Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Premier Site Summit . . . OR, Why Has Not Anybody Made a Thread On This Yet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Premier Site Summit . . . OR, Why Has Not Anybody Made a Thread On This Yet?

Originally posted by Feba View Post
    Still, given that it's in an open place, it should be pretty clear that you can swap out members as needed.
    This is true, but I'd be hard pressed to find a linkshell with enough manpower to swap people in and out for 18 hours.

And I never did say that I had any intention of fighting AV. I never truly cared about downing him in the first place.

What BP says is true. Most people lost interest. Read BG, people just don't fucking care anymore. They do, to some extent, but they're not holding their breath because they know it's just not worth it anymore.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

• Re: 2008 Premier Site Summit . . . OR, Why Has Not Anybody Made a Thread On This Yet?

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
      What BP says is true. Most people lost interest.
      Your point? AV is clearly not for most people.

I lost interest in playing FFXI itself. Does that make the game bad? Of-fucking-course not.

Comment

Really Feba, at this point there are less than a handful of people who really truly want to figure out and defeat AV. And I bet across all servers there's not enough people who still care to actually take him out. Hell, even now, it takes the few "AV Nuts" weeks to find enough people to drag along to try to kill the damn thing.
        sigpic

Comment

Really Feba, at this point there are less than a handful of people who really truly want to figure out and defeat AV.
          and again, your point? As has already been established, people agree it's not worth it.

Why not let those that want to do it do it?

Comment

Well then they can, but when they start bugging me to come help that's when I object. So that way everyone can be happy.

I still think it's an insanely stupid mob, but I'm not losing sleep over it.
            sigpic

Comment

Your point? AV is clearly not for most people.

I lost interest in playing FFXI itself. Does that make the game bad? Of-fucking-course not.
              No, it doesn't make the game bad at all.

However, if 75% of the game's subscribers just said "to hell with this," and quit, I think it could be a good indicator of something being wrong.

Kind of like the way people reacted when they realized that--even knowing Virtue's weakness--the fight could still take upward 18 hours.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm the fucking last person to automatically conclude that a majority consensus equals fact, and I realize that H.A.L. 9000-Edition computer brain of yours processes concepts without the interference of human emotions, but I don't think the collective bullshit flags that went up were very far off the mark.

BlueGartr is full of endgame hard-asses who will bot, pos-hack, sell their children, and camp hours on end for shit that is mostly trivial, and I think most all of them agreed to say "bitch please" when they heard the truth about Virtue. There is something very wrong about expecting people decipher an incredibly vague video, only to hope to test the theory on a mob that may or may not spawn after an hour long fight, and after another ~18 hour trial rotating people in and out on shifts as though you were at work, and then hope some more that you get a reward worth taking home. Even that is leaving out the totally contradictory nature, flying completely in the face of the cautionary disclaimer the developers(or maybe not the developers, but the administrative heads), put in the POL window. All Absolute Virtue stands for is a rather mean-spirited contradiction, saying "we've got you hooked like crack fiends, and you'll jump through whatever hoops we tell you, tools!"

I see where you are coming from, but there is nothing about that fight that is even remotely right. It's very existence mocks some of the previously more extreme elements of the game(relic weapons, to name one).

I'm not sure what the developers had in mind with that one, and maybe it's just a Japanese obsession with gaming or dedication I will never understand, but whatever they intended with Virtue failed to entice or remotely interest the player base, and thus failed conceptually.
              Last edited by BurningPanther; 08-01-2008, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BurningPanther View Post
                However, if 75% of the game's subscribers just said "to hell with this," and quit, I think it could be a good indicator of something being wrong.

Kind of like the way people reacted when they realized that--even knowing Virtue's weakness--the fight could still take upward 18 hours.
                Unless it was made for the 25% very hard core and not the general population. In which case it hit the mark just fine.

I think most all of them agreed to say "bitch please" when they heard the truth about Virtue.
                and in BlueGartr form, once they're finished bitching a number of them will go and do it anyway, lording it over the heads of everyone who won't.

It's very existence mocks some of the previously more extreme elements of the game(relic weapons, to name one).
                No, it's the developers creating something over the top because the previous extremes just weren't enough for a portion of the player base.

AV is ONE MOB. It was made for ONE SECTION of FFXI's player base. The people complaingin are not that group.Complain all you want about it, how horrible it is, how unfair it is. You are not it's target audience.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

There should be a universal posting guideline that goes along the lines of:

Only post an opinion on a subject based on:

a) how it affects you; or
                  b) your own personal experience.

Also, don't think for a second anyone wants you to be Devil's Advocate or be a shining example of political correctness. If you want to start a crusade go and recapture Jerusalem.

Half the threads on these forums would suddenly half in size.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard
                    Half the threads on the internet would suddenly half in size.
                    Hay I upgraded your post.

Meh.
                    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Once again, Ziero, you're making assumptions based on what we know about AV.

