PS2 to USB adapter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS2 to USB adapter problem

I originally started playing FFXI on the PS2. I enjoyed it on the PS2, but the hugeness of the menus and such were getting to me and having to wait until no one was using the TV so I could play was annoying.

I just recently built a new PC and I decided to buy FFXI for it. I tried using the keyboard, but I'm having a hard time getting used to it after using the PS2 controller for so long. I went out of town today and saw a RadioShack and stopped by to pick up an adapter to hook my PS2 controller to my computer.

I installed the drivers and went into FFXI config and chose the "Alternate Setup A" for console-type gamepads. Problem is, it won't work correctly. The d-pad moves my character and the analog sticks don't work. The X, O, triangle and square buttons don't work like they did on the PS2. I've tried the "Default Setup" too, but it doesn't work right either.

My question is, how do I calibrate it correctly so it will work? I've read threads here where people say they got one and they just hooked it up and it worked perfectly.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

Re: PS2 to USB adapter problem

There should be a controller settings menu outside the game in the POL settings. It's in the Start menu.

Comment

But that menu doesn't calibrate the analog sticks for FFXI.

I'm trying to calibrate the controller in the FFXI config outside of FFXI.

Comment

it has an option to calibrate. hold up let me open up my POL

ok, first make sure you push the ANALOG button and you have red light on your controller.

open FFXI confog from your main windows menu, open Gamepad Settings (P). Make sure you tick to eneble it.

The "Direction Control Devices" on the right are the calibrations. When you click on it, it will ask you to hold up, down, left, right, etc. Here you're free to calibrate any analog/+key to any buttons.

By the way, the closest to PS2 I think is the Default Setup (D) option on your right. To your left, you click on each drop down choices, hit the button on your controller to specify what you want your buttons to do.

Before you click ok, make sure you Test Gamepad (T) to see how they're working.
        Last edited by Jei; 12-27-2006, 05:57 PM.
        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

It's working fine in the Playonline viewer, but the analog sticks don't move my character in-game, the d-pad does. The d-pad is supposed to select menus and targets.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakira View Post
            It's working fine in the Playonline viewer, but the analog sticks don't move my character in-game, the d-pad does. The d-pad is supposed to select menus and targets.
            I had this same problem too. I was trying to configure the movement directions, but the analog sticks weren't responding. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong until I looked at the ps2 controller manual (you can probably tell I don't own a ps2) and it said to turn the analog light on.

After that, the analog sticks worked fine. Such a stupid mistake and the answer was right under my nose. ;;

BTW, if the light is turned off, the d-pad will move your character. Make sure the light is on, and the analog sticks should work.
            ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
              it has an option to calibrate. hold up let me open up my POL

ok, first make sure you push the ANALOG button and you have red light on your controller.

open FFXI confog from your main windows menu, open Gamepad Settings (P). Make sure you tick to eneble it.

The "Direction Control Devices" on the right are the calibrations. When you click on it, it will ask you to hold up, down, left, right, etc. Here you're free to calibrate any analog/+key to any buttons.

By the way, the closest to PS2 I think is the Default Setup (D) option on your right. To your left, you click on each drop down choices, hit the button on your controller to specify what you want your buttons to do.

Before you click ok, make sure you Test Gamepad (T) to see how they're working.
              I can't believe I forgot to press the analog button.

But now, I can't get the analog sticks to calibrate correctly. I do the up, down, right, left thing, but the + symbol doesn't stay in the center of the box. It's annoying.

Comment

I can't believe I forgot to press the analog button.

But now, I can't get the analog sticks to calibrate correctly. I do the up, down, right, left thing, but the + symbol doesn't stay in the center of the box. It's annoying.
                That's normal.. Doesn't stay in the center for me either. Just test it out as best you can then verify if it works in-game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
                  That's normal.. Doesn't stay in the center for me either. Just test it out as best you can then verify if it works in-game.
                  No matter how hard I try, when I get in-game, my character runs around like crazy and the camera keeps moving in circles.

Everything else works just fine in-game except the analog sticks. I press the sticks in the directions the best I can, but I can't get it right.

Comment

No matter how hard I try, when I get in-game, my character runs around like crazy and the camera keeps moving in circles.

Everything else works just fine in-game except the analog sticks. I press the sticks in the directions the best I can, but I can't get it right.
                    Try unplugging/replugging all the equipment.

Comment

Usually when I first turn on my analog light, both analog will moved around on their own a bit. They stop doing that after I move them around for few seconds. I don't know if this is your case or not.

When texting my analog, my cursor stays a bit off center too.
                      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Well, I fixed it.

What I didn't do was calibrate it under Game Controllers in the Control Panel in Windows. After I did that, I went back into the FFXI config and calibrated it and now it works fine.

Thanks for the help. I completely forgot to push the analog button and forgot to calibrate it for Windows itself. lol

Now I can play and not have to take up the TV anymore and I can play longer.

Comment

Working...
                        X