• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC3's Combat - The Best Yet!

Exploring Assassin's Creed 3's Revolutionary combat mechanics | Joystiq

Exploring Assassin's Creed 3's Revolutionary combat mechanics

by Alexander Sliwinski on Sep 24th 2012 7:30PM

Assassin's Creed 3's gameplay elements will feel very familiar to longtime fans of the franchise, with the significant exception of the combat mechanics. It'll be interesting to see how fans adapt and newcomers react.

"We rebuilt the combat system. I think one of the most striking comments we've heard in the last two days is how different it feels to fans of the franchise to previous game. I think you can do a lot," Alex Hutchinson, creative director on Assassin's Creed 3 told me at a recent press preview. "The whole flow of it is different, the archetypes are different, the old strategies just won't work."

Curious about the specifics, I asked Hutchinson for standout examples of differences between the previous four installments in the series and the latest iteration.

"For example, before, a counter was an automatic kill. You didn't have to make a decision after that, you could just spam the attack button. Before, you had to target everyone individually by using the left trigger, which you no longer have to do. You would block on the right trigger, which is now a face button. You couldn't run out of a fight in the old version, but now you can, because the right trigger is still free run. Nobody attacked simultaneously, which they do now. It's virtually a complete rewrite."Assassin's Creed 3 (9/24/12)

What actually struck me about the combat system is how much it was trying to capture thatBatman: Arkham City magic, though it didn't seem to achieve the rhythmic flow of the Dark Knight's games. Hutchinson is pleased with the scenarios capable in the new combat system, however.

"I'm much happier than we were before. It's much more fluid, and if you're a good player, you can run into conflicts, pick everyone off, be interrupted by a guy attacking you, counter him out, take his weapon and move out of the fight in one fluid motion. Before we felt the combat was very stop-start and that it had degenerative strategies, which you could discover and start spamming particular buttons," expressed Hutchinson.

I did find myself spamming the normal attack button during my session. Steven Masters, lead game designer, believes that may be due to my having been dropped right into sequence six of the game at the preview event, instead of building up a muscle memory of skills over time.

"Getting in and out of combat is completely different. It's now completely state based, if you're standing near an enemy you're automatically fighting. You don't have to lock in and lock out, so you can move in and out of combat really fluidly," Masters explained.

There are also moments in combat, when surrounded by a group of enemies, that a line of redcoats will form a musket line. It's actually possible to grab someone as a human shield at that moment to absorb the lead balls.

I spoke with Masters how we've seen an ever-growing selection of weapons in the series, but they've never seemed to take the place of the trusty hidden blades with a secondary projectile weapon.

"How we balance them is the different weapons have a certain number of hits before they trigger a combo. As you, say, get your tomahawk, the first one will take five hits to do [a combo], then as you upgrade it'll go down to three," said Masters, expressing that the variety of weapons allow players to choose the types of animations they prefer to see. "The different weapons offer a different style of fighting, it's really down to personal preference. Me, I like the war clubs because they're big and brutal. There's just sort of a 'Wham!' feeling to them."

Both Hutchinson and Masters stressed that the new counter system adds many more dynamics to combat situations, with many enemies having natural resistances to certain moves and players needing to identify the best strategy for different types.

I'm looking forward to trying the combat again in more natural increments, getting some time to find the nuance in it. Thankfully, not going to have to wait too long, Assassin's Creed 3 will have players reliving the American Revolution October 30.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: AC3's Combat - The Best Yet!

I really don't know where I stand on getting this.

I've had it pre-ordered for the Wii U pretty much since the game's announcement earlier this year (yeah, there was a SKU for that even back then) and it seems like a series about just as unfocused on getting to the point as Kingdom Hearts. Moreover, I've learned that when Ubi Soft launches games with a platform its almost always a mixed bag and its better to go with one of their noble, original efforts than risk burning yourself on a port they cobbled together to make launch.

For 3DS the noble, original effort was Ghost Recon as a tactics RPG. It was no Advance Wars or Fire Emblem, but I do hope Ubi Soft considers revisiting and expanding on it because it was a nice start to doing something different with that series. The rest of their 3DS launch was garbage and people were right to ignore it. For Vita, there were no originals, but Rayman Origins does seem to have been a rather solid port for a change, though still nothing special in the face of its console bretheren. That Ubi Soft launched Dungeon Hunter - a 99 cent iOS game - on Vita for $39.99 is still nothing short of hysterical.

