Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postal Service Vehicles: US vs. UK

I know, I know... Strange subject.

I was riding home from work today and I saw a vehicle used by the US Postal Service to deliver mail. In the US, many postal service vehicles are different than regular cars you find on the road. As in, the steering wheel is on the right side of the vehicle, rather than the normal left. They do this so that it is easier for the postal carrier to put mail in the roadside mailboxes on the right side of the road. It's as if we are using UK vehicles to deliver US mail. I know not really, but I think you know what I mean.

I have a question for all of you people from the other side of the road. Does this happen in your country? You know, UK drives on the left side of the road with the steering wheel on the right. Do your postal vehicles have steering wheels on the left side? I would think so, as it would make it easier to deliver to roadside mailboxes.

Perhaps I'm totally wrong and UK postal service does things in a different way.
    Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
    I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Re: Postal Service Vehicles: US vs. UK

Originally posted by Haggai View Post
    I know, I know... Strange subject.

I was riding home from work today and I saw a vehicle used by the US Postal Service to deliver mail. In the US, many postal service vehicles are different than regular cars you find on the road. As in, the steering wheel is on the right side of the vehicle, rather than the normal left. They do this so that it is easier for the postal carrier to put mail in the roadside mailboxes on the right side of the road. It's as if we are using UK vehicles to deliver US mail. I know not really, but I think you know what I mean.

I have a question for all of you people from the other side of the road. Does this happen in your country? You know, UK drives on the left side of the road with the steering wheel on the right. Do your postal vehicles have steering wheels on the left side? I would think so, as it would make it easier to deliver to roadside mailboxes.

Perhaps I'm totally wrong and UK postal service does things in a different way.
    Exact same thing in Sweden, to make the work easier for the mailman the drivers seat is on the right side of the vehicle for easier reach of the mailboxes they have to deliver to.
    Keep in mind, sig might be outdated I just update it a few times per week.
    Signature with the usual levels and obtained stuff etc. . .

Comment

We drive on the left side of the road and all the Royal Mail Vans/Couriers etc all have right hand drive. At least me or any of my mates I just asked have never seen different. UK btw.
      75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
      Woodworking 91.9+2
      ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Originally posted by Aeolus View Post
        We drive on the left side of the road and all the Royal Mail Vans/Couriers etc all have right hand drive. At least me or any of my mates I just asked have never seen different. UK btw.
        No wonder I've never seen you on. Try getting up early in the morning and logging in and I might see you.

Comment

I got on at 10am this morning, guess it wasnt early enough ): I always search to see if your on tho xD
          75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
          Woodworking 91.9+2
          ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

A strange question indeed, even stranger I will post this picture for you! (google has links to everything!! this one is from a post van enthusiast site, hmmmm )

(the things I do for people......)

Originally posted by Haggai View Post
            I have a question for all of you people from the other side of the road.
            You mean the proper side of the road!!

what you also need to consider is that most houses int eh Uk do not have a mail box at teh end of their drive so any deliveries has to be done at the front door.

Originally posted by Aeolus View Post
            I got on at 10am this morning, guess it wasnt early enough ): I always search to see if your on tho xD
            You Lazy *%$& some of us have to work you know and get up at 6am!!
            Last edited by Jarre; 09-28-2006, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X