Anyone still around here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone still around here?

Oh nice, I didn't know there were any private FFXI servers. Tempting to give it a try since I do much prefer the game before the cap was raised above 75, but not sure how I feel about starting a character from scratch after putting years into my official ones lol.

Comment

Yea I totally understand. If you're still playing and have friends and active LS, there's no point. I've been gone from game for 6+ years tho. Not only the game changes to much, no one I knew even plays anymore. And the way Nasomi is, is just perfect for my Nostalgia :D

Honestly, I was worried I was starting to have depression. I've been feeling sad... really sad while I was at work these past 3 weeks. Getting on FFXI made me happy.

If anyone decided to give it a try, please not that Nasomi is having ISP problem for the past week (Router keeps changing the server's IP which is suppose to be static). You may be disconnected a lot, which should be fixed soon :D
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
        It's a private server that try to keep the game the way it was back in 2005 with cap75. I don't think anyone would mind us talking about this now do they?
        I'll confess that I am ambivalent.

On the one hand, I think it's a service with small demand that SE isn't providing (in the sense that there's a fairly large gap between a Lv75 capped Vana'diel than the current official one), so it's not exactly hurting SE a lot.

But, I am a programmer (not in game industry, but code is code...). I am happy when people find my code useful, but I _know_ I would be annoyed if people use my work in a way contrary to the license it's under. (It may be different if I work on open source software, but I don't, and most programmers don't either.) I'd imagine it's the much the same for the content types like artists, level designers, etc.

Ultimately, though, I care that my fellow programmers (plus those mysterious content creators with their inscrutable artistic souls) get paid. If the revenue from the official FFXI is reaching those folks, I'd say it's wrong to have private servers, even if the competition is minimal. That said, I'm doubtful the majority of the folks who worked on FFXI get some sort of small-but-real royalty payment, so maybe I should just stay in the corner and grumble to myself.

It's easy to think "We're just fans doing fans' things, hurting no one," or "We made this; why don't you respect our wishes?" However, it is rather annoying to hold both kinds of thoughts at the same time, in the same brain.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by ItazuraNhomango View Post
          I'll confess that I am ambivalent.

On the one hand, I think it's a service with small demand that SE isn't providing (in the sense that there's a fairly large gap between a Lv75 capped Vana'diel than the current official one), so it's not exactly hurting SE a lot.

But, I am a programmer (not in game industry, but code is code...). I am happy when people find my code useful, but I _know_ I would be annoyed if people use my work in a way contrary to the license it's under. (It may be different if I work on open source software, but I don't, and most programmers don't either.) I'd imagine it's the much the same for the content types like artists, level designers, etc.

Ultimately, though, I care that my fellow programmers (plus those mysterious content creators with their inscrutable artistic souls) get paid. If the revenue from the official FFXI is reaching those folks, I'd say it's wrong to have private servers, even if the competition is minimal. That said, I'm doubtful the majority of the folks who worked on FFXI get some sort of small-but-real royalty payment, so maybe I should just stay in the corner and grumble to myself.

It's easy to think "We're just fans doing fans' things, hurting no one," or "We made this; why don't you respect our wishes?" However, it is rather annoying to hold both kinds of thoughts at the same time, in the same brain.
          What about in the case that when the day comes and Square-Enix says there isn't enough money to keep FFXI live, and the servers shut down...would you think it'd be okay to play on a private server? Even though I haven't played FFXI in a couple years myself, it was such a big part of my life for so long, that I just dread the thought that someday I won't be able to walk in that world again.

Comment

Understood Itazu. There's nothing I can say to justify not supporting the real game. (but I DID support the game subscribing to 3 accounts for 6+ years back in the days.)

Besides I wouldn't touch the retail as is anyway. Soloing all the old content or soloing 1-99 with Trusts are just not the FFXI that I felt so homesick about. Quite the opposite, it's how we couldn't do anything alone that made helping/receiving help felt so heart-warming. And it's really the latter that I crave. I've been playing only for a bit over a week but I've met a number of great helpful strangers already :D

And Nasomi just made fishing work in his server so I'm even happier now :D

Anyway I promise I'll try not to mention about the server.

