This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRS Motion

Alright, this is some info on the Motions and go into various ways to create a motion. Please don't post till after I finish, I will indicate when I'm done. This example will be using a Mithra model.

Now then before getting to the motion there is some knowledge you should know before hand:
    • Skeleton structure of the model you are working on. Examples would be:
      • Mithra's Weapon & Shield skeletons:
      • Skeleton-65 = Shield (Motion and Skeleton Weight)
      • Skeleton-81 = Great Sword (Motion 1)
      • Skeleton-82 = Great Sword (Motion 2 & Skeleton Weight)
      • Skeleton-83 = Club(1)/Sword (Motion 1)
      • Skeleton-84 = Club(1)/Sword (Motion 2 & Skeleton Weight)
      • Skeleton-85 = Club(1)/Sword (Motion 1) [Sub Weapon]
      • Skeleton-85 = Club(1)/Sword (Motion 2 & Skeleton Weight) [Sub Weapon]
      • Skeleton-86 = Staff/Polearm/Scythe (Motion 1)
      • Skeleton-87 = Staff/Polearm/Scythe (Motion 2 & Skeleton Weight)
      • Skeleton-94 = Katana (Motion & Skeleton Weeight)
      • Skeleton-95 = Katana (Motion & Skeleton Weeight) [Sub Weapon]
      • Skeleton-96 = Dagger (Motion 1)
      • Skeleton-97 = Dagger (Motion 2 & Skeleton Motion)
      • Skeleton-98 = Dagger (Motion 1) [Sub Weapon]
      • Skeleton-99 = Dagger (Motion 2 & Skeleton Motion) [Sub Weapon]
      • Skeleton-100 = Great Katana (Motion 1)
      • Skeleton-101 = Great Katana (Motion 2 & Skeleton Motion)
      • Skeleton-102 = Great Axe (Motion 1)
      • Skeleton-103 = Great Axe (Motion 2 & Skeleton Motion)
      • Skeleton-104 = H2H (Motion 1)
      • Skeleton-105 = H2H (Motion 2 & Skeleton Motion)
      • Skeleton-106 = Club(2)/Axe (Motion & Skeleton Motion)
      • Skeleton-107 = Club(2)/Axe (Motion & Skeleton Motion) [Sub Weapon]
    • Original Motion File (Example uses: 1-56-41[1] = Kneel (Upper Body), 1-56-41[2] = Kneel (Lower Body))
    • Plan for Motin to create.
    • Motion File to Alter (Example uses Gulkeeva's Imported Kneel Motion, same index info from there)

Introduction to Important Objects:

Now this is an example of the important info you'll need in order to make a motion.

{Image 1}

{Image 2}

{Image 3}

{Image 4}

As you see in {Image 1} the Actor is who will perform the Motion. When you have multiple Actors only the one with the currently selected Motion Object will perform any actions {Image 3}. If you want a Mesh to be effected by a Motion you have to include that mesh with that Actor {Image 4}. If you've read the Tutorials on how to copy an Object to include them into a .DAT do the similar thing, it will add extra meshes under the same actor so that actor's motions will effect it.

You will want to pay attention to how the skeletons are structures in their Heiarchial structure {Image 2} if you intent to keep the natural motions of the object. With this Heiarchial structure the body and Shield is all set for you, most you'll need to do with it is rotate the skeletons.

Example would be to locate the skeletons above in the Heiarchial structure, if you trace the skeletons you'll find that the Shield's structure going in reverse from the shield is Sheild -> Right Hand -> Forearm -> Upper Arm -> Shoulder -> Upper Body -> Lower Body.

For all Weapons traced back you'll notice they follow one of two:
    • Weapon Hand Position -> Weapon Motion -> Lower Body (Hips)
    • Weapon Hand Position & Motion -> Lower Body (Hips) [Katana Follows this structure]

Introduction to Motion Window & Controls:
    This will tell you about the Motion Window, it is the most important part to making a motion you either create the motion there or save the position you've created there. Till I build this more right now it's simply going to show how to copy a motion from one motion file to a new motion file, this should fix a few weapon position issues by taking another weapon's motion or using a hand motion to help get the weapon's motion close to were it should be.

{Image 5}

{Image 6}

{Image 7}

{Image 8}

{Image 9}

{Image 10}

To Open the Motion Window click the icon indicated in {Image 5}. Now in {Image 6} this is the Initial state of the Motion Window, if you do not have a Motion Object selected or more then one selected then it will be in this state. When you have a Motion Selected the Motion Window displays info about the Motion {Image 7}. As you see it say what the motions Start, Frame Count, Frame Speed, and Current position is.

