Files from one computer to another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files from one computer to another?

Hey all, I got a new PC today, and was wondering if I am able to get the files from my old laptop to this puter without a USB drive?

I was hoping to send all my Videos, Pics, Music, WoW Settings and any FFXI folders I can over.

I have Googled it, but I got confused :S

(Sorry if this is wrong place to post this)

Re: Files from one computer to another?

Beleive me it will be easier via usb key that way no hidden settings that can screw stuff up could be ported over.

Comment

Damn I was afraid that was gunna get said, I need to buy one then lol

Comment

Or you could jsut set your old HD to secondary, stick it in your new machine and drag them accross, then format the old drive and use as extra storage, thats what I did with my old computer. Though i built my computer so had no warrentees that could be voided.

Comment

Remove harddrive from old PC.
          Install harddrive in new PC.
          Profit.

That or invest in an external drive. There's no quick and easy way to transfer several GB of data without using the two options above. At least not that I'm aware of.
          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
          Name: Drjones
          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Am I able to take the HD out of my Laptop and use it in the computer?

Comment

I was mostly being facetious, but yes it can be done. Laptops don't use the same kinds of harddrives that desktops do, so it'll take more than just dropping it in.

If you aren't comfortable working in the innards of your computer, an external harddrive is your best bet.
              Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
              Name: Drjones
              Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Think I will just buy a USB or Ex HD, I don't really fancy breaking my new puter on the first day of having it xD

Thanks for the helps guys ^^

Comment

If your two PCs are on the same network (via a router) they "should" be able to see one another and share files that way, unless one is running WinXP and the other is running Win7 or something (huuuge headaches if this is the case).

Icemage

Comment

Yeah they are on the same network =) Cool, will have a gander thankies ^^

Comment

I recommend a program named TeraCopy for transferring files over the network if you find it too slow--I don't notice a huge difference in terms of hard drive to hard drive copy, but I do notice better performance in regards to network transfers.

Comment

I've managed to get the small files through the network, leaving the films etc for another day xD

Btw, don't know where to ask this, so I'ma leave it here, is there a way to make the menu in ffxi bigger? My screen size is 1920x1080, the game is fine, just the menus are really tiny

Comment

Originally posted by leasious View Post
                          I've managed to get the small files through the network, leaving the films etc for another day xD

Btw, don't know where to ask this, so I'ma leave it here, is there a way to make the menu in ffxi bigger? My screen size is 1920x1080, the game is fine, just the menus are really tiny
                          From what i've read, you can't change the menu sizes or macro size/position but you can use custom fonts through some .dat swaps

Comment

You can change the menu sizes by changing the menu overlay resolution in the FF XI Configuration Utility. There are three separate resolutions to specify... I can't remember what they specifically all are for but if you want to make things bigger you need to lower the resolution. Generally when I was playing FF XI on my TV and I had the same problem I aimed to make the menu overlay resolution about half the other two. Make the other two as high as possible (so things look pretty). Just try and make the menu resolution be proportionate to the rest i.e. 1/2 in both aspects or you might have to play with it a bit to make sure part of the menu isn't getting cut off the screen etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Oniwabanshu View Post
                              From what i've read, you can't change the menu sizes or macro size/position but you can use custom fonts through some .dat swaps

Ahh sweet =) Gunna try that

@Geo, I tried that and the Menu went all fuzzy and hard to read :/

Comment

Working...
                              X