Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maju
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
    If you had read my post you'd realise that you missed my point.
    I probably wasn't clear enough. I wasn't refuting a point you were making or arguing against you, but rather giving my opinion on ganking and people who whine when it happens.

    On my server forums we used to have a saying that went something like this: "Gasp! PVP happened on a PVP server!"

    Originally posted by Kailea View Post
    ok so now PvE players = suck? wow and you call others "clouded"
    You should have read my other post as well. In games that offer both PVE and PVP servers, the PVE server is going to attract the collectively less competent player pool. Empirical data supports this statement.

    Originally posted by Armando View Post
    Ugh, I don't like how it looks at all. I hate that sort of armor design. I'm pretty biased against that type of look; I'm a bit of a purist and it just looks like they can't draw real weapons and armor, so they're going to compensate by making it as flashy, big, unrealistic and impractical as possible. FFXI armor always looked pretty reasonable to me, and the armor was pretty consistent for both genders. Granted, FFXI Great Swords are still way too big to be plausible, but the one-handed swords don't look all massive and serrated and jewel-encrusted. That female assassin's armor looks like it would clink more than my Paladin's, and looks pretty gothic in nature instead of stealthy. The women look all sexy, yet the men look all burly and massive and like they're wearing over 80 lbs of armor.
    I agree about the gear design. I guess Koreans just love that kind of stuff. Personally, I think it's often too over the top to be taken seriously.

    The guys aren't all burly and massive, though. The character customization is probably the most comprehensive on the market*, so you can make big and burly guys if you want, however, back when they were showing early teaser footage there were complaints of especially the men of Elyos (the angelic race) looking too much like soft boy band types.

    * Some guy made a character that looks exactly like Obama: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2BzE4fqsU"]YouTube - Aion - Obama plays Aion[/ame]

    Leave a comment:


  • Armando
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Ugh, I don't like how it looks at all. I hate that sort of armor design. I'm pretty biased against that type of look; I'm a bit of a purist and it just looks like they can't draw real weapons and armor, so they're going to compensate by making it as flashy, big, unrealistic and impractical as possible. FFXI armor always looked pretty reasonable to me, and the armor was pretty consistent for both genders. Granted, FFXI Great Swords are still way too big to be plausible, but the one-handed swords don't look all massive and serrated and jewel-encrusted. That female assassin's armor looks like it would clink more than my Paladin's, and looks pretty gothic in nature instead of stealthy. The women look all sexy, yet the men look all burly and massive and like they're wearing over 80 lbs of armor.

    The class intros showed some pretty flashy stuff, too, which also makes me wary. But I have to give the game that it does look awesome on a graphical level, and the combat looks more interesting than FFXI's, but the latter isn't that much of an achievement in my eyes.

    At any rate it's incredibly unlikely I'll subscribe to a new MMO when I cancel my FFXI account at some point in the (probably distant) future, so it doesn't matter much to me whether the game is really any good.
    Last edited by Armando; 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • nanatsu
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Originally posted by Kailea View Post

    your kidding, you really think people are going to go by that chart..... really?

    ....that chart screams "WoW fanboy" so hard, my glasses cracked
    Did a little research. That chart comes from a relatively new site called MMO Data that attempts to pick up where MMOGCHART.COM left off. Although it is a fairly new source of information, it seems reliable enough. It bases much of its numbers from figures released by official and reliable sources, as well as sources that aren't official. Because of that, the figures include accuracy ratings for each mmo based on the reliability of the sources used. It's all pretty transparent, since you can see for yourself where and how he came up with the numbers.

    Not only that but it falls in line closely with the most up-to-date report from Mmogchart, which placed WoW at 62% and FFXI at 3% in April 2008. I don't see a compelling reason to disbelieve that chart, and to be honest, it's pretty much what I expected given the state of the MMO community at the moment.