- - - Updated - - -

Me! Guess what, the name Jei isn't taken here :D

Starting out as MNK, get some crystals to help with my WHM and BLM spells.
            Crystals don't sell lighting fast like retails, but fast enough :D People actually craft here.

And got my WHM to 13. First party in the Dunes with a good friend I made, Grandpa :D
            There's some bug, my LFG icon wouldn't go away. lol.

Remember when 2-3 parties camping next to each other in the Dunes?

The Dunes is quite an activity hub here. With level sync, people of all level just love to group up with a level 13-14 and party here.
            Last edited by Jei; 07-29-2016, 05:28 PM.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Ahhh, those screenshots are making so nostalgic, I can't take it! lol

Comment

That sounds awesome, to be honest. I wonder if Windower and some of the better addons would work with it? I always found I couldn't play the game without some of them. Though I see that party HP/MP is visible, which wasn't in the original game.

I think I'll just stick to WoW though, Legion comes out in a month.
                sigpic
                ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Oh yes it works

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Man... made it to 21 WHM and decided to make a Jeuno Run. The blood rush and excitement was real. Even died once but thanks to conquest Reraise scroll, the down time was minimum.

Visited OP in Buburimu Peninsula for a supply run. {Outpost Teleport} {Why not?}

And grab Regen from Mhaura.

The residential area... you have no idea how much time I spent around here back in the days. *sob*

Anyway, off to do Chocobo license quest!

"Have you ever seen a chocobo before?" Seriously Brutus? What an insult. Bastok has Bo's too, FYI.

Last edited by Jei; 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Ockman View Post
                      What about in the case that when the day comes and Square-Enix says there isn't enough money to keep FFXI live, and the servers shut down...would you think it'd be okay to play on a private server?.
                      I've asked myself that version of the private server question before, and was not able to come to a conclusive answer either.

Not to say that a concrete answer cannot be had.

Besides a respect for creators, the guiding principle I subscribe to is that knowledge should belong to all. So, when all the folks who took part in FFXI's creation pass away or affirmatively endorse giving the work over to public domain, then it's definitely OK! (Note that I do not view the company (SE in this case) or commercial entity as a 'creator'.)

Originally posted by Ockman View Post
                      Even though I haven't played FFXI in a couple years myself, it was such a big part of my life for so long, that I just dread the thought that someday I won't be able to walk in that world again
                      FFXI was definitely a cultural gem for many of us. Perhaps its cultural significance and uniqueness justify preservation regardless of its creators wishes.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Private servers definitely is riskier in that regard. The owner can simply decide to quit, as simple as that. All I can do is enjoy the present as much as I can. And take lots of pictures this time

Bummer how I used to host images on my own website back in those days. The website does not exist anymore. I'd really love to see them again.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                          That sounds awesome, to be honest. I wonder if Windower and some of the better addons would work with it? I always found I couldn't play the game without some of them. Though I see that party HP/MP is visible, which wasn't in the original game.

I think I'll just stick to WoW though, Legion comes out in a month.
                          A lot of Windower features have been put in the official game client now. Alliance HP/MP is now visible. Equipment sets have been added, so you can specify a whole set in a macro. We are up to around 10 inventory bags of 80 slots each. They still update every month. 2015 had the Rhapsodies expansion.
                          http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
                          http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
                          http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
                          My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

You probably don't know me, but I still lurk around these here parts from time to time...
                            "OH NO! A BOURGEOIS BIG-BOLLOCKED BOILER!!!!! THATS ALL I NEED", Conker The Squirrel, 2001
                            www.raspberrypi.org
                            Oi may be from the West Coutry but i'm not a hobbit, a pirate or a farmer me old shagger

Comment

I come back once in a while to make sure forum is up... ah, and THAN just this morning I get notification the forum maybe hacked -.- i just ran bunch of updates on vbulletin software just now. Hopefully nothing is broke?
                              Good to know people are still around here!

Just wondering Is there FFXI Discord channel made? I find Discord pretty cool for the games I currently play to keep in touch quicker. Not sure if there would be any use for it for FFXI though

Comment

I check in every so often to see if anyone has popped back in. Been a long few months, out of the country without a PC. Have a few of you on facebook, which I also rarely check anymore. Nice to see some of you still around.

Still holdin' out for an offline Vana'diel game, man.

Comment

Working...
                                X