Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jarre
    replied
    Re: Yyg, Cid and Mal's Gaming PC Construction Thread (open discussion)

cant have windows 8 as cad software not compatiblle with it my pc is a barebones bundle I completed from Novatech and the one before that, their a good company getting a new monitor from them as well soon LG 24EA53VG 24 Inch IPS Panel HD LED Monitor | 24EA53VQ

Leave a comment:

• Firewind
    replied

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
    I was looking for a new Laptop for work which could also play FFXIV if I wanted to. Was looking at this one from Novatech in the UK. The Novatech Elite N1535
    Go for it. This is the only laptop I can find with the exact same specs, and the one you found costs less even when OS is factored in! Plus you can choose not to have Windows 8!

MSI GE60 0NC-622UK Gaming Laptop, 15.6" LED Intel I7-3630QM, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, NVIDIA GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 Graphics, Windows 8 - Black [GE60 0NC-622UK]

I can't see anything wrong with it and the reviews below contain a lot of good information.

Leave a comment:

• Malacite
    replied

It's honestly not THAT bad - if you're using a tablet.

But for a desktop? Hellz to the no.

Leave a comment:

• Yygdrasil
    replied

Yeah. Windows 8 can kiss my ass. No way in hell I'm using that wonky-ass OS or it's equally wonky UI.

Leave a comment:

• Malacite
    replied

Hmm, good to know, I think I'll swap that in for mine :O

Nothing in my new PC build is finalized yet (other than Windows 7 I mean, that's not changing regardless)

Leave a comment:

• Yygdrasil
    replied

^^

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

Plus a good case can last you through several builds.

Leave a comment:

• Yygdrasil
    replied

Yeah. Never again. The case is one thing I refuse to skimp on. I'm not going CRAZY, but my budget was 200 for that piece alone.

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

Yeah, after using that case I don't think I could ever go back to mid tower cases. The last mid tower case I owned had all sorts of overheating and air flow issues. I could not keep that thing under 70°C no matter what I did and it would spike up towards 80°C if I didn't dust it all out regularly.

Leave a comment:

• Yygdrasil
    replied

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
    I fully approve of your choice of case. It has served me remarkably well.
    I am addicted to organizing and hiding wires.

Also: Anything short of a full size case and you're just doin' it wrong. Mid cases never fit everything well... and frequently overheat on me due to restrictive airflow. This one just looks irresistibly functional and sexy all at the same time. I was originally looking at the NQ model until Newegg was all "Oh you like that, huh? Well then how about the upgrade? WHABAM!!!" and I was all "Oh snap".

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

I fully approve of your choice of case. It has served me remarkably well.

Leave a comment:

• Yygdrasil
    replied

Case $180
    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

HDD $100
    Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail - Newegg.com

SSD $100
    SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

Graphics Card $245
    EVGA SuperClocked 03G-P4-2666-KR GeForce GTX 660 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Power Supply $160
    COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Memory $70 (optional additional 8 gigs)
    CORSAIR XMS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M1A1600C11 - Newegg.com

Processor/Motherboard/Ram Bundle $383
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

$70 in Mail in Rebates (after I ensure that everything works perfectly and I don't need to do return exchanges)
    $170 in instant savings from discounts, deals and bundles
    Free Shipping

Total Cost: $1,200 and change ($1,130 after rebates)

Leave a comment:

• Jarre
    replied

I was looking for a new Laptop for work which could also play FFXIV if I wanted to. Was looking at this one from Novatech in the UK. The Novatech Elite N1535

Leave a comment:

• Yygdrasil
    replied

ok then. Today's project is to take the components I has chosen yesterday and tweak my selections based on your recommendations. Looks like I'm going for a 650-670 card, dropping it down to 750 watts for power supply (gold perhaps?) and settling for an i5 over i7 for purposes of cost+need/vanity+longevity. In the next 2 years or so I can swap out the Processor if I feel the need. As long as my mobo is still compatible, I'll be perfectly satisfied with that option.

Time to work.

- - - Updated - - -

God I love combo deals that include things I was already going to buy. Thank you for predicting my needs, Newegg. This is why I'm leaving Tiger Direct for you.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1291166

Leave a comment:

• Nandito
    replied

I'm trying to wonder if it's worth the jump to the 780 from my 670. Apparently it's said SLIing 670 would be my better bet, but I'd still be stuck with 2GB on a 1440p resolution. Plus, this particular card overclocks like crap. (Though I'm gonna give it another go at it. Maybe I did something wrong.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X