X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OFFICIAL FORUM THREAD: 2006 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) discussions

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master
    If it is $200, then people should stop complaining about the PS3's price. Not to bash 360, I think it's a fine price at $400. However, a $400 360 plus the $200 HD-DVD addon makes a $600 Xbox 360...and that doesn't include the built-in wireless, +40 GB HDD space or free online gameplay....

Either way, I couldn't give a rat's booty about PS3's price. I think it's well worth it, even if it is very expensive for something to play videogames on. To be honest, I think that making games Blu-Ray only is Sony shooting themselves in the foot at this point. While it would be a sacrifice, I think it would have been a much better plan in the long run to offer a PS3 with a Blu-Ray Drive for $500-600, and a PS3 without a Blu-Ray drive for $300-400.
    That would be un-possible because developers would not make BR DVD games.

25gig of space and later 50gig. All of which will pass the economic power to BR/sony camp.

Well long term is, if Sony can convince enough people to switch over to BR, manufactures will ramp up production and sony can start lowering prices of PS3 to get all the stragglers who aren't paying for PS3.

As always consoles are made on the backs of first adopters, both on the consumer and developers.

I wouldn't mind having BR-R in 2yrs in my computer. DVD is great storage, but I can use 25gig storage mediums. HD is coming, trickling, but coming.

Comment

• Re: OFFICIAL FORUM THREAD: 2006 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) discussions

Originally posted by Kailea-D
      dont care if the PS3 can pleasure me at night...I would not pay 600 for it way to much same for 360 400-600 no thanks no way no how
      It can't. They dropped the rumble feature. No playing Rez on that.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

It's also 360's fault for PS3 price.

It bombed in JP, so sony accountants and project analyizers can say "We can save more money this way"

I bet you depending how fast they sell, they will drop PS3 prices amazing fast within the 1st 6months to 1yr.

Once BR parts gets cheaper, and I forgot to mention Cell(they are using Cell for more then PS3) much of it can be passed onto the consumer.

This is interesting though since the 360 can't get much cheaper, not as much as PS3 anyway. DVD player is already lower then low, and their chip is custom made.

If PS3 can try to shave 300 in 2yrs in a given condition, 360 can only shave $100.

This is all assuming PS3 is a big hit, but not big enough to clean out 360. As long as Sony is not seeing critical mass yet, but good growth, it will continue to agressively push it.

Comment

I wont be buying one for myself for awhile. I have a daughter who's in private school and think that money will be better suited towards her tuition. With that said, I WILL buy 2 of them, Since I work part time in retail I can get my hands on one fairly easily. So I will buy 2 and sell them on E-Bay and put the proceeds towards Christmas,school,travel. Then about 3-4 months later I'll actually buy my unit.
          the first 2 weeks will be an ebayers dream come true.
          It's Official Promathia Hates me....
          それは公式である,プロマシア は私を憎む。
          Trielは博雅なる大召喚士
          A Summoners Journey (The Live Journal) >>>> A Summoners Journey the Movie

BecomingThe Movie: The tale of the Journey of a Blue Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Caspian
            Oh, Microsoft accidentally slipped a price on the HD-DVD upgrade....200 bucks, which puts it right there next to ps3 in terms of price.
            That depends on how you look at it.. the 360 plays games on DVD-ROM. Looking at it from an all-around multimedia point of view, once the 360 is HD-movie capable, it has similar pricing.. but as far as a game machine goes, the PS3 still costs $100-300 more than the 360 does just to play the games. There are pros and cons to this fact that were argued long ago, but DVD seems to be faring just fine for the time being.

As far as the PS3's apparant techincal prowess is concerned, I don't think it's nearly significant enough to justify spending the extra cash on at launch for me, if it will ever be so apparant that any of us should even care.

But let's not get into bickering over which system is "better" than the other, the software is the reason we buy these systems, and there tends to be disagreeance over such issues anyway.

I'll be the proud owner of all three next generation consoles eventually, so I'd rather not anyone try and push me into any camp; all I'm saying is that the PS3 costs more than I'd like it to, and I can't believe they'd mind having such a non-competitive pricing with Microsoft.

Oh.. and the PS3 controller, it's no fun that there isn't any rumble, but that's what happens when you get sued and lose.. or wait, what was their excuse again? It will ruin the gyroscopic controls? Interesting point, the Nintendo booth is right next door, they seem to have figured it out..

Comment

Why why WHY!?!

I was pretty stoked when I heard Shadowrun was coming to the 360...
              Shadowrun is a fun Pen and Paper...
              And, the game installment on the Sega Genesis was awesome...

It's going to be another FPS...
              How lame...
              =|

|Alchemy: 3|Cooking: 3|Smithing: 1|Fishing: 1|
              ====================

Comment

Originally posted by MaNiAk21
                That depends on how you look at it.. the 360 plays games on DVD-ROM. Looking at it from an all-around multimedia point of view, once the 360 is HD-movie capable, it has similar pricing.. but as far as a game machine goes, the PS3 still costs $100-300 more than the 360 does just to play the games. There are pros and cons to this fact that were argued long ago, but DVD seems to be faring just fine for the time being.

As far as the PS3's apparant techincal prowess is concerned, I don't think it's nearly significant enough to justify spending the extra cash on at launch for me, if it will ever be so apparant that any of us should even care.

But let's not get into bickering over which system is "better" than the other, the software is the reason we buy these systems, and there tends to be disagreeance over such issues anyway.

I'll be the proud owner of all three next generation consoles eventually, so I'd rather not anyone try and push me into any camp; all I'm saying is that the PS3 costs more than I'd like it to, and I can't believe they'd mind having such a non-competitive pricing with Microsoft.

