No announcement yet.

Joining the 21th century of PC gaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joining the 21th century of PC gaming.

Originally posted by Nandito View Post
    Well, I do like messing around on Photoshop, but really it was more for the whole "Having media player and Internet open on the other monitor while I game on the main one".

Eh, no biggie. With 8g of RAM, alt-tabbing will be no problem.

And it seems Newegg has that whole Black November thing going on now. Are their deals going to get better on the week of Black Friday, or has it already technically started for them?
    If you get another monitor, try to make sure it's the same or similar as your primary ... this means responsive times, resolution, size, etc ... it's buggy and quirky with two completely different monitors.

Comment

GAAAH! I can't decide.

So, disregarding my whole dual-monitor plan, I decided to go with either a 1080p 120hz TN monitor, this one, or a 1440p IPS monitor, this one.

It's a war zone! I can't get a straight answer. Yes, 120hz better for gaming, no 1440p and IPS is better, viewing angles, ghosting, blah blah blah. It's going to have to come down to me buying both just to compare side-by-side.

But that won't happen... so, need more opinions. Which would you pick?
      Originally posted by Yygdrasil
      Originally posted by Nandito
      Ponies.

Duh.
      You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

Can't help you there without actually seeing them personally. And also because I play on a 1080p 42" LCD TV @60Hz and I love it. I just can't stand small monitors (below 32") anymore and I rarely noticed any difference between 120Hz and 60Hz so I didn't bother spending extra for it. <_<;

- - - Updated - - -

PS > Just make sure they don't have dead pixels. And that they don't have ghosting or black-ish spots around bright objects under high contrast conditions (like a starry sky) as many LED back-lit monitors seem to have.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Having just bought this IPS monitor based on reviews from prad.de (they actually bother to measure input lag), I can tell you to fuck TN in the ass and never go back.
          PS > Just make sure they don't have dead pixels.
          "Every pixel on a TN panel is a bad pixel." (This isn't addressed at you Ray, I wouldn't tell anyone to ditch a monitor they already own, but if you're in the market for a new one, definitely go IPS.)

Comment

The Dell 20" LCD I have is pretty good and have been working very well for me. I got it for like $300 several years ago. Now, it's max rez is at 1600x900 and it's not an HD receiver, but for most other things it does its job well. Very low input response as well, which is a must for online games, since lags here and there add up quickly.

I would highly recommend purchasing a monitor based on your needs but also whether or not they will produce eye strain. I know, most people don't really care about this aspect, but there are many factors that go into eye strain, and if you're going to go the extra mile to research quality, input lag and all the rest, take that extra step and make sure you get a monitor that was properly designed to make sure you don't go blind in a few months (i.e., they're cheap for a reason)

Comment

With aesthetics in mind, I wouldn't bother with 120hz. A higher resolution will look better, so long as the game supports it.

Comment

Seems like IPS kept outweighing the 120hz, so I got the one I mentioned above.

Jesus Christ this thing is huge. Might as well be a TV.

Now, to figure out how to calibrate the colors...
                Originally posted by Yygdrasil
                Originally posted by Nandito
                Ponies.

Duh.
                You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

Working...
                X