Paypal Debit Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal Debit Card?

Does Final Fantasy XI accept the Paypal Debit card which has a mastercard logo on it? I know it accepts Debit Cards with mastercard logos, but a few of the people I know said that FFXI won't accept their cards.

I want to know this before applying for a PayPal debit card.

Re: Paypal Debit Card?

hey dude
    sorry this isnt actually related to the topic but i see u have set up and registered ur FFXI account
    I was just wondering the price it is per month?

Comment

I havn't even gotten the game yet, lol. But I believe it's around $13.00 a month. If you decide to play, contact me so we can help eachother out.

Comment

Originally posted by MoreOfMyself2Kill View Post
        hey dude
        sorry this isnt actually related to the topic but i see u have set up and registered ur FFXI account
        I was just wondering the price it is per month?
        Ugh. First you cross-post, now you hijack a thread? I've already answered your original question in PMs ($12.95 US, $16.75 AUS).

This is NOT the way to start your experience on this forum.

Icemage
        FFXIOnline Forum Super Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Zero View Post
          Does Final Fantasy XI accept the Paypal Debit card which has a mastercard logo on it? I know it accepts Debit Cards with mastercard logos, but a few of the people I know said that FFXI won't accept their cards.
          I want to know this before applying for a PayPal debit card.
          Generally speaking, there indeed are some Mastercards that can't be accepted "on the fly," or in other words whatever the system merchant is using can't recognize the card correctly, as to how/where to process them. This happens especially if the merchant's system is wired up w/ multiple credit card processing companies/financial institutions.

However, most of the Mastercard-accepting merchants can actually take such cards by manually entering the information. This is because whatever the financial institution they have merchant license w/ should have a license to take any and all Mastercards issued anywhere in the world. For instance, if the mechant has a license from MBNA America to take Mastercards, merchant can force the information that the card is issued by MBNA America even if the card is issued otherwise, and magically everything goes fine. This of course can't be done if the merchant's system doesn't have the option to enter such information.

If the thing doesn't work out, try contacting the POL support, and they may be able to manually take the information in. Nevertheless, it's better to use "more widely accepted VISA/Mastercards" (sounds strange, doesn't it?) for better recognition by the system.

Comment

Crap, man. I don't have a credit card as of now. I just turned 18 and my mom refuses to let me use hers for a game even though I'd be paying for it. I was going to try and apply for a Paypal Debit card, but hell... Now I'm not so sure what to do...

I have to play FFXI though @_@

Although, paypal is pretty popular, so in a way it is a bit "widely accepted" I'm sure. I just don't want to apply for something that I plan on only using for FFXI, then it ends up not working...

Comment

Crap, man. I don't have a credit card as of now. I just turned 18 and my mom refuses to let me use hers for a game even though I'd be paying for it. I was going to try and apply for a Paypal Debit card, but hell... Now I'm not so sure what to do...
              I have to play FFXI though @_@
              Although, paypal is pretty popular, so in a way it is a bit "widely accepted" I'm sure. I just don't want to apply for something that I plan on only using for FFXI, then it ends up not working...
              Where do you live, btw?

If you live in US, getting a debit card from one of the local banks is a lot easier than getting a paypal debit card. Being 18 years old already, banks won't require your parents to sign anything. (Or at least they didn't when I opened mine when I was 19.) Not to mention "loading" money to the locally issued debit card is as easy as going to the nearest ATM of that bank.

While opening deposit may be required, ranging anywhere between $25 to $1,000 depending on the bank, I hope you have enough of your parents' trust to let you borrow that money from then to open an acct. It's only required to open it, not to maintain. You can withdraw it all the second after it's opened and active.

EDIT: As for the "widely accepted" matter, paypal being famous as an online payment system doesn't have to mean their Mastercard is also "widely accepted." In order to issue Mastercards, there mainly are 2 ways. 1. Get the license from Mastercard International, or their regional subsidaries thereof, to become an issuing institution, or 2. affiliate w/ one of the companies that already have the issuing rights, and have them issue the cards on your behalf (such as those "shop cards" that also have VISA/Mastercard logos, but actually issued by 3rd party credit card companies).

Now, if they're affiliated w/ large financial institutions such as MBNA America or Citicorp, this is the kind of problem we can just forget about. But if they're issuing it themselves, or affiliating w/ rather small institutions, this sort of problem could happen, because as a Mastercard, paypal is arguably very minor.
              Last edited by bside; 11-01-2006, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Hmm. I live in Louisiana. Borrowing money isn't an issue, I have enough money to do it, and I don't think it's anywhere near $1000 here, lol. More like $25 or less I believe. My mom was saying the same thing, but how long does that take exactly? She was telling me to open a banking account, then LATER on applying for a debit card... -_-

I don't want to wait too long...

