Breeding a Speedy Chocobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding a Speedy Chocobo

I wanted to name my chocobo something with "Red" in it, so we'd be matching, but anyway, that's besides the point.

At the moment of posting, I'm watching over it, and I am currently in day two.

I want a FAST chocobo. And unless I'm mistaken, I need to max out it's strength.

No matter where I look, I can't find any info regarding which day care plans raise which stat. So any input, or directions would be appreciated. Also, before it hatches, what food should I be feeding it? (And the egg was faintly warm when I bought it.)
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Re: Breeding a Speedy Chocobo

As soon as the egg hatch, you'll get more 2 more options for the care plan. Walk, and listen to music. Change it to walking as soon as your chocobo hatches.

based on http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Chocobo_Raising , the food you want to feed is Vomp Carrot. I'm feeding my chocobo exlusively this carrot too with care plan of 4 days walking 1 day listening to music. I started a bit late XD he's still a chic 14 days old everything still poor so far.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Carrot paste has the same effect as vomp carrot and may be cheaper depending on the price of carrots on your server and whether you or a friend has cooking skill. Feeding my chick a paste a day got her to substandard endurance before turning adolecent and substandard strength a day or two later.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Excersize care pland and vomp carrots really...
        Originally posted by Ellipses
        Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
        Originally posted by MCLV
        A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
        More Sig:

Comment

For me, I'm raising my chocobo on 2 vomp carrots (for physical stats) and an azouph green (for affection) and doing deliver messages for the care plan. The azouph green is to keep affection high so the care plan has a better effect. The carrots, while they do help, are much less effective than care plans. In the time it took Strength to go up 3 or 4 times from carrots and care plans, endurance only went up 1 time due to carrots (delivering messages doesn't change endurance, so the carrots were the only contributor)

Comment

Ok, thanks for the link. I remember those pictures from the update, but I wasn't able to find them.

Ok, it'll hatch what, day 6? Will it be more or less exactly 6 days after I gave it to the VCS?

Also, How tired does each activity make it, and when should I feed it to recover? Also, I'll have it take a walk as soon as it's born, but when can I expect to have more plans open?

I'm asking these because I'm planning on utilizing:
            Taking a walk
            Exercising alone
            Exercising in a group
            Carrying Packages
            Delivering messages

Of course, I want to know when to appropriately feed it and have it rest.
            The Tao of Ren

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
            As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by zagex View Post
              The azouph green is to keep affection high so the care plan has a better effect. The carrots, while they do help, are much less effective than care plans.
              When they're babies and not on a rigorous care plan, you can feed Carrot Paste exclusively. My 2nd (new baby) chocobo eats 1-2 Balls of Carrot Paste (Vomp Carrots make this paste) every day that he's not "receptive to anything you give him". On receptive days (roughly every other day), he receives 1-2 Balls of Worm Paste (Cupid worms) depending on how hungry he is. The most he's ever eaten was 3 balls and it was only one time. Most of the time he gets full from just 1-2 balls. I'm thinking Parasite/Gregarious once he gets older. With my first chocobo, I fed Azouphs during package delivery and still got periodic receptive state (which I assume is like "Parent+1" Affection). Since I'm not raising a Racing (Strength) chocobo, but rather a Riding (Strength/Endurance) chocobo, I won't be using the Deliver Messages care plan (which is probably what you will do when your chocobo reaches adult stage). I did notice that with my first chocobo (failed Endurance/Discernment) that the big negative arrow on the Dig For Treasure plan is really, really BIG--seemingly much bigger than the medium negative arrow for affection on the lower care plans. Duchesse was, despite feeding only Azouphs and full stamina depletion with affection rapidly declining in affection, so much so that in order to compensate, I had to drop her care plan back down to Deliver Packages frequently. I'm hoping this Riding Chocobo plan will allow me to maintain a nice level of rigor in the care plan and, at most, need to compensate with Affection foods. Worming, I do believe, is a very beneficial part of chocobo raising though it is quite expensive. I still have no idea what Parasite Worms actually do or what amount of feeding is necessary to notice an effect. I doubt they're intended for baby chocobos, however, as they are not "pasteable".

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
                Everything
                Wait...... What? What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Oh dear Altanna, I'm going to be a horrible parent ;.;
                The Tao of Ren

Comment

Oh, it shouldn't be terribly hard, I was just being descriptive. Chocobo raising is fun. ^^ I assume you've probably got more money than me, so you shouldn't have trouble with feed.
                  Refer to the chart chart with the colorful arrows.

1. Baby: Walk around town, Eat Carrot Paste or Worm Paste (Worm only when receptive)

2. Young: Deliver Packages, Eat Carrots and Azouph greens to maintain an acceptable rate of Receptivity (your chocobo handler will inform you of receptivity and you should become very familiar with it during "Baby"). Feed worms as desired.

3. Adult: Deliver Messages, Eat Azouphs (you'll probably need them). Downgrade Careplan to Carry Packages if affection drops. You may not necessarily want to continue worming at this stage because of the effectiveness of the care plan, but remember nobody knows quite how this stuff all works yet.

[EDIT: Add another note regarding attributes]

Note that riding time is determined by Endurance while Speed is determined by Strength. The basic idea behind my Riding Chocobo breeding program is to create the best sum between Strength and Endurance. It is entirely possible that my plan will, again, fail if the Deliver Messages program is extraordinarily effective versus Package delivery. Remember though that affection affects the chocobo's adherence to the care plan and how well it works in general, therefore, too much Messaging might make your Chocobo hate you and then the benefit of the big strength care plan will be lost.

