how to be successful at chocobo racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to be successful at chocobo racing

Requirements: personal chocobo that is an adult, have signed up at a CRA branch in Windurst, Bastok, or San d'Oria.

In a personal chocobo, that means having a chocobo being raised at any of the chocobo stables in those three cities.

Upon registering at the CRA, trade either a CRA registration form or the VCS registration form. You can obtain the CRA registration form if your chocobo is still being raised, if your chocobo is retired you must use the VCS form.

Chocobo abilities: They should have Gallop and Canter. These abilities give speed boosts. All three superchocos you will encounter in the free runs have both abilities. Abilities tend to take more priority than stats or items.

The best way to get both abilities yet focus on stats is by finding 2 chococards (male and female) that have just the canter ability. This will save you time later down the road. Upon hatching of the egg, the chick should have canter. If it does not, retire that chick and repeat the step only using different chococards until the chick is born with canter.

Next, raise the chick's discernment stat with zegham carrots and listen to music. If the chick is in San d'Oria use the walk option upon giving it its daily attention, otherwise use the watch over the chocobo. It is very important to get the chocobo to treat you as its parent as quickly as possible.

Eventually you will get a chocobo with Average discernment. Start using the Tell a Story feature as soon as you can do so with Story of Impatient Chocobo. The chocobo should learn this ability quickly.

Once the chocobo has Gallop and Canter, change the care plans to Carry Packages and start feeding Vomp Carrots. This should happen around Day 22-25. Upon checking on chocobo daily, use the longest walks possible. Your chocobo should get first class in both by Day 63.

Racing. As soon as chocobo hits adult, you should spend 80 chocobucks to get it intensive training on strength and another 80 chocobucks for endurance. Results will not happen instantly. Spend the chocobucks on other 2 stats as soon as you can.

Take part in as many free races that you can, provided if your money allows it. This is the only way to get your chocobucks. By the time you hit Impressive strength, you should be able to do well in most free races.

On the items, only save them for official races. Speed apples and stamina apples are cheap and easy to make, and work very well. Save foulweather frogs for the official races as certain birds you will encounter simply hate rain.

Eventually, you can sell breeding rights (chococards) in bazaars. This is where your gil seems to come in, as everyone is after the canter or gallop abilities.

Official Races

As soon as you feel comfortable, you should save chocobucks for the official races. If you fail the objective, you must spend chocobucks to try again. If you clear an official race, you must wait til JP midnight time before getting another.

Official Race 1: Beat Best - 3 chocobucks. Best's jockey will use a speed apple.

Official Race 2: Place 3rd or higher - Cid's challenge - 5 chocobucks. They will use speed apples.

Official Race 3: Place 3rd or higher - Windurst race - 10 chocobucks. Some of your opponents have gallop or canter, but not both. The competitors will use spore bombs, gyhasl bombs, and fire biscuits. This is one of the hardest races I have seen. I suggest using Final Spurt and Speed Apple for this one. It took me 2 attempts clear this race.

Official Race 4: Place 1st - 15 chocobucks. This is a race between you, Best, and Air. Best will use a speed apple, Air will use stamina apple. They have no abilities but decent speed. Use sprint or final spurt with a speed apple.

Official Race 5: Place 1st - 20 chocobucks - Its you against 7 other chocobos, and 2 of them got canter and very good speed. The other 5 chocobos don't have great speed. If you think official race 3 was hard, this one is even harder. Use Keep Pace and say a prayer, as opponents will use some nasty items, and every one will use them. I have tried this race twice and failed both times.

Free Race Pattern

The free races will run a pattern of 8 races. Cost start at 100 gil and caps at 1000 gil. The cost resets back to 100 gil after JP midnight time. There is no limit to free races you can do during a real life day. The patterns may change but will be one of the 8 below.

1. mixed chocobos involving 2 random super chocos
    2. mixed chocobos involving 2 random super chocos
    3. chocobos from one nation
    4. chocobos from one nation
    5. chocobos from one nation
    6. mixed chocobos without super chocos
    7. mixed chocobos without super chocos
    8. mixed chocobos with all 3 super chocos

the superchocos are in a tandem with one other choco. The superchocos will always use a speed apple. their teammates will either use gysahl bombs or stamina apples. The other chocobos will either not use an item or use a fire/pepper biscuit. Their teammates are inferior to the superchocos. The superchocos will have both gallop and canter ability and first-class strength. They will have the other 3 stats leveled but it varies per chocobo. The superchocos are StarOnion, InvincibleLeg, and MeteorBrain.

I suggest setting up the pattern where the 3 super chocobos will always be the 100 gil race, as you are lucky to get 4th place. (You can detect that by visiting paddocks then hitting quit. You are not charged until you hit Start Race.)

Rewards for free races
    1st: 5 chocobucks
    2nd: 3 chocobucks
    3rd-7th: 1 chocobucks
    8th: nothing
    Last edited by Ayrlie; 04-03-2007, 03:12 PM. Reason: race 5
    Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
    Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Re: how to be successful at chocobo racing

Bookmarked.
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

yeah, added official races, and #5 is a pain in the rear end right now, already failed it twice even with the chocobo that my mule has. canter makes all the difference in the world.
      Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
      Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

I have got canter and gallop on my bird but I lost intrest and took a break during the str raising process so I basically had a chocobo that hated me with average abouts str, end, rec and dis. I only just started playing again so havnt had a chance to check out the choco racing, do you think with the 2 abilities and avg str/end that I could do all of the above or would you recommend the breeding with another canter chocobo and starting again like you said above?
        75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
        Woodworking 91.9+2
        ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Working...
        X