EDIT:
                I'm screwed... Paypal only allows you to apply for a PayPal Debit card if you already have a credit card on your paypal account...

As for my local bank, you have to start off with $100, and you usually have to wait 4months to a year before APPLYING for a debit card.
                Last edited by Chaos Zero; 11-01-2006, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Hmm. I live in Louisiana. Borrowing money isn't an issue, I have enough money to do it, and I don't think it's anywhere near $1000 here, lol. More like $25 or less I believe. My mom was saying the same thing, but how long does that take exactly? She was telling me to open a banking account, then LATER on applying for a debit card... -_-
                  I don't want to wait too long...
                  Don't get the paypal's debit card then, unless you have too much money sitting in your paypal's acct.

From my experience w/ Fleet Bank of Boston, MA, it's like this;

1. Go to one of the local branch offices to open a checking acct (debit card only comes w/ checking accts).
                  2. They ask whether you want the "normal," non-VISA/Mastercard cash card, or VISA/Mastercard debit card. Obvisouly, ask for the latter.
                  3. About 1 week later, you'll get in by mail.

Make sure you bring 1. Your government-issued photo ID, idealy driver's license or passport, 2. just to be on the safe side, your social security card (they need to record your SS# to report it to IRS every fiscal year), 3. if they have student acct sort of things that gives good discounts for students, your school ID (assuming you go to school now), and most importantly, 4. opening deposit.

Like I said, loading money to your acct is as easy as making a deposit at one of the local ATM's. They can take checks, too, but it takes some time to clear. Cash deposit is faster to clear, and the fastest is cash/bank check/government check deposit directly to the clearks while business hours.

Comment

As for my local bank, you have to start off with $100, and you usually have to wait 4months to a year before APPLYING for a debit card.
                    Which bank did you check w/?

Call all the local banks to see if their policies differ. It might be because of 9/11 that pretty much changed everything for security things, but at least when I opened mine, Fleet didn't do that.

I just checked the Bank of America's website, and they didn't seem to have that sort of restrictions. Either way, check w/ the local banks after they open this morning.

Comment

If you indeed have to wait months to get a debit card, then I have a solution for you. Pick up a Visa Gift Card.

I had a situation where my debit card expired but the bank sent the new card to my old address... blah blah blah, long story short, I was without FFXI. I walked down to my local Rite Aid and picked up a $50 Visa Vanilla Gift card for $54.95 ($4.95 fee). They also had $25 cards ($3.95 fee) and $100 cards ($5.95 fee).

The woman activated it at the register and I walked home, punched it in, and re-entered Vana'diel.

Granted, its not the most ideal situation, but it works in a pinch. Yes, you have to put in more money than necessary, but you still have the balance on the card, and you are not bothering your parents.

Visa Gift Cards are extremely common now, especially now that Christmas is coming. I don't know where else to find them, but I suspect that they are common in the big pharmacy chains. (Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS) Possibly even Walmart and the likes.

I went to Rite Aid because I had seen them previously and it is at the end of my street.
                      Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                      I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

I am not sure if my experience is going to help... I got my first Credit Card in my first year in College. There were a lot of Credit Card agency came to university promoting their Credit Card to college students. Those Credit Cards were special offers for students, does not required income, has low credit limit, etc. Just need to fill out the application form in front of their desk, and that is about it.
                        Server: Quetzalcoatl
                        Race: Hume Rank 7
                        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Originally posted by Haggai View Post
                          I don't know where else to find them, but I suspect that they are common in the big pharmacy chains. (Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS) Possibly even Walmart and the likes.
                          All malls operated by Simon carry the Simon VISA gift card. Works just like what Haggai mentioned. Other than that, try convenience stores such as Seven-Eleven and Store 24. (I don't know if they operate in Louisiana, though.) Store 24 used to carry CashX, but appearently CashX went out of business, so I don't know if they carry the similar products now.

Nevertheless, bank issued debit cards are usually better. You can't "load" money to many of those prepaid cards, and even if you can, they normally chage fees for it, which isn't the case w/ debit cards. Monthly fees are usually higher for prepaid cards, like $2, whereas debit cards are normally free.

Comment

Originally posted by bside View Post
                            Nevertheless, bank issued debit cards are usually better. You can't "load" money to many of those prepaid cards, and even if you can, they normally chage fees for it, which isn't the case w/ debit cards. Monthly fees are usually higher for prepaid cards, like $2, whereas debit cards are normally free.
                            Yes, bank debit cards are much better. I only suggested the prepaid as a "I want to play bad, what can I do?" temporary solution. Definitely not a permanent solution.
                            Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                            I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

Hmm, I might give the gift card a try untill I can get a debit card.

Comment

Working...
                              X