No announcement yet.

What do you click/use the most on DiV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you click/use the most on DiV?

Comment

I have New Posts bookmarked

Comment

I browse through my User CP first. I subscribe to every thread I post in, so I always check those first to see if there are any new replies. Once I've finished with those threads, I go straight to New Posts looking for ... new posts.

Search is like this on every vBulletin forum, I doubt anything really can be done with it. It's always been a crapshoot in my opinion.
        sigpic
        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

"All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Ok, wait wait. Raise your hand if you actually browse from the forum main page and use the categories. Because it sounds like it'd be best to have all the threads in one forum where the new posts could just rise to the top.
            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Official bored at work / just shooting the shit / no rails to derail thread - Last Page

Subscribed Threads.

That order :x
              Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

I actually use the Top 7 statistics page to check new posts.

However, if you just made everything dump into one all-consuming forum, I could see that as bad, way bad. Olde posts (where a lot of good info is) would sink like a rock, never to surface again, then you'd get all these newbs asking the same damn questions 5475943 times over because they're too lazy to search. At least now, with everything categorized, they actually look before n00bing it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by LilithAngel View Post
                  I actually use the Top 7 statistics page to check new posts.

However, if you just made everything dump into one all-consuming forum, I could see that as bad, way bad. Olde posts (where a lot of good info is) would sink like a rock, never to surface again, then you'd get all these newbs asking the same damn questions 5475943 times over because they're too lazy to search. At least now, with everything categorized, they actually look before n00bing it up a bit.
                  I agree. I do like the organization. Sometimes if I'm looking for something specific, I'll go to the proper forum for it. Usually I'm not looking for answers, though, so I browse the new posts looking for people who are.
                  sigpic
                  ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                  ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                  ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                  ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Perhaps there would be some way I could reduce that information to a thread property so that if you wanted to see all the red mage threads you could filter for just those threads rather than navigating to the red mage forum. You could set multiple flags per thread so for example a thread on tanking might show up under either the pld or nin filter. I wonder if the forum software would accomodate something like that.

Comment

Condense forums, add a new post box for each topic?

Comment

Would prolly be a lot of work to teach the forums that the key word 'tanking' would tag the thread for both Paladin and Ninja, but also would need to realize that it could also be talking about Blue Mage, Red Mage, Warrior, or anything else unorthodox but capable. Same for other concepts and key words.

Also, a good number of people usually give threads names that have nothing to do with the topic. Don't ask me why people are idiots like that, they just are. Those will quickly get lost in the shuffle.

Comment

I pretty much just use the "New Posts" link.

Comment

Nuu teaching the forums to parse the topics would be too much work. The reorganizing would be hard enough. I was thinking more like checkboxes on the new thread form. We'd need job, craft, and server flags and some for OT categories maybe. There's got to be an ergonomic way to organize that information ..

Comment

Oh, well, yeah, I'm sure pre-setting the list of what kind of tags you slap on a thread when you make it wouldn't be too hard, but that still will be a good number of them. There's a wide variety of topics at hand for FFXI, be it tanking, support, DD, farming, HELM, crafting, fishing, NMs, Assault, ENM, job, quest, ad infinitum.

I'd prolly go with a collapsable menu the thread maker could open up, or a pop up like with the extra smileys, for these tic boxes, cuz otherwise, half the screen could easily be filled with them before they even get to the part where they start typing the message.

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                                Ok, wait wait. Raise your hand if you actually browse from the forum main page and use the categories. Because it sounds like it'd be best to have all the threads in one forum where the new posts could just rise to the top.
                                Actually, this would be a great idea, on two conditions:

1- A Tag system, which would also allow people to tag threads STARTED BY OTHER POSTERS. It would also need to allow ONLY posts tagged with that to be shown. This would also be a very cool way of letting people keep personal 'folders' of threads by tagging them, say by adding "YM-Guide", YM could keep track of guides that he finds particularly good at getting him to suck less. Using public tags, it'd also be kinda neat to sort through what other people find interesting. For example, someone new to the site could look at BBQ-Fun and quickly pick up that BBQ loves SMT games, or Feba-Interests and realize that Feba is dangerously insane.

2- SAGE. fukken sage. We've been needing this for years, no idea how I forgot it 'till now.

Comment

Working...
                                X