Need help with my internet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with my internet...

Hmm... so it would be more complicated then I thought then, huh? Well, maybe I should just send it in to HP for a new MB then... won't work with my new GC then, but... would it be simpler? I do need to get a working computer though, so either getting a new one or fixing this one are my only options. And as I've said, I already have a PSU and GC... Maybe I should send it in to HP to get it working in the meantime, and kidn fo work on a new computer on the side?
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Get them to fix that one for free and use your parts on a spare. You could have one up at college and one for when you visit home on the holidays. Maybe ask for a USB Hard Drive for Christmas so you can bring stuff back and forth between the 2 computers?
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
        Whooooaaaa slow down there! Replacing the mb on a pre-made is a bit more sticky than that. You'll probably have to replace the cpu, install a new OS, and maybe other things too. All that stuff is integrated and just swapping stuff out usually creates conflicts. In the end, it will be just like building a new computer so you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?
        I can't think of a reason to replace the CPU. There are a couple of makers...and HP isn't going to use something that isn't either AMD or Intel. The new OS is a must as HP install disks are licensed to HP by M$, and are generally rebundled to make installation a simple "drop in" procedure. They won't work with an aftermarket mobo or anything else that HP hasn't installed as their "OEM" equipment. Ever wonder why there are something like(last time I checked...) 5 or 6 or so HP recovery disks and M$ can ship an XP OS on a single disk? Welcome to the world of brand name bloat. It was the single most driving feature (the bloat that is...) that forced me to learn something about computers. I'm pretty sure that they got out of the proprietary business as well...though I could be wrong on that.

Neomage - There's a bit more that I'd need to know about your system before I could make a suggestion about what mobo to get.

First things first, post up the model number of the HP that you have. I can poke around their site and take a look at what's in your computer. Just in case they offered a couple of processors, go to CPUID and download the utility CPU-Z. Run it and post that information up so we can see what's in your system.

Next, I need to know if you've added anything else to your HP, like spare hard drives or other things. We'll need to know because planning is a good thing.

...I had something else that I wanted to know....but it's escaped me for the moment. Oh well.

I'd like to mention that I highly doubt that you are going to need a $200 mobo. Those are generally high end and very flexible in terms of setting one up. The real limiting factor is how old this HP of yours is. Lets find out shall we? Post up that info that I asked for. I'll look into it tonight. It's gonna be a few hours though as I'm at work and have found out that a machine needs to be set up for something else....

Comment

Originally posted by WovenDarkness View Post
          I can't think of a reason to replace the CPU. There are a couple of makers...and HP isn't going to use something that isn't either AMD or Intel. The new OS is a must as HP install disks are licensed to HP by M$, and are generally rebundled to make installation a simple "drop in" procedure. They won't work with an aftermarket mobo or anything else that HP hasn't installed as their "OEM" equipment. Ever wonder why there are something like(last time I checked...) 5 or 6 or so HP recovery disks and M$ can ship an XP OS on a single disk? Welcome to the world of brand name bloat. It was the single most driving feature (the bloat that is...) that forced me to learn something about computers. I'm pretty sure that they got out of the proprietary business as well...though I could be wrong on that.
          Trust me, I've been down this road with HP computers, they do not want you swapping out parts so they make it very difficult for you. I had the hd and the mb go in one and thought I could swap out the parts and go along my merry way. The mb and cpu are usually soldered together, hence my comment. Therefore it makes more money for them if you want to fix it via them or just trash it and buy another pc from them.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
            Trust me, I've been down this road with HP computers, they do not want you swapping out parts so they make it very difficult for you. I had the hd and the mb go in one and thought I could swap out the parts and go along my merry way. The mb and cpu are usually soldered together, hence my comment. Therefore it makes more money for them if you want to fix it via them or just trash it and buy another pc from them.

I've never had the joy of trying to pull a cpu from one of their boards before. That they would solder it in place is interesting, cool, BS, a P.I.T.A., and somehow strangely logical all in one.... So yeah, I'll take your word on that. To that end, it wouldn't hurt to check and see if N.mage could seperate them. Best case scenario is that all that's needed is an OS, and a mobo. Worst case, the parts are just too old or otherwise factory tamper proof and and would increase the money pit some. (Thanks for the info on the whole soldered in thing. I'm now going to have to look that up for the previously listed reasons...)

...after reflecting back on N.mage's earlier posts....since it's under warranty, just send it back and have them fix it. It's gonna be less of a pain.

Keep the PSU, and the vid card. Build an entry level system around them. It can be done fairly cheaply and it's a lot of fun building that first machine. My only advise on that is to get a case that breaths well and get some fans to keep the inside of it relatively cool. Lots of airflow for that vid card. You will hate yourself if you don't....

Comment

Working...
            X