Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Fan stops spinning

Hello

Recently when i boot up my computer there is like a 50/50 chance that the CPU fan will start running (sometimes it spins and sometimes it doesn't). This usually lead to this CPU over temperature message. I search online a bit and people said to unplug the cord to the motherboard and just directly plug it into the power supply. I did that and now the CPU fan seems to be booting pretty consistently except I now keep getting this "CPU Fan" error and it tells me to hit F1 to continue. Well I'm using Core Temp to monitor my CPU temperatures and they seem to hold pretty steady in the upper 30s and lower 40s. However, I'm wondering if the "CPU Fan" error will hurt my computer. Also since the plugin for the motherboard seems to have died does this mean I can expect my motherboard to die pretty soon? Thanks for any help.

Re: CPU Fan stops spinning

My guess is the CPU fan error message is just indicating that there's nothing plugged into the dedicated CPU fan slot on your motherboard anymore and your BIOS is panicking accordingly. If your temps are still good and the fan is in working order now I wouldn't stress over it too much.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

What kind of fan are you using, with what kind of cooler? What kind of motherboard?

Comment

The fan is probably dying, when that happens it starts getting stuck from time to time and can't spin. So you'll probably have to replace it or the entire heatsink depending on the type of fan.

Otherwise it could be that is isn't plugged properly, but the chances of that connection unplugging somehow are very slim.

- - - Updated - - -

PS > DO NOT use you tour computer with the CPU fan down. You'll only accomplish to burn your CPU if the automatic protection can't save it.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Accordingly to your situation Zempten, cidbahamut is correct.

As for your problems, there are two possibilities:

1. The dedicated CPU Fan power connection is defective.
          2. The CPU Fan is on its last leg.

While the second problem can easily be remedied by purchasing a replacement fan, the first isn't possible to have repaired. If you start to notice more and more things on your motherboard failing, ceasing to function correctly or generating a lot of errors, then it's about time to buy a new motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
            PS > DO NOT use you tour computer with the CPU fan down. You'll only accomplish to burn your CPU if the automatic protection can't save it.
            Bolded for emphasis and agreement. NEVER run your CPU with the fan off. It will fry hardcore in very, very little time.

Icemage

Comment

I'm using a rampage 3 gene motherboard and the fan is a thermaltake CLP0532.

Any fan recommendations? thanks alot for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by Zempten View Post
                I'm using a rampage 3 gene motherboard and the fan is a thermaltake CLP0532.

Any fan recommendations? thanks alot for the advice
                Fans are fans, more or less. If you're going to replace it, get something with the same general physical form factor so that you don't have accidental problems with obstructing wires or other parts. Unless you're overclocking, most CPU fans will get the job done for you, and they're all generally cheap enough to where you can afford to spend just a bit extra to be sure you get something quality. Then again, if you're overclocking and have to ask what to do about a malfunction fan, I'd have to question your sanity.

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                X