    EDIT: Made a mistake with the urls.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aksannyi
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
    Can you imagine non-consensual PvP in FFXI? You'd just see a BLM running through each starter area casting a -ga that kills all the mules near the AH or the Chocobo Stables.
    That would actually be fairly hilarious. Imagine all the rolan mules auto HPing, lol. Only safe spots would be the towns.

    Really, as someone who HATES PvP and sucks really bad at it, it's not as bad as it seems. Yeah, sometimes I get ganked. I'm level 78 now, still the gap between 78 and 80 is huge, especially if they're geared. I'm certainly not, I haven't done any raids yet because you have to be 80 to do them. The guild will gear me when I get there, etc. No biggie. But basically 80 vs. Anything other than 80 is not a fair fight. It sucks sometimes to get ganked, but most of the time they kill you once, you get your corpse, and you move on. Campers aren't really that common, and when they camp, you call in your guild to fuck them up. Which is awesome.

    Sometimes you'll see a character from the opposite faction and you'll just leave them alone. Sometimes, you just don't care to pick fights. PvP isn't all that bad. I'm coming to terms with the fact that people are gonna gank sometimes just to be dicks. I've been ganked AFK, it happens. There's no penalty, not even gear repair costs.

    Believe me, I was the biggest anti-PvP person there was, but all my friends went to a PvP server and really, it isn't that bad.

    I've heard a bit about Aion, not really interested. Between XI, XIV, and WoW, I think I've got enough going on.

    Leave a comment:


  • Balfree
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    That chart clearly represents what most twats are playing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kailea
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Originally posted by Maju View Post
    If you think non-consensual PvP = full scale, constant ganking outside town, you are badly mistaken and your judgement is clouded by your limited experience with MMOs other than FFXI.

    WoW has a lot more freedom to kill people you meet than Aion and it does not cause problems at all. Ganking and fighting back gankers was the only thing keeping leveling in WoW bearable. A little bit of turf war at quest locations was exactly what was needed to spice up the monotonous grind. If it was too hot for you to handle, you could just roll on a PVE (aka. bad player server) and live in a la-la land where nobody would punish you for being terrible until you joined a Battleground queue and had to face superior PVP server players in consensual PVP.
    ok so now PvE players = suck? wow and you call others "clouded"

    ---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

    Originally posted by Thoris View Post
    LoL are you blind

    FFXi only has 2% market share.


    Also its open world pvp when u get to lv 25.

    They also have debuff that will be put on people that kill low lv people. After they get the Debuff everyone in the area will get a notice where that player is located on the map.
    your kidding, you really think people are going to go by that chart..... really?

    ....that chart screams "WoW fanboy" so hard, my glasses cracked

    Leave a comment:


  • Thoris
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Originally posted by Malacite View Post
    Looks neat but gimmicky.

    And it well never touch FFXI or WoW since these two get a huge following just from name recognition, never mind the actual content.


    Also, FFXIV - 'nuff said.
    LoL are you blind

    FFXi only has 2% market share.


    Also its open world pvp when u get to lv 25.

    They also have debuff that will be put on people that kill low lv people. After they get the Debuff everyone in the area will get a notice where that player is located on the map.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Vyuru
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Originally posted by Maju View Post
    stuff
    If you had read my post you'd realise that you missed my point.

    Leave a comment:


  • Yellow Mage
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Dangit, I knew it was just going to be some Aion fanboyism. Now I'm going to have to punch something.

    Leave a comment:


  • Maju
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
    Hence the problem with free PvP. Some jerk is going to go and make an ass of himself just because he can, whether or not I can kill him in a PvP fight isn't the issue, whether I even want to waste my time on him IS the issue. Those players typically have a very immature attitude and no sense of sportsmanship, which make them not worth my time or the exp I might have gained by beating them.
    Well, shit happens. Sometimes you get rolled by a guy twice your level, so suck it up and move on. There is no death penalty and it's not like you're constantly being stalked. Still, sometimes that high level guy you meet is so hopelessly bad you get to embarrass them by actually beating them and that is worth a thousand deaths.

    Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
    I always love it when some "amazingly skilled" PvP'er comes along and states anyone who plays on a PvE server lacks skill. Usually said person rolls a rogue, druid or death knight and facerolls other classes into the ground because class balance is next to non-existant in WoW. They can't even balance melee vs casters. There again, since WotLK hit skill in both PvP or PvE is not required as the devs now base the game around the lowest common denominator.
    Actually, I played a warrior and I was damn good for my time, yes. Was I the most amazing player to on the planet? No, but I never lost an even remotely fair fight until long after I had hit L60 and in TBC my team qualified for the 5v5 arena world championships, so I'm not talking completely out of my ass here.

    In any case, PVE servers have weaker player pools than PVP servers do. This is obvious from the fact that since the beginning of WoW, PVP servers have greatly outpaced PVE servers in raid progression and the fact that people from PVE servers can't compete in arena ladders and fail to pull their weight in battlegrounds. I'm not just some elitist throwing around baseless accusations, I'm talking about statistical facts here.

    Speaking of WotLK, you're probably right about the direction Blizzard has taken with the game, not that I really care as I quit long before the expansion hit.

    Also, and I'm not accusing you here, usually the guy crying about there being no skill involved and the game being all about gear/class/level/luck/moon phase is really a scrub failing to face or recognize reality. This is why the official WoW forums have always been a cesspool of failures where bad people whine about the wrong things. Sometimes they whine about the correct issue (class/ability x is bad/loses against class y) but, even then they usually fail to point out the correct reason to why this is happening. Like, back when warlocks were ridiculous, you'd have warrior, of all people, whining how they can't beat warlocks because of Fear (even though warriors are practically immune to fear) when they should be whining about being tanked to death by drain builds.
    Last edited by Maju; 07-01-2009, 08:45 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Malacite
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Looks neat but gimmicky.

    And it well never touch FFXI or WoW since these two get a huge following just from name recognition, never mind the actual content.


    Also, FFXIV - 'nuff said.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tickmeoff
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    After getting in on the Aion beta I am considering picking it up at release. It's not amazingly super epic and better than every MMO evar, but it is quite enjoyable. The character creation is quite extensive too, and that is something I really appreciate.


    I am also not a care bear, so PvP is very appealing to me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Raydeus
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    I hate overly complicated armor like that.

    Also hate having to "loot" the corpses of stuff I kill. XI's approach (with chests as extras) is better for me. It looks a lot like guildwars (even the interface) too, and I didn't like that one either (armor looked the same as well.)

    So yeah, I don't think I'd play it even if it was completely free.





    PS > Screw PvP

    Leave a comment:


  • Grizzlebeard
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    Originally posted by Maju View Post
    you could just roll on a PVE (aka. bad player server) and live in a la-la land where nobody would punish you for being terrible until you joined a Battleground queue and had to face superior PVP server players in consensual PVP.
    I always love it when some "amazingly skilled" PvP'er comes along and states anyone who plays on a PvE server lacks skill. Usually said person rolls a rogue, druid or death knight and facerolls other classes into the ground because class balance is next to non-existant in WoW. They can't even balance melee vs casters. There again, since WotLK hit skill in both PvP or PvE is not required as the devs now base the game around the lowest common denominator.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vyuru
    replied
    Re: Found a game to Replace WOW and FFXI

    If it was too hot for you to handle, you could just roll on a PVE (aka. bad player server) and live in a la-la land
    In other words...

    If you don't like being ganked by high level players who can't go toe to toe with anyone even close to their own level and who get their jollies by killing the new players, then go off to the bad player server with you!

    Hence the problem with free PvP. Some jerk is going to go and make an ass of himself just because he can, whether or not I can kill him in a PvP fight isn't the issue, whether I even want to waste my time on him IS the issue. Those players typically have a very immature attitude and no sense of sportsmanship, which make them not worth my time or the exp I might have gained by beating them.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X