Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Carpentry questions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some Carpentry questions.

    I've started Carpentry and was wondering about a few things.

    Whats that thing thats cast on you in the guild, whats it do?

    I went logging with a couple of Hatchets which cost 700 each but they broke after 3-4 hits each, is that the norm?

    I want to make my own Hatchets as i imagine it's cheaper, what level do i have to be to do this in the Blacksmith guild?

    I noticed Arrowood logs are only 14gil yet a dozen Arrowood lumber sells for 2500gil at the AH this seams a good way to make some money, am i right?

    Should i just synth arrow logs + Wind till lvl 5 or is there a better option? Like 4 Lauren logs into a workbench? I noticed they sell for 300gil.

    Is it worth synthing Maple logs when they cost much more than arrow and don't do anything different?

    Bearing in mind im only doing this to make a profit either now or long term are there any other things i should know?

    Any help much appreciated.

  • #2
    Whats that thing thats cast on you in the guild, whats it do?

    It's called Imagery. As it states when you get it, "Your woodworking skills went up a little.", your woodworking skill went up a little. Note that out of the handful of people in the guild who offer it, there's always one who offers Advanced Imagery. This gives you a better boost to your crafting and lasts a few minutes rather than the 30 seconds or so on Imagery. You have to pay for this, 30g * Guild Level. If you're an Initiate ('rank 3' in that guild, if you will) it costs 90g. I don't have any guilds above Initiate so I don't know if it scales beyond 30g/level after that.

    I went logging with a couple of Hatchets which cost 700 each but they broke after 3-4 hits each, is that the norm?

    Yes, they will break and loggers will always bring a quantity of Hatchets with them. The Field equipment that affect Logging supposedly decrease your Hatchets' breaking rate.

    I noticed Arrowood logs are only 14gil yet a dozen Arrowood lumber sells for 2500gil at the AH this seams a good way to make some money, am i right?

    At the guild, Arrowwood Lumber goes for about 7g/each. People abuse the limited stock by clearing it out the moment the guild opens each day, and reselling them on AH at 30 times the cost. Carpenters have no choice in many cases but to give in to this extortion and pay 2.5k/stack since they can't buy them at the now-empty guild. If you want to craft Logs into Lumber, you'll be investing roughly 150g into each piece of lumber. (Wind crystals usually go around 100-150 each, even when buying by the stack/cluster.) Making a stack will run you up to 1800g and sell for 2500g. 700g profit, assuming no failures, but to many people that's a painful way to make 700g. It's certainly doable though and has the added incentive of building up your woodworking the first few levels.

    Should i just synth arrow logs + Wind till lvl 5 or is there a better option? Like 4 Lauren logs into a workbench? I noticed they sell for 300gil.

    It's 4 Lauan Lumber to make them, and Workbenches on Midgard run 300-500g. 4x Lumber = 240g from the guild. Problem is, once again, people buying out the stock the moment it opens. Lauan isn't always stripped clean, but often enough to make a recipe involving 4 of them a long process. I'm STILL in this problem right now. I can usually pull out a full stack from the guild before it's cleaned out, but that gives me materials for 3 workbenches... I've decided to switch to Lauan Shields (Bronze Sheet + 2x Lauan Lumber) for about the same profit and I can make twice as many items for skill with the same amount of my limited lumber.

    Bearing in mind im only doing this to make a profit either now or long term are there any other things i should know?

    Only advice I have to offer is to remember that Carpentry uses a ton of Wind and Earth. Earth crystals cost next to nothing, but Winds go up to 1500/stack. Never forget to add that cost into your craft. Wind + Ash Lumber (170g) makes an Ash Club. Selling it for 170g does NOT mean you broke even. You lost the 150g for the Wind crystal.
    And don't buy into the philosophy that farming your own materials cuts costs. You collect a stack of Wind Crystals and it's value is still 1500g. Using it in crafting does not mean you lost nothing as the winds were 'free'. You could have sold them for 1500g.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for that, appriciate it.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am a level 10 carpenter/woodworker. I have full field suit and I buy wind crystals for 1600 a stack at AH. I either buy my hatchets at Mharu for abour 487 or i buy a stack for 6k at AH (you could build your own with +2bronze ignots + maple lumber+fire crystal but at most you save about 1k and for all the work i don't feel it is worth the 1k).

        All my woodworking takes place in san doria / gheselba and i craft ash lumber/holly lumber/maple lumber. The Holly is nice and the ash lumber sells for about 2800 a stack and maple can make 2300.

        So i spend a whole day crafting this stuff and during a day i can also find about 4-8 elm logs. I tried jugner and went insane.... i Warped 3 and went back to doria. I am upset that jugner and burb is so bad.

        My issue is are there any things i can craft that will make a profit? i mean what do decent arrows sell for? i have researched the AH a lot and i just don't see anything else i can craft that will net a profit.

        As always i don't really expect much feedback on a topic like this because a good cook will never tell you his recipes but any advice for a lvl40 guy trying to get his armor would be nice lol. if there is anyone on valefor lol i would pay gill for someone to tell me of a decent logging spot (just leave me ur name lol i am very serious).

        All and all wood working is fun. You do need cash to get going but once you do i think its hard to loose money but at same time will take insane amount of time to make gill ... but this game is one big time sink lol.

        Comment

        Working...
        X