Deal on new PC: $100 for $700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deal on new PC: $100 for $700

You have to agree to their terms of sale, and it basically says they can cancel for whatever reason they see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
      Huh. I thought that vendors are obligated to honor erroneous prices?
      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
      Reiko Takahashi
      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

So, as an apology, they sent everybody who attempted to exploit their pricing error a $200 coupon code. It feels weird being rewarded for doing something morally questionable, but whatever. The important thing is that I'm always looking for new PC stuff. Long story short, they only sell expensive crap so I bought a printer, something I'm outright lacking. I wanted a monitor, but their 27" is $400, with a 3mil:1 contrast ratio and 5ms response time. My current AOC is 3ms response time and 20mil:1 contrast ratio, although it's only 23". The 27" AOC runs with the same specs, but it's only $250. I can't account for the price disparity in any way other than lolHP.

Comment

So basically nothing really happened and this was all a hoax.

Moving on.
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
            Huh. I thought that vendors are obligated to honor erroneous prices?
            At one point, yes, but people wised up and hired lawyers. It was considered at one point, that transactions on the internet was not legally binding, but a SC decision and subsequent legislation a decade ago changed all that. So now all vendors hire lawyers (or just copy and paste legal contracts from other people) If you're legally savvy enough, however, you can catch a merchant with his/her pants down and still stiff them big time. You'd have to have enough money to make it work, however, since you need to retain counsel (or you could be a lawyer)

Comment

That is assuming you live in the US. Not everyone lives in a country with the same laws.
              Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
              Reiko Takahashi
              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

This same thing happened while I was deployed. HP had an $800 laptop listed for $25. I bought 2 of them but the order was cancelled.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                  That is assuming you live in the US. Not everyone lives in a country with the same laws.
                  When the internet started, it originated in America. You had to register domain names through American companies. This was before ICANN (or before ICANN actually got their act together) Even when the rest of the world started to get on, majority of the "mature" sites in the year 2000 was based in the US on American servers. So of course laws created in the US became templates for the rest of the world when they started to craft their own legislations.

Comment

Working...
                  X