Looking for a craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a craft

As the title states, looking to do a craft. It’s been something I’ve somewhat avoided for most of my ffxi career.
    I did some do some crafting here and there but it sometimes gets boring.

I’m going to give it the ol’ college try again.

What should I do? I was looking at other topics but things look so outdated.

Not sure if I wanna go for a ‘more bang for buck’ craft…which I hear Goldsmithing can be
    Not sure if I want to go for ‘whats most useful to my jobs’. Which would probably be cooking for jugs/petfood/food
    Not sure if I want to try something completely different like fishing. Whicn can be nice since it doesn’t count towards other crafts (should I ever pick up a 2nd).

So…what’s fishing like? Think it’s worth it? Should i try something else?
    99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
    -Farsha (90) Completed!!
    -Verth (90) Completed!!
    -Guttler (95) Completed!
    -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
    -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
    -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Re: Looking for a craft

My vote would be for fishing. Thanks to the adjustments they made to it a while back, you're limited to finishing only 200 times/day. A lot of people don't seem to like that... but for me... it's a forces reason to stop. I tend to keep things going until I either rage-quit or pass out. Limiting me to 200/day is still a significant time investment/day... but one i's be willing to deal with... only because I know that at some point it wont let me go on. It's the same mechanic that convinced me to finally do my Adventuring Fellow quests.

As for cooking. That actually makes perfect sense for you. I'm told that a lot of BSTs save themselves a lot of money by investing in cooking skill to make their own jugs. I guess it depends on how much they really cost compared to how much liquid finance you have at your disposal.

For what it's worth, my vote is Fishing.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Cooking seems very logical. And the only reason i’m not choosing it right off the bat is because 2 LS mates of mine have 100+ cooking as well as very high synergy.

These are 2 extreme veterans and long-time game friends. So they would go out of their way to craft things for me if needed. One of them in particular is a guy I hang out with whenever we are both online. It’s very rare you’ll see us both online in different areas (as in not afk). He’s Rookieguy on Cerb if you happen to pass him. Seriously the coolest/most fun/extremely helpful guy in this game. Not to mention a skilled bst as well. The guy bends over backwards for me a lot and never bitches. No matter what I do for him, it just never feels like enough.

Anyway…enough about my ingame-bromance for Rook. Point is, he’s my go-to guy for HQ food/Jugs/petfood. Only time it’s tough if is if he’s not around. So I may pass on cooking for the time being.

I too was thinking fish, that way I could eventually still do cooking. I’m not sure if fish fatigue will be a good thing or bad thing for me.

As far as gil goes…I’d say I’m in a pretty good spot for the time being. Sitting on upwards of 8m as well as probably 700-800 coins of various dynamis currency (and growing).

Rook says do goldsmithing, I say fishing…
      I wanted to get more options here on what to try. An important factor is ‘how often will I use this craft’ should I decided to go all the way.

I know the benefits of cooking.
      What does a veteran goldsmith or fisher do these days (or other craft, not limiting it to only GS/Fish)

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
      -Farsha (90) Completed!!
      -Verth (90) Completed!!
      -Guttler (95) Completed!
      -Aegis just started

Comment

Originally posted by Romyro View Post
        What does a veteran goldsmith or fisher do these days (or other craft, not limiting it to only GS/Fish)
        I know that goldsmiths are able to make a pretty hefty profit (assuming you're at the cap) by making some of the new rings/earrings that have come out recently. The rings with +7AGI and +???Wind are selling for around 3.5-4mil on Valefor... and from whats I can see... the materials to create them cost around 800k. That's a hell of a profit... but also a hell of a gamble.

As for fishing: I've been intrigued by the number of AFK fish-bots in Beaudecine Glacier ever since I saw a shit-ton of them there while I was camping Gargantua. They're lined up all along the shoreline and I couldn't understand why. A buddy of mine told me that there's some kind of fish that you can hook there that sells for 10k or so and (allegedly) stacks. I would say that Fishers these day... are profiting. That's what they're doing.

Comment

so lets say i average 1-2 hours of fishing say...4 times a week. am i looking at years to get to 100?