Now to explain the Motion Controls that show up when you have the Motion Window Selected seen in {Image 8}. The controls you see in the Red Circle are motion controls that tie with the Model Window, once you've moved the skeletons to a position you want you can use these to capture what is correct about the motion. For the red the capture icons are:
    • Upper Left = Capture all (Position Move, Rotation, Scaling)
    • Upper Right = Scale capture (Scaling will resize the mesh tied that skeleton)
    • Lower Left = Rotation capture
    • Lower Right = Move capture

The ones circled in the green are for controls to use in the Motion Window itself. The items in it are:
    • Remove compensation (Upper Left) [When using with the spinal adjustment it will remove the spinal adjustments compensation]
    • Line compensation (Upper Right) [Links one frame to another frame all frames between without a set frame object are given a calculated position from the A frame object and B frame object]
    • Spinal Adjustment (Middle Left) [This is an important one to speed up creation of a motion]
    • Delete capture (Middle Right) [Click it then click what you want to remove]
    • Move Motion (Lower Left) [This is used to move a motion directly from the Motion Window]

These are all the tools you'll need to make a motion. The reason I indicated the two types Red and Green is because they both have a bonus and down side to it. Using the ones in the Reds allow you to use the model directly to create a position then click on them to capture what is correct, this allows you to see your efforts for each set position you have to move the Current position over (In Motion Window) to capture the next one. The downside is using only those will not create smooth fluent motions you will spend many hours getting it right if you use them alone.

The ones in the Green allow for more percision, they are also able to create the fluidity so the motion has a smooth and more true motion. As seen in {Image 9} this shows what is directly effected by the commands in {Image 8}. This means that using that command is able to effect the objects you see in those areas. The other 4 you notice are not active, that is because all motions, scale, and position movement are already captured.

For the last thing I'll point out that the Motion Window has two parts. The left half (Circled in green) is the Motion Object, this is the skeleton itself. The one on the right is the Motion Frames, this is the instruction set telling the skeleton how to act. {Image 10}
    Last edited by Macht; 07-29-2006, 10:47 PM.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Project

Objective:
    Correct Gulkeeva's new Kneel stance so shield is located correctly. This one is actually and easy one because to fix shield only requires a small change.

Process:
    1. Open Gulkeeva's new Kneel position in the motion file. And Identify the incorrect motions.
    2. Open Original Kneel motion 1-56-41 [1] Upper Body and 1-56-41 [2] Lower Body.
    3. You should now have two motion files.
    4. Select the Original Motion Object and select Skeleton-65.
    5. Pay attention to the difference in the motion objects data. As you notice the Incorrect one has a motion in the wrong place. You have two ways to fix this.
      • Correct Motion:
      • Incorrect Motion:
    Last edited by Macht; 07-29-2006, 10:49 PM.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Re: Project

Now since if you've payed attention to the Skeleton's Heiarchy you'd notice the Shield Skeleton is attached to the hand. So the major part of the shield's motion is tied to the hand, all you have to do is correct the shield's position so it's above the hand and it will follow any motion the hand does.

As an extra side example, If you want the shield to do anything else special say spin along an X, Y, or Z axis (Remember in motion each skeleton creates it's focal point for motion). So which ever way the shield spins it will still be following the hand. So even if the hand rotates to go along the X to the shield the X axis would be the new Z axis for it and it'll continue to spin that way.

That's the beauty of the that structure each skeleton and their motions can be tied together so that you have multiple skeletons working in some way to effect another skeleton. Now for the methods you can do would be:

First Method (Slower) [No Pictures for this one for now]
      • Delete the move positions.
      • Through Motion Window or Model Window select Skeleton-65 and adjust the rotations so it's right over the hand. If you use Model Window don't forget to do Capture move so it's catches it.

Because all you have to do with shield is only capture 1 position for it this method is slow only because if you spend the time for percision on location can take some time.

Second Method (Fastest)
      • Select the motion frames from the original motion.
      • Select Copy at the top or use Ctrl+C
      • Go to the motion to fix and delete all the motion frames for skeleton-65.
      • Then make sure to go to the Motion Object and then select the motion object for Skeleton-65.
      • Now go back to Motion Frame and Paste the frames. Click the paste icon next to the copy motion or hit Ctrl+V.
      • With some motions when copying frames over they may not match up, so you may have to add to it. Then also pay attention to ones that have extra motions, you'll want to make sure then that the last used Motion frame ends up at a position just before were the first frame starts. Since the shield correction is just a position of the skeleton there isn't much to worry about.
      • Now save out the motion and the shield object should be correct now.

