Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone's chocobo changed colors between adolescent to adult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone's chocobo changed colors between adolescent to adult?

I've read on the wiki that "The color tips of your chocobo indicate that your chocobo has a small chance of being that color when full grown. Don't expect it as the occurrence rate seems low.", but every colored chocobo so far seems to have had its colors showing since the adolescent stage. Can anyone report if this hasn't been the case for them? Also, has anyone gone from white tipped (yellow) adolescent to a colored one in the adult stage? I've been raising mine (ill-tempered) purely for strength/endurance while taking a walk as my only care plan and was slightly disappointed at getting a white-tipped adolescent. Ah well.

Re: Has anyone's chocobo changed colors between adolescent to adult?

Meep... I've heard rumors about people with black-tipped adolescent chocos that grew up yellow, but I've yet to hear that from somebody that I felt was actually a reliable source. (note: If somebody posted it here, I might not have read it because I only spend a short amount of time here each day, so please don't take offense and think that I meant you were an unreliable source. Most likely I just didn't read it)

My chocobo had black tailfeathers as an adolescent and grew up to be a black chocobo. My RL husband's chocobo (which I also somehow got stuck raising... go figure) had white tailfeathers as an adolescent and grew up yellow.

Nobody I've talked to about chocobos on my server (Ramuh) had a chocobo with any color OTHER than white in adolescence, nor an adult chocobo any color OTHER than yellow. The black & blue ones seem to be incredibly rare and I consider myself extremely fortunate to have one.
    召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
    San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

Yeah, I haven't seen anything to that effect either. When the red and green chocobo's are released we'll see though. If an adolescent version of red and green show up in the dats then you'll know without a doubt that adolescent stage shows the color they'll be as an adult.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

A member of my LS had a chocobo with Blue tipped wings that grew up to be yellow. She was pretty disapointed, since she thought for sure she was going to get a fully blue adult.
        Main Jobs: DRG75 PLD56
        Sub Jobs: WAR37, BLU37, SAM37, DRK46

Merits:
        Angon (1) Deep Breathing (1) Empathy (2)
        Polearm (6) Sword (2) Crit Hit % (2) MP (2)

Crafts:
        Smithing (26.0), Clothcraft (59.8)

Mission Progress:
        Bastok Rank 10, ZM 16, CoP 3-5
        ToAU 44, Chief Sergeant
        WoTG 7, Mythril Wings $$

Comment

Originally posted by Greylynx View Post
          A member of my LS had a chocobo with Blue tipped wings that grew up to be yellow. She was pretty disapointed, since she thought for sure she was going to get a fully blue adult.
          That one I'm not sure about. The Blue tips and the Grayish White can easily be confused, the person likely just confused the colors. I would expect to hear this from people thinking they were going to get a Blue one from the adolescent colors, Blue and White tips are easily confusable from what I've seen.

The black tipped ones though are pretty un-mistakable.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Greylynx View Post

Also, it could be (though maybe not, but who knows) a monitor definition problem. Some people have their brightness/contrast settings too high or their color ratio off just a little, not getting the true intended color that really appears in the code. In some instances this has been the case, however unless you are there in person to check there is no way to be sure. They may not even realize it because they are used to the colors being that way.

However, it may very well be that it did happen that way but I have yet to see pictures/screen shots of these occurances, therefore it's only hearsay instead of fact.

If your fellow linkshell friend does indeed have screen shots, please by all means post them for us to see (adolescent to adult with visible names of the chocobo, chick to adolescent to adult would be better but the first is just as good). I think it would help us all out who are gathering facts to either debunk or indeed confirm that it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekomieu View Post
              Also, it could be (though maybe not, but who knows) a monitor definition problem. Some people have their brightness/contrast settings too high or their color ratio off just a little, not getting the true intended color that really appears in the code....
              If anyone doesn't know about this, there are a few monitor calibration programs out there. Most Adobe design products (not Reader) come with a calibrator called Adobe Gamma. If you don't have this, there's one called Praxisoft WiziWYG that you can get for free. Keep in mind that you have to be quite the discerning individual to actually use one because the calibration tool is, in fact, your own eye, so if you have a spouse/friend/coworker/child/etc. who has a keener sense of color than you do...have them do the calibration. There's also one for Linux--find it here if you're a Torvalds fan--it's called DJV. Please note that I haven't had the inclination to test it yet, but if you do Linux, you're perfectly capable of checking it out for yourself. Have at it.

Most people's monitors are just fine out of the box for most people. A lot of people have a tendency to overcorrect their Contrast/Brightness as Nekomieu said--this will help fix that. There's also a website with calibration images on it here if you're not into software or have an advanced monitor and/or Video card that handles white point and gamma adjustments (which is quite common these days, my Video Card has Gamma and color correction and my monitor has a user-adjustable three color white point).

Note that when you're looking at the color squares, and you have glasses/contacts, it might be easier to just take them off rather than standing 10ft from your computer screen to get the lines to blur out.

[EDIT: Add]
              People also have a tendency to oversaturate Blue because adding blue to white creates a color that appears to be "whiter-than-white" or "super-white". This may be responsible for the overabundance of "blue" tailfeather adolescents that grow up yellow.
              Last edited by Sabaron; 10-10-2006, 06:57 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

Let's test this right now... I am on day 28 with blue tips:

(My first one was yellow so I am sure it isn't white/gray tips.)
                *Under Construction*

Comment

That is the cutest chocobo picture I have seen in its youth by far. :3 Congratulations.
                  Rinaminori
                  Red Mage 75/ Black Mage 75
                  Rank 10 San d'Oria| PM Complete | ZM Complete
                  Magnetic Earring: [O]
                  Remora Server ~

Comment

Meet "Bleu Blaue the Blue Chocken".

*Under Construction*

Comment

Those tips are rather unmistakably blue (I'm looking specifically at the crown feathers which are the easiest to discern in the picture), but the white/grey tips are not so easily discernable as such. People are always hoping for color, so if there is also a tendency to get ones hopes up in addition to the obvious hardware related problems.

Comment

Agreed, I had thought my white tips were going to give me a color. It was wishful thinking, as you can see with the name of my second chocken. Bleu Blaue, I guess it worked.
                        *Under Construction*

Comment

Was there anything special you did to make it blue, or was it luck?

Comment

Pure luck, I even abused this one. (No food/care)
                            *Under Construction*

Comment

is it the yellow one?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X