Oh.. and the PS3 controller, it's no fun that there isn't any rumble, but that's what happens when you get sued and lose.. or wait, what was their excuse again? It will ruin the gyroscopic controls? Interesting point, the Nintendo booth is right next door, they seem to have figured it out..
                This has the DC arguement written all over it.

Who needed dvds, multi CDs were cheap and just as good. No one is going to use 4gigs of space!

It took 3 yrs for DVD to drop to CD prices, but it did.

Same with tech scavy-ness. Once it's release developers will find ways to make it worth it, if good marketing and avertising are on their side.

Some things like SD card reader and wifi can be thought as overboard, but I guess that's why sony choose to two teir it.

BR is the way to go, disk space is an ever increasing need, next to vram, and cpu power. Some people may dislike CSs, but CSs are great to have(both by the developer and consumer), and HD CS takes loads and loads of space. 1080p CS would take up half a DVD.

Team ninja was the first to voice it when they did DOA4. The trailer opening they showed was orginally in movie. It had to be reworked because they thought 360 was going to have HD-DVD but turned out to be DVD. They had to re program the opening into game graphics, which took extra effort to fit it into DVD.

Also for dual voices.

Lots of games had to change format, taken out, or just plain add discs due to storage.

Disgaea, and other nipponichi games were orginally CDs, but DVD for dual language support in USA.

And I bet many games decided to take out dual voice for other then license reasons.

Dual voice ffxiii...oooh.

Comment

@ Kuu
                  Good post...
                  Except...
                  1080 is integrative scan...not progressive.
                  =3

====================

Comment

Good post Serryl. But the i in 1080i stands for interlaced, not integrative
                    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Serryl
                      @ Kuu
                      Good post...
                      Except...
                      1080 is integrative scan...not progressive.
                      =3
                      PS3 will be 1080P, which is indeed pretty crazy stuff, once we see it in action.

Good points, as well, Kuu; that's why I said 'for the time being.' I am indeed aware of the way that things work out, but we'll all have to wait and see how things pan out.

The graphic capabilities of the 360 and PS3 provide for a cut-scene experience that is being rendered by the machine, I feel. No, not because I think that the machines are capable of rendering CS-quality graphics, but because they can certainly render something pretty enough to keep me satisfied.

Comment

@Task
                        Yeah...Something like that...
                        :ninja:

[Oh gawd. Too much Gaia :whee:]

PS3 will have 1080p?
                        Which means...what?
                        We'll have to wait until TVs [support] 1080p...

[edit-taken from MSN...my brother and I]
                        Kris says:
                        PS3 is going to support 1080[p]...

Kris says:
                        Wouldn't that mean that people will have to wait until TVs have 1080p in order to see what it's supposed to be like?

Big Mac says:
                        yup

Kris says:
                        Is that a long time off?

Kris says:
                        Because...that's lame for them to brag about something that is non-existant

Big Mac says:
                        i havent seen anyboday ssay they are making them so i would think so

Kris says:
                        Sony lost.

Big Mac says:
                        lol
                        Last edited by Serryl; 05-11-2006, 12:44 PM.

====================

Comment

Originally posted by MaNiAk21
                          PS3 will be 1080P, which is indeed pretty crazy stuff, once we see it in action.

Good points, as well, Kuu; that's why I said 'for the time being.' I am indeed aware of the way that things work out, but we'll all have to wait and see how things pan out.

The graphic capabilities of the 360 and PS3 provide for a cut-scene experience that is being rendered by the machine, I feel. No, not because I think that the machines are capable of rendering CS-quality graphics, but because they can certainly render something pretty enough to keep me satisfied.
                          CS/CG is not only prettier, but also in many cases cheaper, and easier to make.

When you program, CS ingame, you have to comform to the limits of the console(GPU and CPU) while keeping everything bug free. No clashing of pixels, no odd sync issues, delay, etc.

When you play a CG/Movie, everything is done. It's like "click play", back to game. (You can also overlay a CGmovie in the backround with gameplay in foreground ala ff8) Which might be a nice tool for future developers.

Finally it's cheaper. You can outsource the CG to freelancers/non programers. It doesn't have to be "Done" till the game is finish and beta tested.

People dislike CG most because of implimentation, and get it confused with technology in general. A game like Xenosaga(heavy CS) on BR would of had it's development time cut by a third.

Edit:
                          Heck, with japan so heavy with animation. It's dirt cheap to throw in anime CSs, for the price of a meal.

Comment

Serryl, actually new tv's are starting to carry 1080p. Its been around for less than a year, but its quickly being implemented into new hdtv's. Now, receivers that carry it? None so far, the Denon 5806x (probably be called 5806p) will be coming out soon, and they're adding another thousand to the price because of it. An extra 200 bucks to get 1080p for the ps3? Thats freaking cheap when you think about it. I understand that its not for everyone. But those will buy it, will likely not be disappointed in the slightest. If they follow through on the claims and this actually ends up being a console with a 10 year life span, then it is more than worth the 600 dollars. My tv won't even use the 1080p, but you can bet the next one I do get sure as hell will.
                            I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Anything about FFXI to care about?

Comment

Anyway.
                                Regardless of the Specs...
                                The software is where it really counts...
                                Especially seeing as how 2d games that have been out for 10+ years can still be rediculously fun...

MS made top of the line graphics without having to "up the anty" by about $100...
                                And without having to incorporate 1080 progressive scan.
                                Hell...I bet MS could implement 1080p...I bet they're even thinking about it now...
                                And...you know what? I won't have to spend $600 effing dollars just to get it.

====================

Comment

Working...
                                X