That's it, for this tutorial. It's basically a start to get you use to looking at the Motion Window. Learning to use the Spinal Adjustment is a bit more advanced but it's one of the things that when you see or do it once it'll become easy to do. This is to get you started and hopefully helps to correct stuff like were your weapons are located for motions you import from other models. Next Tutorial will show how the Spinal Adjustment works.

Addition:

Just for silly fun I took the suggestion I said and make the shield durring the Kneel motion rotate 700 degrees (Stating pose is -20, So during the full motion it will make 2 full rotations) on it's Z-axis. Look at skeleton-65 and you'll see the difference from normal, it's the only motion that was changed. Yet pay attention to how the shield still follow the hand it just spins on it's Z-axis.

Spinning Shield Motion (1-56-41.dat)
      Last edited by Macht; 07-29-2006, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Re: VRS Motion

Very Nice tutorial, should be sticked up top or something since it answers and shows many of the possible questions people face

http://www.neko-sentai.com -fear!

Comment

Lol, sticky... Knew I forgot to do something.

Comment

http://upload.ffxionline.com/Macht/V...onToDelete.jpg

pic missing

Comment

Hmm, can't find that one >.>

Ahh, found it. Not that important of a pic, just started to get carried away with the pics I was taking. Just indicating that I removed all the Motion Frames.

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
                Hmm, can't find that one >.>

Ahh, found it. Not that important of a pic, just started to get carried away with the pics I was taking. Just indicating that I removed all the Motion Frames.
                oh was wondering, is there a way to fix the "spinning shiled motion"? Or is it an unavoidable side effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Gulkeeva
                  oh was wondering, is there a way to fix the "spinning shiled motion"? Or is it an unavoidable side effect?
                  Not certain what problem you are talking about. The spining shield, if you are talking about the one I made for fun, was an intented effect. Little more detail of what you mean would help.

Comment

Oh, I thought it was some problem you ran into with sheilds where it wouldn't move to the correct location during motion changes without doing some crazy spinning motions.

almsot 6am i should get some sleep

Comment

Wonderful tutorial, but I must say it looked a bit confusing. But I guess it comes to you if you just try it out and check for yourself what happens when you do different things.

I'm pretty bad at VRS all around, think I need to find more buttons (like good zoom buttons so I can actually see what is what in trees etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Mellowy
                        Wonderful tutorial, but I must say it looked a bit confusing. But I guess it comes to you if you just try it out and check for yourself what happens when you do different things.

I'm pretty bad at VRS all around, think I need to find more buttons (like good zoom buttons so I can actually see what is what in trees etc)
                        Yes, as far as that Tutorial goes it's better for people have figured the other stuff first such as:
                        • Importing Meshes
                        • Exporting Meshes
                        • Altering the Mesh
                        • Setting Skeleton Weights
                        • Adding Vertex's
                        • Moving Meshes to the same Actor
                        • Re-Texturing
                        • Importing Motion
                        • Exporting Motion

Well all the Zoom Functions I know are:

1. Screen Distance (used mainly for Perspective to just how the model looks when the camera object is at certain distances)
                        2. Zoom (Normal Zoom)
                        3. Area Zoom (Drag Zoom)

Screen Distance when you use it on the model you'll notice no difference if you set the view to XY, XZ, or ZY but if in Perspective view the closer you zoom in the more it'll create a sort of fish eye like view.

Zoom Camera (Hold Z for a temp function or press Shift+Ctrl+Z to set the mouse to select it for continued use) This zooms in the model without chaning the Perspective view.

Area Zoom (Hold T for temp function or press Shift+Ctrl+T to set the mouse to select it for continued use) When using this you click and drage to create a box over the area you want to zoom into. Clicking without dragging will zoom to the maximum at that point, the max zoom has no use and got to be careful with it can get annoying if you are proned to make that mistake a lot.

Double Post Edited:
                        Originally posted by Gulkeeva
                        Oh, I thought it was some problem you ran into with sheilds where it wouldn't move to the correct location during motion changes without doing some crazy spinning motions.

almsot 6am i should get some sleep
                        Lol, no wasn't a problem was to demonstrate that each skeleton works together by how they show up in the heiarchy. So basically since the shield in the skeleton structure traces back to the hand any motion the hand does effects the shields motion, Otherwise the shield skeleton itself it doing nothing but positioning were the sheild is on the model.