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
          -Farsha (90) Completed!!
          -Verth (90) Completed!!
          -Guttler (95) Completed!
          -Aegis just started

Comment

1-2 hours of fishing should skill you fairly quickly to start (and that sounds like around the time it takes to fish 200 times). I doubt it would take YEARS. Several months (upwards of 5-6 maybe) but not YEARS. It's a time investment unless you cheat with some kind of a bot.

Comment

Well…as I’ve said before. I’m here for the duration.

When I first started Guttler, my goal was to finish by Christmas. Got way too into it and it went pretty fast.
              Maybe fishing will be the same.

And from the sounds of it…I’ll make a buck on the side oppose to converting hard earned gil into currency.

/em starts to research Fishing

Oh an speaking of time/gil sinks…I recently saw an update on Nyzul stuff. Something about Alex dropping there now…….i like bst shinys, this could be bad.

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
              -Farsha (90) Completed!!
              -Verth (90) Completed!!
              -Guttler (95) Completed!
              -Aegis just started

Comment

So...who can i blame for not giving me a fair waringing about fishing. i fished for upwards of 5 hours overall this weekend and i got maybe 4 Skill levels.

My fishing is 4.8

this is going to take years isnt it...

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                -Verth (90) Completed!!
                -Guttler (95) Completed!
                -Aegis just started

Comment

I went with cooking/fishing combo. Cooking as been going great for me but fishing as been painfully slow. Took me about an hour to get my first 0.1 skill up. xD

Still, I'm going try my best to get fishing to 100, even if I die of boredom.

Comment

Honestly, at this point in the game's life crafting is a total waste of time unless you actually like the fishing mini-game, there really isn't much point in crafting. Speaking as someone who has 95 cooking on his mule, I never even bothered to make my own food anymore for ages. There are just too many players now with level 100 crafts that it's nearly impossible to make any real profit anymore unless you're among them. And even if you can, the real money's been in Abyssea and instanced fghts (BCNMs etc) for years now. You won't ever make back your investment, at least in a reasonable time frame.

Crafting's not even that fun... at least in XIV it's a hell of a lot more engaging than just put X items into the menu and watch your character sit there with a crystal spinning in their hands. It was cute/charming back in 2003, not so much now. If you're absolutely deadset on crafting though, Alchemy or Cooking are the most practical for meds & food otherwise idk.
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I went with cooking/fishing combo. Cooking as been going great for me but fishing as been painfully slow. Took me about an hour to get my first 0.1 skill up. xD
                      Still, I'm going try my best to get fishing to 100, even if I die of boredom.
                      Ok good (sorta), so I’m not going crazy. I’ve gone through roughly 300 casts. It’s actually kinda fun. Looking forward to getting to bigger and better fish…in a few months (yeesh).

I’m just going to steal my kid’s Nintendo DS or watch Arrested Development while I wait for bites.

Malacite’s post
                      I think you’re a little off on the profit parts. From what I hear Alchemy is a huge money maker if you put forth the time/effort/investment.

Cant speak for some of the others like cloth/leather craft but cooking is still up there. It’s just different items these days. Rook and I (mentioned above) could probably make some crazy gil just off Bst jugs & petfood alone if we put our minds to it. We usually farm once a week for maybe 2 hours. And we get a shit ton of dippys and petfood Eta items (and soon to be theta).

I’m talking ~6 dippy stacks and like 10 eta stacks.

Cerb costs
                      Wool Grease on AH 90,000 (which is stupid) x 6 stack =540,000
                      Petfood Eta on AH 80,000 (which is also stupid) x 10 stacks 800,000
                      1,340,000 is pretty nice for 2-3 hours worth of work.

All due to his cooking (and synergy) skill.
                      That’s a lot imo.

and the shit sell more so than ever now becasue of Bst-namis farming.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Sorry, i mean Goldsmithing. Not ALchemy

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                      -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                      -Verth (90) Completed!!
                      -Guttler (95) Completed!
                      -Aegis just started

Comment

Working...
                      X