Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "300" Spartans.... wtf?

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?name=m...704&vid=136403

Seriously, I admire the history of spartans. They were hoplites in heavy bronze armors. But this movie dress them up like Conan the babarian.... That's just wrong.

I think those little Romans in the Night at the Museum looks better than these guys.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Re: "300" Spartans.... wtf?

Are you just now hearing about this one? >.>

The art style is all based off of the graphic novel

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Leave it to Hollywood to screw anything up.

I mean, how can you screw up The Dukes of Hazzard? Its not a complicated TV show to write a movie about. But just look how much they screwed that up. Willie Nelson as Uncle Jessie? Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg?

After that, screwing up something historical like the spartans doesn't come as a surprise, they couldn't even get stuff from 20 years ago right.

Comment

It's not based on history. It's based on Frank Miller's Graphic Novel. Don't go into the theater expecting Gates of Fire.

If you want a historically accurate representation of the battle of Thermopolae, you probably want to look somewhere else.

I'm totally going to check it out though.

Comment

I wouldn't really take much offense to it. It's simply the interpretation of Frank Miller for his work.

There are all sorts of weird mutant people and mythical creatures in it, so I wouldn't take it too seriously. God of War's Kratos is pretty similar.
          PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
          Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
          WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
          Currently Playing:
          FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

I just hope I like it. I hated Sin City. Seriously. Hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master View Post
              I wouldn't really take much offense to it. It's simply the interpretation of Frank Miller for his work.
              Well, yeah, its fiction, not historical... still, they could have called the "Spartans" something else given the setting.

Comment

I plan on seeing it. Hopefully it will be entertaining.
                If you're looking for a more historically accurate account (noting that even the story itself is probably loosely based off history at best), History Channel is doing a show about it Thursday night. I'm definately planning on dvr'ing that one.
                I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  Well, yeah, its fiction, not historical... still, they could have called the "Spartans" something else given the setting.
                  Well it's still about the Spartans and the Battle of Thermopylae. It's just exaggerated. There were 300 Spartans but they were joined by 700 Thespians. And there were more than 1,000,000 in the Persian force.
                  PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                  Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                  WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                  Currently Playing:
                  FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master View Post
                    God of War's Kratos is pretty similar.
                    ZOMG blasphemy, you are going to hell when you die! Kratos is the true god of war, the greeks got it all wrong, I even saw how he killed Hades.

... what?
                    sigpic
                    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Lol. The opening scene of the guy showing his six pack is a bit much. I can see the Conan reference. Or maybe Masters of the Universe (Dolph Lundren *shudders*)?

Omgwtfbbqkitten: Forget twenty years, try sevon or eight. Remember ABC's "The Path to 9/11." The people depicted are still alive. They could have gone for accuracy, but no.

Title: Sergeant Major
                      SAM75, RNG75, PUP75, PLD60, My NPC65
                      Bastok Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Windurst Rank 10
                      Missions: Completed/Zilart Completed/CoP Completed/ToAU: Playing the Part-Sergeant Major
                      Midgardsormr|Cactuar (MNK51)

Comment

I'm going to see it and hopefully enjoy it. I also have the 1960's movie "The 300 Spartans" so if I want to see a movie a little more accurate. But really I don't care, I just want to see people ripped in half while roaring.

Comment

I've heard it's pretty good (I'll be going this weekend), but there are some completely unnecessary slurs and stereotypes in it as well. I'm still going to watch it though.

Comment

Anyone else notice how the Iranians are claiming this is a smear campaign to rally hatred against the persians/iranians that was pushed by the administration? I can understand taking slight offense, but they're blowing it a little out of proportion (sp).
                            Twilightrose- THF/49 WAR/24 WHM/53 BLM/32 RNG/15 BST/25 NIN/27

Comment

Originally posted by DieselBoy09 View Post
                              Anyone else notice how the Iranians are claiming this is a smear campaign to rally hatred against the persians/iranians that was pushed by the administration? I can understand taking slight offense, but they're blowing it a little out of proportion (sp).
                              There is always someone upset when a movie is made. I'ld have to agree Iran has taken it to an extreame of sillyness though. At lest this movie looks like it will be entertaining even if it forgets about the Spartans allies that fought along side them.

Comment

Working...
                              X