As you see at the bottom of what I put there I played with the shield skeleton and made it rotate on one of it's axis'. You can see it by using that .dat I placed on there, you'll see how the skeleton is normally and then with the one I played with you see how I only made 1 change and what effect it actually had.
                        Last edited by Macht; 07-30-2006, 10:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hrm, question for you. Say the motion is located in different intervals. compared to the weights? Should I locate a motion that had just as many frames that has the weights to transfer? Simplified, if I'm going to transfer weights for weapons/sheilds should I use 2 motions that have the same amount of frames instead of one motion that has 44 compared to the other have 132? Direct copy paste tactics just transfers the material to the same numbered frames on the other motion.

Just wonder if there is more extensive editing I need to perform or if using 2 motions that have the weights in the same section of frames will work similarily?

Edit: THink I just answered my own question...sorta, only way to find out is test it
                          Last edited by Rashia; 12-06-2006, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashia View Post
                            Hrm, question for you. Say the motion is located in different intervals. compared to the weights? Should I locate a motion that had just as many frames that has the weights to transfer? Simplified, if I'm going to transfer weights for weapons/sheilds should I use 2 motions that have the same amount of frames instead of one motion that has 44 compared to the other have 132? Direct copy paste tactics just transfers the material to the same numbered frames on the other motion.
                            Just wonder if there is more extensive editing I need to perform or if using 2 motions that have the weights in the same section of frames will work similarily?
                            Edit: THink I just answered my own question...sorta, only way to find out is test it
                            If you mean to copy a motion set and double it to cover the frames, then it depends on the motion. The one I provided is a simple version and actually has a small glitch in it but it's one not often noticed by people. If you pay close enough attention you'll notice the weapons I've corrected this way have a point were the weapon 'skips' a little.

If you were to notice that skip and it bugged you enough then you can go in the motion and correct the fluidity of that motion. For motions were the difference in fames is greater then 4-5 there is definatly a lot of work you might need to do with them. The weapon is likely to not move right, in those cases the motion you might want to start with is taking the hip's motion and then reposition the weapon skeleton off to where you want it.

This is a start for tailor a new motion the weapon will now be moving with the hip, to detail the motion you'd then pick were in the motion the weapon should reach an end of a sway and build out from there. That detailing makes it so the weapon doesn't look like it's attached to the hip, gives it that free moving feel.

Comment

No, wasn't anything like that. Much like people swap motions there are a few that only use portions of the motion. Instead of all 132 frames you are just using for exampe 76-110. If you haven't saved the motion to where it makes the frames 1-34 then trying to simply copy paste it over to the edited frames used only places the pasted weight in the corresponding 1-XX frames but leaves the remaining frames without.

Was late at night when I was working and I had a brain fart on that was trying to past weapon weights for 1-33 frames on to an animation that had 132 frames with only frames 76-110 being active. After I realized that I was able to get back to work >.>;

Edit: Also, something to add to this is possibly that if you are going to Edit motions that are say 138 frames long to fit in where a motion that is 90 frames long you need to do the following (Make sure to back up all files you change incase you mess up!):
                              (Sorry no pictures to go with this and this is just quick editing, nothing drastic.)
                              YOU ONLY DO THIS IF YOU EDIT THE START AND END TIMES OF A MOTION YOU WANT TO TRANSFER TO PLAYER USABLE.

A.) Make sure you know where you are going to be saving the motion to. In this case lets say we want to change Mithra /cheer. We have a 138 frame motion in VRS from ROM/72/125{U24}{L26} And we want to save it to a motion that is 90 Frames in VRS for ROM/56/42{U12}{L14} (Also try to know the standard frames the motion uses ingame. Normally need Model Viewer to find this out, in this case it is 45. This lets you know what the thinning rate is which for mithra /cheer turns out to be 2 IE: 90 Frames Divided by 2 equals 45. This will help to make sure a motion is not running too fast or too slow, BE SURE TO KNOW THE INTERVAL)

B.) Edit the Start and Ending Frames For the 138 Frame Motion. Example would be Starting frame 18 and ending frame 108. We now have 90 Frames.

C.) Now that we have 90 Frames we are going to save the upper and lower animations to ROM/56/42{U12}{L14} with a thinning interval of 2.

D.) Now you can discard the 138 motion you edited the start and end times for. You will no longer be using this motion. (Only reason you would use it any longer is if you decided to alter the start and end times then resave)

E.) Reload Motion ROM/56/42{U12}{L14} and you should have the new motion only instead of it showing the start 18 and end 108, you now have 0 and 90. Now, you can add your weapon and shield weights without worrying that there will be any offsets. In most cases you can get away with transfering the weights from the old motion to the new one which is explained by Macht above.

That is what I forgot to do originally so when I transfered over weapon weights it was pasting them in frames 1 to 90 when I needed the weight to be placed in 18 to 108. So like I said, had a brain fart.
                              Last edited by Rashia; 12-08-2006, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X