Need some DS and PS2 reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some DS and PS2 reccomendations

I've noticed as of late my choice in games has become rather dark and mostly RPGs. I think I need a change of pace and the last thing I need are more PS2 RPGs. I can wait til Persona 3 for my next PS2 RPG, I got a heap of Makai Wars and Shin Megami Tensei games to work through.

I definately need something more light-hearted than what I've been playing. I wouldn't object to yet another RPG if it was such, but would prefer something else. Kinda looking at Okami, Children of Mana, Lunar Knights or Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja (yes, this is a real game). Most of those are dungeon hacks, which works.

Thought about Dirge of Cerberus since FFVII is a little campy, but I'm on FF overload right now. Rotating FFVI, FFIII, FFXII and FFXI Castlevania, Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk are currently also in rotation.

Re: Need some DS and PS2 reccomendations

Tekken 5 for PS2. Cheap (in U.S. anyway) to buy if you don't have it already, easy to get into, easy to get out of. Won't take much time away from FFXI.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
      Tekken 5 for PS2. Cheap (in U.S. anyway) to buy if you don't have it already, easy to get into, easy to get out of. Won't take much time away from FFXI.
      I'm more of a Soul Calibur guy, which does remind me I never did get SCIII

Comment

DS games that are fun, Harvest Moon (only one right now, but a new one coming out by the end of the year) and Lost in Blue.

PS and PS2 games I like:

PS2:

Draken
        Ico
        Onimusha I or III
        Star Ocean
        Xenosaga, the first one. I don't like the second and I haven't played the third.

PS:

Valkyrie Profile
        Star Ocean II
        Legend of Dragoon, campy but fun
        Parasite Eve, again the first one is best IMO, but it may not be to your taste if you want a lighter game, same with the Onimusha games.

Jury is still out on Valkyrie Profile II, Silmeria.

EDIT:

Oh, and if you have a gamecube or wii, the new Zelda is incredibly fun.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

I personally didn't care for the Star Ocean series. I'm not sure why, because I like RPGs, and I like the battle system Star Ocean uses. For some reason the game just left me cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
            DS games that are fun, Harvest Moon (only one right now, but a new one coming out by the end of the year) and Lost in Blue.
            They have some kind of spinoff to Harvest Moon coming in June, its called Rune Factory: A Harvest Moon Fantasy. I never really gave Harvest Mood a fair shake, so I guess I could check out the DS one.

Draken
            Ico
            Onimusha I or III
            Star Ocean
            Xenosaga, the first one. I don't like the second and I haven't played the third.
            Draken was awesome dispite its flaws and hideous load times. Ico is still my #1 PS2 game. Onimusha I enjoyed, even liked Onimusha Tactics. Xenosaga I liked, hated every moment of Xenosaga II.

Star Ocean is the only one I haven't tried.

Oh, and if you have a gamecube or wii, the new Zelda is incredibly fun.
            I need a Wii, I'm going nuts that I haven't played the new Zelda, but then, I did wait a year before playing Ocarina of Time.

Comment

Did you play Shadow of the Colossus or Okami when they first came out? I can't recommend either one highly enough.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

katamari damacy and we katamari for PS2.

Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright for DS.

Comment

Heh, not much I can help with here. Still goofing around with RPGs about the only non-RPG games I have are SOCOM I, II, & III, DOA, and some other fighter game I can't quite remember (I just remember that the characters have a second form all animals they can go into for temporary lengths of time).

Otherwise RPG related and ones that are probably more obscure to people I have are Ephimeral Phantasia, Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, and I'm forgetting what the 3rd one was. I know I have another that was pretty obscure.

Ephimeral Phantasia is a bit of an old one came out the same time PS2 did. It's a pretty light-hearted RPG, main character is a bard and he uses his living instrument as his weapon. Game also has songs you can play but you have to hit the right button at the right time to hear the song right (Depending on how well you play, what you play, and were you play it can change the storyline as well). The game has like 3 or 4 endings.

Magna Carta is a more recent one, just a heads up on it. Character design is based around the manwhe style of art, so the males characters are modeled with the intent of being appealing to females and the females are modeled with the intent of being appealing to males (They uhh, even payed well attention to how the female breasts should move. Not chaotic like DOA did).

I did recently come across a part on Magna Carta I thought was funny, that's were the main character Calintz gets bitch slapped by General Agreias. It was just so out of place, but then again the characters all seem to have this slightly discomforting behavior.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I had Magna Carta at one point, really wanted to like it but the battle system was just awful. The art direction was fantastic, but was about as far as I could enjoy it. And I'd slap Calintz if I got the chance.

Picked up Lunar Knights after I realized it was a sequel to the Boktai series, which apparently the only game series Hideo Kojima is allowed to work on outside of Metal Gear. Its "dark" only in the sense the setting is gothing, but your allies are flying sunflowers and winged cats.

Comment

God of War !

Awesome game.
                      In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                      And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                      Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                      Yeah, It’s true.
                      It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Tales of the Abyss!! I highly recommend that, but then again I've been a pretty big fan of the 'Tales of' games for a long time and I'd recommend all of them to you even though I know some of them were subpar (the battle system is just too fun though!).

Star Ocean II/TteoT are games I like alot as well... although I didn't care much for TteoT's storyline. That one's all about gameplay and the endgame dungeons/bosses.

Valkryie Profile (haven't played Silmeria) was awesome... love that game, cannot get enough.

Xenogears was awesome!!!!
                        Xenosaga EP.1 was ok, EP.2... (while many people didn't like the battle system I found it to be interesting in some fights, tedious in random encounters though!) was decent. EP.3 awesome! Not as good as Xenogears, but definitely the best of the PS2 Xenosaga games.

Also, can't leave a PS2 games reccomendation thread without mention of EDIT: Capcom vs SNK 2.
                        (Nakoruru FTW)
                        Last edited by TenchiHawkwing; 03-16-2007, 06:22 PM. Reason: Accidently put Marvel vs Capcom (playing that right now ^^;;)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                          I've been really dissapointed with the recent Harvest Moon releases. Forget Valley is the worst harvest moon world in the universe, and they keep on adding more HM games that take place in the same world
                          Originally posted by Ellipses
                          Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                          Originally posted by MCLV
                          A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                          More Sig:

Comment

God of War 2.
                            God of War 2.
                            Also, God of War 2.

But seriously, if you're looking for something light hearted and fun, you can't go wrong with the Ratchet and Clank series.

In order, check out Ratchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank: Goin' Commando, Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal, and Ratchet Deadlocked.
                            PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                            Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                            WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                            Currently Playing:
                            FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

I had a vision after this topic was posted that Pai Pai would suggest those two games :lol: I might go for some R&C greatest hits later on, I do like that series, Jak and Sly are kinda meh.

Comment

Working...
                              X