This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasted Corn good for leveling skill?

My cooking is at level 0 and has been like that since I got it. I don't make enough gil for my spells and armors let alone enouugh for the expensive San d'Orion Carrots. A friend of mine just found a new and cheap recipe. All you need is one corn (don't know it's exact name) and a Fire Crystal to make Roasted Corn. The corn only costs 61g at the guildhouse in Windurst. My question is, will this recipe let my cooking skill skill up, and as fast as Carrot Broth?

Also, say I was to drop everything I'm doing and just worked on my cooking, at what level will I be able to start making a decent profit, and how fast can I reach that level? I'm on the 360 server (Hydra) btw.

Re: Roasted Corn good for leveling skill?

Err in a retail server this would result in a loss because Water Crystals are not as valuable as Fire Crystals. I would continue doing broths, but in Hydra it really depends on prices that have been developed there and which nation conquers Aragoneu more often(unless you live in sandy). Check crystal prices and see.

Comment

Yeah if you have plenty of Fire crystals then go for it. But it caps at level 2 I belive. Fire crystals are 6k on Gilgamesh and Water Crystals are 2k a stack. So I'd definetly go with Water Crystals and Broth. And when i got to level 3 I started using Water Crystal+ Saruta Oranges x4 to make orange juice. I'm level 8 at the moment and I heard it doesn't cap until level 10. So I'll be doing that until then. ^^
      37WHM/25BRD/17BLM/16THF/07WAR/05MNK All other Jobs 1.

Gilgamesh Server
      Rank5

Comment

At level 8 I'd move on to sliced sardines >.>

Comment

I prefer carrot brooth. carrot is always unlimited in sandoria. and water crystals are a lot cheaper.
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I was also able to buy carrots in bastok on garuda for around 29 gill each from one of the Vendors in port Bastok, water crystals being cheap (and if like me i had just done 4 levels in quafim fighting crabs, plentyfull to obtain from mobs) I have now reached lvl 5 and been farming bird eggs to make boiled eggs which will do me till 6. i do all my crafting at the guild as i can get synth support to do the slightly higher level crafts.

Comment

There's a juice for every level. Orange juice caps at 10 and is relatively cheap to make. Heck, if you're a mage of some sort, you can skill up and make some juices for yourself in a party at the same time. Great to have when there's a BRD in your PT or there's no RDM or BRD seeking.
              Kametame
              Server: Lakshmi

75 BLM | 75 SMN | 37 WHM

Summoning Skill 262/269 (ZOMG! 7 to go!)

w/Equips and Merits 304/269

Comment

Farm ya items especialy water crystals(Pugils drop them outside town ya can kill em easy) Corn sells from a Vendor or the cooking guild ^^ Also these H.Q easy later on so they sell well in dunes(On Bahamut they do anyway)

Character: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?86132
                Fenrir Won: 11/08/2006
                Diablos Won: 07/03/2007

Comment

I would do either peeled crayfish (if you like fishing in town) or carrot broth. Then switch to Orange Juice. When I leveled cooking I also started leveling my mage jobs to get some value out of my juices. They cut resting time down when you solo between levels 1-10.

Then look at bug broth, sliced sardines or sliced bluetail (agian if you like fishing). Sliced bluetail seemed to sell wel for me.

The next stage I would look at Pet food Beta and Selbina Butter. Then I think I went with Insect paste. It is a large level gap, but the ingrediants are dirt cheep from vendors and these things sell well to fishermen.

After the insect paste I went with some pineapple juice and black bread. Looking back I think I should of checked out meatballs as well.

Then its on to Pet food Delta or Melon Juice. I think I did mostly melon juice. Once at level 37 swith to pie dough. You will use this in the future so save some and sell some. From Pie dough (lvl42) I went straight to apple pies. Then to crayfish balls, egg soup and finished up with Yag drinks at level 60.

Now on to at what level you can start making a decent profit. It sort of depends on your server, but when I leveled cooking to 60 I finished with more gil than I started with. There are so places that you will lose gil, but for the most time it was slight profit.

I would say that at level 60 I can make an OK profit with Meatmithkabobs, and yag drinks. But not what I would call decent profit. Most of the profit in crafting comes from HQ synths so you should try to get at least 31 levels above any synth that you want to make a real profit on.

As far as speed to get to that level. It all depends on the amount of gil you have to start with and how much time you spend researching your craft and leveling it. I got to level 60 in three days.

Comment

Bad necroposter! Bad!

*Haste, Enspell, gogo Hornetneedle!*

RDM 75/WHM 38/BLM 37/DRK 37/NIN 37/PLD 37 -- Cooking 96.7+1
                    Image by Askannyi
                    LoneGamer.net

Comment

Fire Crystals on Lakshmi have dropped to 2-3k a stack. I think they're actually the second cheapest crystal now, right after earth which go for 500-1000g.

I don't claim to be well versed in matters of gilselling, but I think this has to do with a bunch of lowbie gilsellers leveling new jobs after bans, targeting one of the few profitable markets they have access to at that level, and ruining it do to flooding.

At any rate, to anyone reading this thread still wondering about what synth to start cooking with, check crystal prices first. They're not what they once were, and you can't just assume whether Peeled Crayfish, Carrot Broth, or Roasted Corn will be the cheapest anymore.
                      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Crystal prices always seem to jump all over the place every few months anyway. Even what is normally high on my server has it's periods of being super low because of people trying to take advantage of it or a rash of people leveling jobs in specific areas. If you are leveling a job in conjunction with a craft, I found fire crystals are easy enough to come by if you start at Windy. The crows and gobs drop them and by the time you make your way to the lizards in the dunes, you can usually have a nice stockpile. I muled all of my fire crystals from the last time I took a job from 1-37 a few months ago, and I've got enough to last me for a few more months.

Comment

I think the low crystal prices are caused by a large number of players leveling one or more of the new jobs from level 1 in addition to new Xbox players leveling any job, many starting at 1.

Cooking starts to get decently profitable starting with insect balls and meatballs come next. Lower synths (e.g. meat jerky) may sell for a profit but do not move quickly.

Comment

Working...
                          X