Reccommend me a craft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reccommend me a craft?

I just recently hit lvl 70 with my blue/ninja.

I'm still clueless as to what craft to pick up to take to 100.

I usually fish when Im bored out of my mind and I got boneworking to 14...but I still am not sure of what to choose!

I cant make up my mind between goldsmithing, woodworking, cooking, boneworking and cooking.

Which would earn me the most gil in the long run?

Re: Reccommend me a craft?

They all have potential to make a ton of gil. Cooking and Fishing compliment each other pretty well. You just really have to choose whichever one you like. Some take bigger investments than others, but you can usually still work around them to at least break even. I'd just try them all or something and see what interests you most.
    To be the best in this game...you must help each other become the best.

Comment

Cooking or Alchemy would both be good choices. Mages of all different races, colors, and creeds need juices and echo drops. Only problem is they aren't really profitible until you get them to HQ3 level (HQ3 on honey for echo drops and HQ3 for the actual echo drops), but majority of the crafts are that way.
      {New Sig in the works}
      -----------------------
      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
      Originally posted by Solymir
      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Usually the ones that could get you the most money in the end are the same ones that cost the most to get to 100. If that's what you're looking for, I'd try Gold/Smithing/Cloth. If you want to go cheap and quick, maybe cooking or alchemy? Something affordable to get to 100 that can make you lots of money, maybe Leather/Wood/Bone.
        Current Server: Asura
        Current Home Nation: Bastok (Rank 10)
        Race/Sex: Elvaan/Male
        Main Job: 75 DRK / 37 SAM,RDM,NIN,WAR,WHM
        Main Craft: 73 Cloth

(Read this at a normal pace...)
        Tihs Msseage Connat Be Raed By Nromal Huamn Biegns. Pelsae Ntoify Yuor Firedns Taht If Tehy Can Raed Tihs, Taht Tehy Aenr't Namrol...Cnovrresly, Atmpetnig To Raed Tihs Msasege At Nmaorl Pcae And Bineg Albe To, Cna't be Namrol Etiehr...If Yor'ue Albe To Raed Tihs, Tehn Mybae Yur'oe Not Nrmaol.

Comment

Originally posted by AzureDemon View Post
          Reccommend me a craft?

I'm very sorry, but there's no way I could resist.

Comment

With the effectively limited time left for FFXI (it won't be shut off when XIV comes online, but it should go into decline), I wouldn't go leveling any craft to 100 as a new player. There's a lot of stuff that can still make you money at 60, if you focus on semi-raw materials (crafting raw materials from harvesting, etc. for less inventory space lets you farm longer), and on meds that don't HQ. (I just noticed poison potions being good profit lately.)

If you take Alchemy to 60, you can make lots of meds some of which have no HQ, and you can HQ very well on Beeswax.

If you take Clothcraft to 60 (even 50 will do, I think), you can make silk cloths (currently a profit), and you can make crawler cocoons into threads (very profitable if the guild has them cheap and you've got 2 stacks of lightning and half an hour).

If you take Cooking to 60, you can make Yagudo Drink. No HQ, so very profitable, especially if you buy materials from whoever the Kolshushu regional merchant is that week.

And then there are the multi-craft gear synths where you need one craft around 60 and two others in the 40s. Sure, the HQs are more profitable, but the important thing is that the NQs are also profitable.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Originally posted by Feba View Post
            I'm very sorry, but there's no way I could resist.
            Needs more eels.
            Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
            99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
            F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
            >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

I'm not sure I would bother with the silk cloths, the silk threads might be profitable enough.

Oh, and if you care for farming, Leathercraft is good for synthing to stacks. I mean, a single kill of a ram could fill up all AH slots, or you could synth 6 skins into leather and it's half a slot...

Regarding the picture: "My hovercraft is full of eels."

Comment

Originally posted by Nuriko View Post
                I'm not sure I would bother with the silk cloths, the silk threads might be profitable enough.
                When you're crafting/farming the threads, making them into cloths reduces the item count, so there's less stuff to sell on AH. I'd rather have one 50k item on the AH than three 12k items.

Oh, and if you care for farming, Leathercraft is good for synthing to stacks. I mean, a single kill of a ram could fill up all AH slots, or you could synth 6 skins into leather and it's half a slot...
                Leathercraft and woodworking are both good for reducing singles into stacks, but you're going to get a lot more singles of hides than logs unless you go out logging, so I'll have to agree with you there. With those crafts you don't really need to go all the way to 60 to do well, but I would like to be able to synth Tiger Hides into leather, and that's a 61 cap.

The 10k point key items can be good to have too. The important ones are Spinning, Lumberjack, and Tanning. But Trituration is kind of lame since there are so few synths that benefit from it.
                Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                  Trituration
                  I use Trituration for Echo Drops and for a few of the potions that are used to make status bolts.

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                  Lumberjack
                  I use this alllllllllllll the time on ash lumber. The other day I went crazy and somehow ended up with 33 stacks of lumber O_o. (For those counting I believe I had 6 stacks of crystals and bundling twine, that is about 216 Logs not counting breaks, hq'd to 396 pieces of lumber ^_^)
                  Last edited by Durahansolo; 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM.
                  {New Sig in the works}
                  -----------------------
                  "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                  "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                  Originally posted by Solymir
                  What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

I see thanks for all the tips guys!

BTW, I dont think we should worry about FFIX...I doubt everyone and their mother would leave their hard earned stuff and up and leave. Probably during the first months of FFXIV the servers will be kind of empty...but anyways...that game wont be out anytime soon I think.

Comment

I don't think it's a matter of FFXIV, but considering the amount of time it will take you to recoup the money you spent leveling the craft, you may never make that back if people stop playing. That's just something to consider.
                      sigpic
                      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Smithing is by far the most profitable craft if you can make it to 78+.

Desynthesis = retarded amounts of money. The trouble is getting high enough to really use the best stuff.

Take Antican Pouldrons for example. Fairly common drop off of the low level Antica in Eastern and Western Altepa, and they AH for about 2k. An NQ will only get you 2 bronze ingots, but all 3 HQ's will yield one Darksteel Ingot. That's a huge profit even if you buy it off the AH, though you're best bet IMO is to farm them on Ice Day and then as soon as it turns to lightning day start ripping them apart with your lightning crystals.

The downside is Desynthesis is very random, even with the moghancement with maximum power ( your moogle will say you have "Overwhelming Lightning Energy" in your mog house) and you can expect to see a lot of failures & material losses even under optimal conditions. Still, if you can stomache the extreme cost of leveling this craft and get to the upper echelons it will pay off.

Clothcrafting is similarly profitable with Spider Webs being used to get Rainbow Threads, and Crawler Cocoons (which you can sometimes get at the guild for as little as 107 gil each IIRC) for silk threads.

I've given up on it though, as I'd rather just ISNM for a 430k Khroma Ore or even Campaign Battle for a shot at a 100 piece. A buddy of mine has already made nearly 2 million gil since last monday's update.
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Is Smithing better than Goldsmithing? I've always heard that's rough to level but can really pay off...

Comment

Goldsmithing is just for show >.> (and bullets)
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                              Goldsmithing is just for show >.> (and bullets)
                              Goldsmithing is also painful.

Comment

Working...
                              X