There's sort of a "Yin/Yang" thing going on here. Balance is my basic concept, but who knows... maybe specialization is the best. Of course, I doubt I'd ride my chocobo much if he went 400mph (kph?) but only lasted 5 minutes. He will also undoubtedly be too dumb to dig.

I would also like to mention that as a side effect of something in this care plan my baby has acquired "Ill-Tempered" personality which is said by the NPC to make him a good "Military" chocobo. He briefly flirted with the "Patient" personality which makes him good at package delivery. I don't give a flying whoop if he's "good" at it as long as he gets the necessary exercise and grows properly--the money isn't spectacular...
                  Last edited by Sabaron; 10-20-2006, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I'm basically working off the same idea as Sabaron. Today (day 13) I've had strength go up to substandard. I've been using walk around town, short walk and watch over chocobo, and feeding 1 ball of carrot paste each day (it's been completely full after that).

Btw, if you're trying to keep costs down, it's worth growing your own chocobo food (click here or here for info).

Edit: My chocobo picked up the ill-tempered personality trait pretty quickly and hasn't changed from that.

Edit 2: Day 14 (still chick), endurance went up to substandard, strength was back to poor and temperament went to patient.
                    Last edited by kiffkin; 10-21-2006, 11:17 AM. Reason: read Sabaron's edit, updated info
                    I have heard that those who celebrate life
                    walk safely amongst the wild animals.
                    When they go into battle, they remain unharmed,
                    the animals find no place to attack them
                    and weapons are unable to harm them.
                    Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Comment

So technically, as long as I feed it every day to keep the strength up, I can feasably have it rigorously working all the time?

I'm assuming that it's like for me will go down, meaning that I might have to change the care plan to something relaxing, but I just wanted to make sure I had this concept down.
                      The Tao of Ren

Comment

Another note on a question you had. With respect to "Resting", I think this is a cheap option for healing a sick or wounded chocobo without using Wildgrass. My advice is never rest the chocobo because this will not yield any benefit to his useful stats. Waking the chocobo up prematurely will also decrease affection. You shouldn't need to rest your chocobo--their stamina bar will refill completely if fed to full. Rigorous careplans will sap a portion of their stamina which you would normally use to go on walks, compete, or tell stories--all of which increase affection to some degree. Most chocobos will get bored periodically--Duchesse got bored all the time so I had to race her daily. I suspect that racing yields less affection than walking... If you need more energy, use a Chocolixir or a Gregarious Worm. The problem with the Gregarious Worm other than the fact that they're really expensive is that you can only feed them to the chocobo at certain times. Apparently, feeding worms at the wrong time has a negative affect, but I've not had the stomach to "experiment" with this and have only ever given worms on receptive days for fear of wasting a day; therefore, I don't know what the negative effects of improper worming are. The problem with the Chocolixir (other than the fact that they're really really expensive and/or difficult to make) is that it is considered "food", so it takes up a feeding slot which could be used for affection food (Azouph Greens), stat food (Carrots), or Worms.

[EDIT: Disclaimer]
                        People still don't know anything except for the most basic concepts regarding chocobo raising and all information/advice I provide is solely based on one (failed) chocobo experiment and my reading/interpretation of the data provided by Square Enix. All things regarding Chocobo Raising should be considered, at this time, to be Experimental. The chocobo population is 2nd generation at the most and SE recently changed the numbers. Therefore, you are conducting a Chocobo Experiment, and not following an algorithm. I suggest you work with the data yourself and poke around here and there to come up with something you think will work. You could easily be righter (^^) than anyone who gives you advice and sometimes great wisdom comes from new insight (even though everyone is fairly new at this).
                        Last edited by Sabaron; 10-20-2006, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Iight that's fine. I'm about to check my chocobo again, and forgive me if I'm asking retarded questions, but I REALLY don't know anything about chocobo raising, and I don't want to waste a RL month.

I already know the pain of planting Tree Saplings just to have them not turn into Earth Ores or w/e, and wasting time hurts.

I'm going to go plant some wildgrass (thank you for the link kiffkin!) and plant 5 pots each of Az Greens and Vomp Carrots.

Thanks for the plan and the info on what the VCS handler tells, Sabaron. I thought chocobo raising was one of those mysterious things, and I was getting paranoid.
                          The Tao of Ren

Comment

Azouph Greens are easy to get. Carrots are relatively hard, and worms are pretty rare. You'll also want to get these (you definitely don't need more than one stack of each...I used about 2 each over the 45ish days I had my first chocobo before I retired her).

1) Tokopekko Wildgrass: Cures illness
                            2) Gausebit Grass: Heals injuries

Garidav Wildgrass is for stomach aches. I don't think you're chocobo should get a stomach ache unless you overfeed it. My first one never needed this stuff, but she did get sick or injured occasionally.

Comment

-Tokopekko Wildgrass
                              -Gausebit Grass (LoL, from the first Chocobo Quest that we do... I wonder if it's still dirt cheap)
                              -Azouph Greens
                              -Vomp Carrots

Looks like 10 pots might not be enough
                              The Tao of Ren

Comment

Working...
                              X