Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on making an arcade "cabinet"

test

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Sorry, seems like the main post was lost.. please repost if neccessary

Re: Tips on making an arcade "cabinet"

ouchies, oh well, nothing really lost.

I was just looking for tips and tricks to building an arcade cabinet, I plan on making at least the front part of this one.......

......but not sure if I want to make the back half with the screen, or just make it to where I can plug it in as a whole to the TV, and us my 46" LCD
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Have never built one but I've done some research on it. Here's an idea you might want to consider: Docs Modular MAME - Fully Modular Arcade Control Panel Basically the controllers can be swapped out. Instead of soldering the cables from the joystick/buttons directly to the keyboard encoder, you use cat-5 (ethernet) cables and build the cabinet such that you can easily swap the controls out. That way if you ever want to use a different button layout, a trackball, a steering wheel or a better stick, you can do so without ruining your old cabinet or building a new one. Cat-5 cables are basically 4 twisted pairs of wires, there's nothing special about it from a physical standpoint; it's just a convenient interface, both because of how easy it is to get LAN cables and because 2 LAN cables = 16 wires, and that's enough for the joystick, 6 gameplay buttons, Start and Insert Coin.
      Last edited by Armando; 12-11-2010, 08:52 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

woh, thats come crafty stuff right there, never though of doing that. I will look into this idea as well, also was planning on making a port on the back of the controller interface, to allow it to be connected to a PS3 (all my fighters are on PS3) or if I make the whole cabinet, I will add a way for me to just plug an HDMI cable into the side of it for easy PS3 hookup-ness

Still a bit up in the air if I want to maker a full cabinet or just the controls.

Comment

oh right, there's lot of arcade cabinet building books out there. I went to my near by arcade down the street and basically copied their layout (Arcade Infinity, AI).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWWModtk_Vo]YouTube - [HQ] PiNG's PS3 Setup as of May 2009 (Slide)[/ame]

Last one I made was last year, parts are easily obtainable online, I highly suggest lizardlick (Lizard Lick Amusements) parts, which are original, lots of knock offs on ebay though. But it didn't fail to work (but misleading wiring color), as I used some of the ebay ones to make a portable one.

Comment

PING... I love you ;p

thanks for the info, I really want to try and finish my cabinet before Marval vs Capcom 3 comes out, if I can do that, my Boss at Gamestop wants me to bring it for a Tournament he will hold for the midnight opening ( will give my machine the work out it needs for a good test.)

Comment

No problem!
              I'm also waiting for MVC3 my self.

Here's still pics for you :
              Picasa Web Albums - PiNG - New Arcade St...

also, I found the metal plating part (which was about $100) was unnecssary, as there are lots of templates, and You can easily make exact hole setup, so the button stay in snug,
              Joystick Controller - Panel Layout

Also, be very certain about the button to joystick distance, once I made one that's so far apart, it was hard for other people to get used to it , i liked it because i can play lazily with far distance

Comment

mmm know anything about the PS3 converter for the Ipac? I was thinking of using that, and then the converter so that I can use it both on PC and PS3 (need to do more research on the board you are using)

if I end up making the full cabinet, I will have an HDMI and PS/2 plug on the side of the cabinet to hook the PS3 up to, and everything else will be internal connections.

Comment

I'm using the PS3 controller, go here Playstation 3 controller(Dualshcok 3 or Sixaxis) driver for windows | MotioninJoy there's PC drivers for PS3 controller, you can use to play on CPS2/mame/emulators PC

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Best part is, now it's digitally signed and useable on Windows xp/vista/7 32 and 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by PiNG View Post
                    I'm using the PS3 controller, go here Playstation 3 controller(Dualshcok 3 or Sixaxis) driver for windows | MotioninJoy there's PC drivers for PS3 controller, you can use to play on CPS2/mame/emulators PC

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Best part is, now it's digitally signed and useable on Windows xp/vista/7 32 and 64bit
                    woh wait its digitally signed now? well I be damned ;p Thanks will look at this as well, back to my blue prints for now though (some what boring part ;p)

Comment

Working...
                    X