Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferry fishing question

Hi-o all,
    I was seasrching previous posts and didn't find an answere to my question, so here it is. I'm a lev 17.?? fisher and I'm thinking of hitting the Ferry for Nebs. (halcyon-shrimp lure). When the ferry lands, can I just turn arounf and re-board or do I need to leave the dock area, run around, pay the ferry fee and re-board?
    thanks all
    Jet

Re: Ferry fishing question

You can reboard without paying the fee again. It's like the airship. Only thing I dont recommend is using the shrimp lure. I think they're like 25k a piece on my server and you can snap your pole and your line with that setup on a ferry.

Comment

Try crayfish paste. Don't use shrimp lure. You can buy the paste cheap from fishing guild in both windurst and whitegate.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I confirm that you can re-board without paying.

I used Crayfish Paste for the Nebimonites. But my Cooking is high enough to make them myself. I'm not sure what they sell for on the AH.

In case you don't already know, you can target and catch fish that are much higher level than you. Sometimes fish are considered easy for their level cap and others are considered tough (like bluetail). Nebimonites cap @ 27. At your level you could even try for something in the mid-30s.

edit: I type too slow! Jei beat me!
        Last edited by Nakti; 06-02-2006, 03:14 PM.
        They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks all, esp for this crayfish paste tip..saving gil yay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nakti
            In case you don't already know, you can target and catch fish that are much higher level than you. !
            I can confirm that this is true. My fishing is only at 12, but I fish for nebs on the ferry with Halycon Rod/Crayfish Paste and I can catch just about as efficiently as my LS bud who has his fishing at 22. The only thing that sucks while I've been fishing for nebs is the skillup rate. I think I've gotten around .5 skill for 6-7 stacks. It might be normal but it seems slower than when I was skilling on sardines and crayfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Austral
              I can confirm that this is true. My fishing is only at 12, but I fish for nebs on the ferry with Halycon Rod/Crayfish Paste and I can catch just about as efficiently as my LS bud who has his fishing at 22. The only thing that sucks while I've been fishing for nebs is the skillup rate. I think I've gotten around .5 skill for 6-7 stacks. It might be normal but it seems slower than when I was skilling on sardines and crayfish.
              The problem is the level gap between fish. According to some of the higher leveled fishers I speak with, the higher the gap between your level and the level of the fish, the less likely the chance of skill ups. You'll get them but it will take a lot longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Asir
                The problem is the level gap between fish. According to some of the higher leveled fishers I speak with, the higher the gap between your level and the level of the fish, the less likely the chance of skill ups. You'll get them but it will take a lot longer.
                This could be true. I never really paid much attention to the rate of skillups since I knew I would go crazy if I tracked their turtle-like progress. So I just pick fish that are either useful or profitable for me and as long as I can catch them at a decent rate I'm happy. The skillup rate has been very random for me, though, and seemed to vary more with moon-phase than with skill gap or fish.

(I'm fishing 63 right now, btw.)
                They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Nakti
                  This could be true. I never really paid much attention to the rate of skillups since I knew I would go crazy if I tracked their turtle-like progress. So I just pick fish that are either useful or profitable for me and as long as I can catch them at a decent rate I'm happy. The skillup rate has been very random for me, though, and seemed to vary more with moon-phase than with skill gap or fish.

(I'm fishing 63 right now, btw.)
                  Shorty after making my origional reply, I started lvling a job at Qufim and fished up Yellow Globes with my Sabiki/Halycon. I noticed a much quicker skillup rate: .4 skill for 2 stacks. Seeing how they cap at 17 it would support Asir's notion and my suspuscion that achieving skill-ups is indeed influenced by the relative range of your skill to the skill cap.

Comment

I don't think it's as simple as that. At 54, I've more skillups lately on Bastore Bream (86) than I have from Silver Shark (76), Noble Lady (66), or Bhefel Marlin (61). Admittedly these are small samples, but after catching about a dozen of each, I got 3 skillups off bream, 2 of off marlins and sharks combined, and only 1 of off noble ladies.

Then there's another consideration in that Silver Shark and Bhefel Marlin fight a lot harder than Noble Lady or Bastore Bream, even though the bream is higher level than either, so it takes me a lot longer to pull them in or possibly lose them, giving me less chances for skillup.
                    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Judging by these two observations, it would be fair to say that maybe both the level of the fish and how hard they fight determine your skill up rate. Although one would think the hard the catch, the better the chance of a skillup.

Comment

A lot of people have similar experience about skilling up on fish capping near your skill. I haven't notice that myself tho.
                        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
                        X