Graphics Card, New laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Card, New laptop

I just got a new laptop as a graduation gift. Unfortunetly I cannot open it until Monday, the actual day of graduation. I was wondering if it could handle FFXI. It also has Vista, so I'm not sure if FFXI is compatible with that Operating system yet. Another question, and it is probably a no since the game is relatively new, will it handle The Sims 3? it's really the only PC game series I get since it doesn't require a super powerful computer to run it on max and is usually the better version compared to the console versions (where you can mod, cheat, etc and you can't do this *well* on the console versions) and it's just so damn addicting xP.

So enough, here is *what I believe to be my specs.

*I had to memorize the model number it look it up later cause I won't see it until Monday.

DDR2-2GB
    Vista Home Premium
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core 2.1ghz
    ATI Radeon 3100, 256MB-894MB Shared Memory

And, if my laptop can't handle it, here is my desktop specs to see if it can handle it.
    2.6ghz
    Windows XP
    Nividia GeForce FX Series 5200(Don't make fun of my graphics card... I got this computer back like in 2002/3 lol)
    80BRD/78DRK/68RNG/49NIN/37SAM/37WAR/37WHM/19BLM/16SMN/15THF
    Hume/Bastok/Rank6/Remora:

Re: Graphics Card, New laptop

Hello Joe,

FFXI will work on vista systems. Follow the directions here: FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site.

There been posts about FFXI with Vista so use the search next time. ^^

Your laptop and desktop can play FFXI. But to see how good your systems are. you can download the benchmark installer. FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site

I hope that helps.

Comment

Both of those PCs will work a lot better than the bullshit Inspiron 1420 base model that I have.

FFXI works on Vista, and it even works on the Intel 915 chipset.

You might even be able to run it 800x600 full effects, even at 1024x768.

It's about as simple as that, honestly. The installation process takes forever (they make you install each pack separately...), and the update process itself takes even longer, but it's very simple.

If you have Vista though, you'll need at least 1GB just for the damn operating system, and shared memory will hurt you on FFXI, because it's VERY CPU heavy, so I recommend at least 2GB.

But for FFXI, any speed HDD works (just have like 10GB free...), most graphic cards work, you just need an above average CPU and a lot of RAM.
      The Tao of Ren
      FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
      Originally posted by Kaeko
      As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Thanks guys! FFXI looks just as good on my laptop as it does on my desktop. Though the controls will need some time to get used to...

=]
        80BRD/78DRK/68RNG/49NIN/37SAM/37WAR/37WHM/19BLM/16SMN/15THF
        Hume/Bastok/Rank6/Remora:

Comment

Get a Controller! Get a Controller! GET A CONTROLLER! FFXI was designed initially for a console, so a controller is not only recommended, you're short-sighting yourself without one!

Wireless XB360 controller works fine (hell, the WIRED XB360 controller works fine)
          Xbox 360 Controller for Windows
          Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows

I personally use this, the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2
          Logitech Cordless Rumblepad - CompUPlus Direct

Or you could get fancy and get this USB to PS2 controller Adapter
          2 pc For Sony PS2 to PS3 Controller Adapter USB NEW - 238857 - Buy.com

And pair it with the PS2 wireless Logitech controller, which is smaller then the Rumblepad and, I feel, more superior
          Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PS2 in Playstation 2 Gamepads at JR.com

Those aren't the "best" prices you can find, but those are the general gist of what you can be looking for.

I've tried using PC controls, and it just doesn't cut it. Macros are slower, can't really move and type at the same time, it's really inconvienient. Figure out what's budget savvy for you (if you already have a PS2, by all means, get the PS2>USB adapter).
          The Tao of Ren
          FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
          Originally posted by Kaeko
          As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Working...
          X