Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genius hacks PS3. What does the mean for us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genius hacks PS3. What does the mean for us?

So, kind of old news since George Hotz, or Geohot, hacked the PS3 on 1/26/10, but I'm wondering what does this mean for us PS3 users? It sounds like he has found a way to get other games, that aren't made for the PS3 playable on the PS3. But, I'm guessing theres more to it... He's also the guys that hacked the iphone. Not sure what that means either...

On the PlayStation 3
    75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
    RANK 10 Bastok
    CoP: Done
    ZM: Done
    ToA: Done
    Assault rank: Captain
    Campaign Medal: Medals
    Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
    This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Re: Genius hacks PS3. What does the mean for us?

what do you mean get games not for ps3 playable on it? Like Xbox 360 games playable on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ashrick View Post
      what do you mean get games not for ps3 playable on it? Like Xbox 360 games playable on it?

That's kind of what it sounded like, but I'm not sure. Hence me creating this thread. I'm not a techno-nerd, but I know alot of people on these forums are... And techno-nerd is a compliment btw, I wish I was one...
      75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
      RANK 10 Bastok
      CoP: Done
      ZM: Done
      ToA: Done
      Assault rank: Captain
      Campaign Medal: Medals
      Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
      This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

It might allow homebrew apps and other OS's, if drivers for all the components are ever written. No you won't be running Halo on your PS3.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
          It might allow homebrew apps and other OS's, if drivers for all the components are ever written. No you won't be running Halo on your PS3.
          If he did hack it so that you can play Xbox 360 games on it, I would like that... Won't have to buy the Xbox for the few good games on the Xbox that I want to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
            If he did hack it so that you can play Xbox 360 games on it, I would like that... Won't have to buy the Xbox for the few good games on the Xbox that I want to play.
            You think MS is going to port the 360's OS and libraries to the PS3? 360 games aren't magically going to know how to work with the PS3's hardware just because someone figured out how to get a different kernel working on it.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

yikes technical terms!

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
                Name an XBox 360 exclusive that doesn't rely entirely on XBL for its gameplay value. I don't think this is going to help anyone in any way aside from the geeks that want their PS3 to run Ubuntu or some bullshit because the 6 partitioned PCs they have in the same room as the PS3 aren't enough for some reason, aside from the people who want to get hacked versions of games which I think would likely be possible without hacking the PS3 itself.

Really I don't even see the help, anyone who thinks they need to be getting more out of the PS3 than it already does in terms of functionality probably could be doing better with a retardedly strong PC of their own design.
                Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                  because the 6 partitioned PCs they have in the same room as the PS3 aren't enough for some reason
                  It is never enough.

Anyway, his guys hobby is hardware hacking. He finds it interesting and so he does it. What he finds helps others who like to do the same thing. That's it. Never expect that anything people like this find is going to really matter to most people. Remember, this guy set out to essentially break his PS3, not so anyone else could pirate software or do anything other then play PS3 games on the PS3, but simply because he wanted to know if he could.

Again, you are not going to be playing Halo on your PS3 because of what he is doing.

loose

Comment

It means Sony better pay this douche bag some hush money ASAP for the sake of the industry.
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                      It means Sony better pay this douche bag some hush money ASAP for the sake of the industry.
                      Yes, because cracking the Xbox and the 360 was the end of those platforms.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                        Yes, because cracking the Xbox and the 360 was the end of those platforms.
                        Also PSP, DS, Wii (big time), and probably every other console anyone cared about.

The chances of a PS3 ever emulating an Xbox are pretty slim. Technically, it might be possible if the PS3 has enough power in it, but it would require someone make an emulator. This was done on a very small basis to play Playstation games on Dreamcast, but was imperfect and never met great success. Bleemcast was also done by a company, which could've made money on its endeavors, had it not been killed with fire by one corporation or another. There's little incentive for a homebrew developer to do the same right now. If you want to play games without buying the console, wait about seven years after the console dies and then give emulators a shot.

Comment

It won't ruin Sony, I mean people cracked the PS1 and PS2 and they did just fine but that's hardly the point.

Pirates need to DIAF.
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Hoimebrew apps include hacks?

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                              It won't ruin Sony, I mean people cracked the PS1 and PS2 and they did just fine but that's hardly the point.

Pirates need to DIAF.
                              I run XBMC on my XBox. There are a lot more reasons to want to have a cracked console then just pirates. This guy is not a pirate either.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                              Hoimebrew apps include hacks?
                              Until a completely hack-free loader is written, homebrew apps will require hacks (buggy games) to load.

loose

Comment

Working...
                              X