at ridiculous silk prices and the thought of farming...I'll have to get back into the game eventually and look at some recipes. Anyone have any new useful links for crafting?

Comment

Silk drives a lot of people into the crazy range. Personally, I find a handy way of getting around it.

Every new job I level up, I level up in Windurst. Crawlers die. Lots and lots of lovely dead crawlers piled to the roof.

Honestly, I think cross-crafting is the best way to "bridge" through the silk road- gold thread to 58 and you can risk Hyo at that point, burning a single silk thread per shot (plus three cotton and an iron ingot) on the road to 65. Why not level up two skills at once if you need to? 65 puts you just at the edge of sanity for Black Chocobo fletchings. I was lucky and did the 50's pre-silk-nightmare. I seriously wish now I'd worked up more goldsmith levels, and I may do it just to have the skill later for the final push towards the 90's.

Am I nuts in considering Pinwheels for 72-77, considering the ever spiraling cost of spider webs?

Comment

I'm also stuck here, 51 actualy, and yes the silk prices drive you nuts. I've just been farming, sometimes making my boyfriend come keep me company =3 and buying singles when they get to the 3k-3.5k range. This is going to suck ><
                      WHM 59 BLM 56 The dream me Ricko, Masamuni and Drakos (yea I know =P)
                      Clothcraft 62.0+1 Rank 6 San'doria
                      Shadow Banisher, Dead Body, BlueElephantBrigade Member

Comment

Hell yeah, silk is expensive. but you really want to spare the gil for gold thread?? i was the same way.. with no loss you will break even or+ but with any loss in gold ingot.. that hurts.. and you will fail while skill up.... hyo is a way to go from about 57 till 62... i will go the silk road green ribbon->hyo->62
                        i guess i will spend 1.4m for 7 levels and then again for the enxt step, 1m+
                        times making profit on skilling up are gone
                        Monchichie

Ayumie

Comment

There are a couple alternatives here. Keep in mind that if silk prices get too high, you can always desynth black capes (around 10k each) and yield 2 silk threads. I'm not sure if that is a viable option, since I don't know the prices on your server. Its getting close on mine.

I only offerred gold thread if you are duel skilling. Gold in the 40s is very very expensive to level in and of itself, and is quite a loss most of the time. And as long as you skill within 5 levels on the right moon, you rarely lose. In addition, I made about 10k/synth on this, since gold thread was not something people like to make. Besides, my mule is a high level goldsmither, so I am kind of imune to losing ingots now (except the orich ones - those still hurt).

You can avoid silk thread, depending on wool prices with Field Hose (earth+linen cloth+wool thread+2x wool cloth). The price on that may be cheaper since silk is rising to much.

Comment

while having another char where you can make you own gold ingot, its maybe not as bad as i meantioned.

dual skilling on both skills with >5level under cap brings you garanted synth with skill up, thats the good side of life ^^
                            i checked it for me, but with successful synth i`ll loos gil because of our economie... not to say what about a fail in the ingots.
                            Monchichie

Ayumie

Comment

Originally posted by kamalii
                              There are a couple alternatives here. Keep in mind that if silk prices get too high, you can always desynth black capes (around 10k each) and yield 2 silk threads. I'm not sure if that is a viable option, since I don't know the prices on your server. Its getting close on mine.

I only offerred gold thread if you are duel skilling. Gold in the 40s is very very expensive to level in and of itself, and is quite a loss most of the time. And as long as you skill within 5 levels on the right moon, you rarely lose. In addition, I made about 10k/synth on this, since gold thread was not something people like to make. Besides, my mule is a high level goldsmither, so I am kind of imune to losing ingots now (except the orich ones - those still hurt).

You can avoid silk thread, depending on wool prices with Field Hose (earth+linen cloth+wool thread+2x wool cloth). The price on that may be cheaper since silk is rising to much.
                              Speaking of dual-skilling and gold thread- since the GS cap of Gold Thread is 41, we actually have options...with a little practice. (It's good to work on GS/Smithing anyway, as some of our high-end synths use em both).

Brass ingots to 9. Silver Thread will get you to 12 GS. Brass hairpins, 17 (save on supplies, desynth these and remake for more skillups). Silver ingots 20(ore at guild shop = 300 or so on best day, so approx 1600 cost per ingot-AH em or save em)/Sabiki Rigs 21(copper from ore ingots cheap, from Yagudo necklaces cheaper- cotton thread not tough). Silver Hairpins and Thief's Tools to 28. Hiraishin 31/Silver rings 32. Spark daggers, 38. Grats, you're now within the "sweet spot" for skillups with Gold Thread. You're also able to refine mithril, too. If you want to, you can also continue up to 41 with mithril ingots, 49 with silver bangles.

Most of the GS/Smithing work can be easily done in Bastok- just sit there and mine, mine, mine in Zerhun between low-cost days at the Goldsmith's guild for silver ore. You'll be able to end up with 20+ smithing skill and the aforementioned GS work while you're at it. Sell off the occasional bit of darksteel ore as you get them (I usually end up with 1-2 a day spent mining) and you'll be doing fine as far as keeping your cash flow up. Stacks of iron/brass ingots don't hurt the pocket either. You'll just develop a strange lust for fire crystals.

But even 20ish GS is nice. Silver thread sells fairly nicely on the AH, at least where I am.

Again, though- it's worth it to study and learn dual-skill recipes as you go. You -will- want those secondaries to level up along the way, and sometimes it's profitable making those multiskill items, since fewer people do them. I was a happy camper making bronze beds, for example. Silver thread treated me just fine. Making your own gold thread is handy at the top, too- and the GS skill is needed for a lot of Errant gear. Ditto Leatherworking- there's good reasons some of the lower-level new stuff (Noct gear/Trader's) has leatherworking secondaries. It's to give people reasons to up that skill for when that high-end stuff demands the skill to make. And Smithing for that matter.

When you hit that "wall" at the silk road level, consider taking some time to polish your secondary skills. If nothing else, it feels really nice leveling up with .2 and .3 gains again.

Comment

Working...
                              X