Assassin's Creed III does look cool and I like the setting more than what I've seen of the other games. i just don't know if I have the time, money and patience to sift through four other console games and a few handheld spin-offs to understand everything that's going on in the story - and Assassin's Creed III already has a spin-off for Vita. I do applaud Ubi Soft for their picks for protagonists this time out, though.

Comment

Considering how bad the combat in the Assassin's Creed franchise has always been (Revelations is "better" than the rest, but it's the one-eyed-man in the Kingdom of the Blind as far as engaging combat goes)... I'll believe this when I see it. Multi-flavored counterattacks still sucks as a combat mechanic, as anyone who has ever played Heavenly Sword can attest to.

Icemage

Comment

I've never considered AC combat to be bad. But that's probably because the way I see it if I find myself fighting multiple enemies at once with no escape plan then I probably screwed up somewhere.

My kills usually take a while because I systematically work my way towards both the target and securing my escape, and since there's really no point or reward for killing needlessly I'm usually out before they even know what killed the main honcho. So I never expected anything like Arkham or Sleepdogs for this game.

Then again, I probably wont get it until it's severely discounted because the setting doesn't appeal to me at all. <_<;
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I've loved the AC games. The last one was a bit disappointing with how easy it was though. Being able to call your assassins in, basically at will, and kill everyone in sight is, well, easy... Great graphics though, great game play, and I'm excited about the new combat mechanics.
          75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
          RANK 10 Bastok
          CoP: Done
          ZM: Done
          ToA: Done
          Assault rank: Captain
          Campaign Medal: Medals
          Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
          This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Is AC all that deep on stealth mechanics? I know non-lethal options are off the table since assassins are involved, but do the go on the level of MGS, Thief or DXHR or is it really just an action game? I had this pre-ordered for Wii U pretty much just because "Ooooh pretty collectors tin" a several months back, but if this isn't all that close to those I might come back to it when its cheaper since as Ubi Soft's launch offerings go I'm way more interested in Zombi U.

Comment

It is and it isn't. Stealth is more about doing parkour to stay out of the enemies' field of view while on "restricted" areas and not drawing attention on yourself while silently (or loudly) killing guards in the way in the cities. So all the hanging from ledges, jumping through rooftops, building climbing, blending with the crowd, and silently/discretely disposing of guards and people in the way you may expect are all there.

But it's open about how you want to go about it, whether you want to kill everyone that saw you or run away and hide or simply killing from a distance it's all about how you want to play it. "Bosses" are just regular humans many times weaker than their guards, so the boss fights are more about the situation you put yourself in after the kill rather than a Metal Gear-ish boss. Sometimes you can actually kill someone and be out before anyone even notices, then you just have to blend in or stay hidden/out of sight while you get away or to a safe house. And citizens also help you get away if you help them.

Or you can just leave a trail of bodies and kill each and every guard you meet. Your choice.

Either way I strongly recommend you start from the first game. The following games kinda cheapened the assassin experience for the sake of more streamlined gameplay, so playing the first one first will allow you to appreciate the following games and specially the story once you realize Ezio is no Altair. For better or worse.
              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I am also in a similar boat. I have never touched an Assassins Creed game (though I do own a ps3)... I am getting a Wii U at launch and AC3 looks interesting.... but I am worried that I should play all the other games first before touching this one...

Comment

I recommend playing them in order if you can. But if not it will probably be ok story-wise since this new guy has nothing to do with Altair and Ezio from the previous games.

Some people don't even know about Altair for that matter.
                  sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I've played all 3, and i'm lost in the storyline. I dont think the storyline is that great, but the game play is awesome, the graphics are awesome, everythings great. The problem I have with the storyline is tht in order to trigger a new sequence you need to get to a certain point in the game. Well there's so much you can do in game I often forget about advancing the plot for weeks. then when i do advance it, I forget what had happened before...
                    75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                    RANK 10 Bastok
                    CoP: Done
                    ZM: Done
                    ToA: Done
                    Assault rank: Captain
                    Campaign Medal: Medals
                    Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                    This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

I'm probably just going to get AC3 for Wii U... and play it from there... if i really like it, maybe i might go back and play the older ones... but i already have so much to play and look forward to playing I might not bother going back to the older games in the series..

Comment

Working...
                      X