X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caspian
    replied
    Re: Computer Issues

Thanks guys, think I'll bite the bullet this weekend and get a new hdd to at least last me until I get around to ordering an ssd and upgrade to windows 7 or 8 (preferences?). Can always just use the new hdd for storage.

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

Originally posted by Caspian View Post
    Question 1: How would d/l'ing FFXIV and playing it way too much somehow cause an issue that would physically screw up my hdd?
    It wouldn't.
    Even if it was there would likely be other people experiencing the same issue and documenting it somewhere on the internet.
    Question 2: Would reloading windows fix it or do I need to just get a new hard drive? If I go hdd they're crazy cheap so its really not as big of a deal as I thought it would be before I looked and I can apparently even now got for ssd without breaking the bank.
    If it's a hardware issue then formatting won't do anything to fix it. Given the problems you've been getting I'm inclined to believe it's a hardware issue of some sort.
    Question 3: Will just replacing the drive fix this problem completely or is the culprit likely somewhere else and I'll be looking at major parts replacements in my immediate future?
    More than likely it will fix the issue, and even if it doesn't harddrives are cheap enough that springing for some extra storage space won't be a huge investment pitfall. I'd be curious to know if the sound errors you experience crop up anywhere else or if they are exclusively found while playing games. I once had weird ass sound issues that were somehow connected to issues with a video card. It's an extremely remote possibility that doesn't make any sense, but it is on the table and you should be aware that shit like that can happen.

chkdsk is initiated in windows and then run at boot time. The BIOS will likely have some utilities of its own which may or may not actually help to diagnose the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Caspian
    replied

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
    Can you scan disk from the utilities or chkdsk to see if their are bad sectors on the drive or corrupt files?
    Not sure, I tried booting it in safe mode and it got stuck on chkdsk.
    I'd do all that from Bios, yes?

Leave a comment:

• Jarre
    replied

Can you scan disk from the utilities or chkdsk to see if their are bad sectors on the drive or corrupt files?

Leave a comment:

• Caspian
    started a topic Computer Issues

Computer Issues

Got home last night to find my computer had restarted itself, gotten stuck and wanted a boot disk.
    History: About a week ago I noticed I'd randomly lose certain sounds whilst playing FFXIV. Usually while I was crafting or harvesting. Sometimes music, sometimes sound effects, other times I'm mount my chocobo and disappear until I dismounted. Usually it would fix itself, sometimes I'd have to zone for it to start working properly. Then everything would freeze up, I'd get a blue screen, and it would restart. Starting about 4 days ago it would tell me that there was an error on the hard disk and I needed to back everything up and replace it. I chose to ignore this prompt (partially because I'm lazy, partially because I'm broke, and partially because there really isn't anything on there that's all that important or can't be reloaded during the course of one evening). Anyway, I get home last night and it won't load windows at all. I'll get the windows loading screen for about a minute or two then it will just restart itself and end up saying I need a boot disk.
    Question 1: How would d/l'ing FFXIV and playing it way too much somehow cause an issue that would physically screw up my hdd?
    Question 2: Would reloading windows fix it or do I need to just get a new hard drive? If I go hdd they're crazy cheap so its really not as big of a deal as I thought it would be before I looked and I can apparently even now got for ssd without breaking the bank.
    Question 3: Will just replacing the drive fix this problem completely or is the culprit likely somewhere else and I'll be looking at major parts replacements in my immediate future?

If I go the ssd route, are any recommended over others? I'll probably eventually buy a backup hdd for storage but at the moment its not a real priority.
Working...
X