Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Questions/Frustrations

Hi guys

Recently I got a new video card and it came with this neat little DVI -> HDMI adapter thing. So I decided to plug it in and see if there was any differences. So I connected it like the following . .

Video Card DVI output -> DVI/HDMI adapter -> HDMI cable -> Monitor

Well . . .I tried running some clips that were supposedly in HD quality and I didn't notice much difference. At least no difference compared to my PS3 using HDMI vs PS3 using RGB.

Does anyone know if I'm doing anything wrong? or if I have to adjust the color/brightness/contrast etc (which I really have no clue how to do)

BTW, I have a NVIDIA GeFroce 9800 GT & my monitor is a ACER H243H

Thanks alot for any help you can give!

Re: HDMI Questions/Frustrations

This is the major problem with cables. Just because you have a cable that supports "HD Resolution", an dyou use it, does not magicly mean that anything will "be better".

It's not going to make the graphics better in any way shape or form. Playing FF13 on RGB, and FF13 on HDMI, it's still going to look good.

The HDMI version is going to appear brighter, and more colors are going to be though, as well as you might have more room for text on the screen (think running FFXI in 640x480, and then 1440x990, you'll see what i'm talking about (I'm talking about overlay, not the background texttures, because then it changes).

HDMI vs DVI is no difference, the only thing that changes in terms of the quality is that yo uhave sound comming though the same cable as well. DVI and HDMI are both digital cables.
    -Baka Inu!
    Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
    Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
    Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
    Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

Originally posted by Zempten View Post
      At least no difference compared to my PS3 using HDMI vs PS3 using RGB.
      When you say RGB, you mean component cables? The 3 different cables of those colors? Component connections are capable of HD -- they can output up to 1080i and 720p, anyway. Apparently, they can even carry 1080p, but I've no experience with it.
      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
        When you say RGB, you mean component cables? The 3 different cables of those colors? Component connections are capable of HD -- they can output up to 1080i and 720p, anyway. Apparently, they can even carry 1080p, but I've no experience with it.
        no RGB, are the yellow video/ red and white audio cable combo or known as Composite video
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
          Component can carry up to 1080p, but no TV's support it.
          -Baka Inu!
          Nejiko - Mithra Current: [ 70 THF / 35 NIN ]
          Basic Jobs: [ 70 THF / 20 MNK / 11 WHM / 18 BLM / 22WAR / 05 RDM]
          Advance Jobs: [ 04 BST / 37 NIN / 02 SMN / 05RNG / 07 SAM / 07 PLD / 00 DRK / 31 BRD / 00 DRG]
          Aht Jobs: [07 COR / 00 BLU / 00 PUP]

Comment

Working...
          X