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT AV IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE WAY TO KILL HIM.
                      I'm sorry, but after three years of trying and absolutely no progress made, he's still nearly impossible to kill. When the trick is discovered and he's taken out regularly then I'll change my tune, but until then he is currently near impossible to kill.

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                      1 in a 10,000 maybe. Everyone else who is honest about it wants something challenging enough to allow them to wave their e-peens with the kill title while easy enough to allow them more than a fair chance at obtaining "must have drop #4".
                      Why does it matter why they want to fight it? As long as they want to, it's there for them. Whether it's for the thrill of the kill, to "gloat" about their achievement or to get a new shiney, people have their reasons for wanting to kill him. And as long as even a small percentage of people are willing to attempt him, then he serves his purpose.

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
                      I feel for the people who spent their money on shit like sports memorabilia or collector's items, etc. I'd say Harleys but I'm afraid of my non-video gaming grandmother. One who's been exposed to GTA cannot be worth crossing.

...anyway, looking at other people's lives I occasionally think "Wow. Look at all the time they're spending, getting involved in everything and never relaxing for a minute. Look at all the money they've spent on exercise equipment and lawn gnomes. Look at all those excessive matching coffee tables. Think of how many good video games they could be through."
                      I personally buy more toys and comics then video games, infact the last game I remember buying was Okami. And I would personally have it no other way!

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                      There's a line between having fun with a hobby and simply wasting hours of your life to at a blatantly stupid/excessive goal. Comparing how much game time you have overall to say spending 10 hours fighting AV isn't the same thing at all;

One is a measurement of how much time you've invested into the game as a whole over a long period of time. The other is an arbitrary, sadistic event spewed forth from the Dev Team's bowels and in all seriousness a total f'ing waste of time (though this is subject to opinion, would you rather spend maybe 30-120 minutes having some fun and maybe accomplish a few small goals, or blow pretty well your entire day killing one "epic" monster. Hmm...)
                      So spending a single day every few weeks trying to kill one mob is suddenly wasting your life? There are a lot of players in this game who don't have any "small goals" left. People who have been playing for years, leveled all the jobs, did all the missions, got all the gear and they're looking for the next big thing. With mobs like AV they can honestly say there's something left undone and have a major goal still left to achieve. And who's to say they're not having fun trying to kill this one epic monster? I know I'd be ecstatic if I was one of the many who were there when AV goes down fairly for the first time.

I don't want to spend 18 hours on one mob. I really don't.

And the ultimate irony in all this is that message that comes up before you hit Play. "Don't forget your family, your friends, your work, or your school." ORLY? Then why the hell do you want us to spend 18 hours on AV?

This is true, but I'd be hard pressed to find a linkshell with enough manpower to swap people in and out for 18 hours.
                      If you have no intention of ever even wanting to fight AV, why do you care he's there? How does it hurt you that there's a near impossible mob in this game? If people ask you to go, just say no. Eventually, they'll stop asking. And if they don't, tell them flat out you have no interest in AV.

And as I said before, you can easily spend an entire day playing this game...and then not log on for a week. That message does not contradict anything because it's not single events like AV it's talking about. It's talking about people who do nothing but play this game, which they'll do with AV or not. How many posts on just this site alone have had people talking about FFXI ruining their lives and taking over? Now how many of them could even get to AV, let alone spent all of their free time fighting him? My guess would be zero.

And from my understanding, people usually form cross Linkshell alliances so it's not one shell, it's multiple shells fighting him. Or at least that's what was done when he was first added.

Also, don't think for a second anyone wants you to be Devil's Advocate or be a shining example of political correctness. If you want to start a crusade go and recapture Jerusalem.

It's my body, I'll post what I want! What evah *z snaps*
                      "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Indeed, you would stop posting about how AV is broken because you don't want to do the battle and the above post would not exist.

The world would be a much better place.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

(Yawn)
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                            Indeed, you would stop posting about how AV is broken because you don't want to do the battle and the above post would not exist.

The world would be a much better place.
                            The content of my posts would remain unchanged because I have access to Sea and am able to be part of an alliance attempting to down it and as such my views would still be relevant. Can you say the same? You need to lay off the inept attempts at sarcasm and work on logic a little.

Comment

Keep it up guys, this is a good read.
                              sigpic

Comment

The content of my posts would remain unchanged because I have access to Sea and am able to be part of an alliance attempting to down it and as such my views would still be relevant. Can you say the same? You need to lay off the inept attempts at sarcasm and work on logic a little.
                                Irrelevant. None of your arguments are based on access or even AV itself, but the simple fact that 18 hours is too long for everyone, and first hovered around your measure of someone else's life, dismissing anyone who disagreed with you as wrong.

To follow your argument to its logical conclusion, have you ever been in an AV fight? If not, you have no place to talk.

loose

Comment

Working...
                                X