Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: {New Computer}{Advice}{Can I Have It?}

Originally posted by Edgetheninja View Post
    LoL, its not 4 gb, its 3.2 it wont register anything over 3.2. Not 4gb. Sorry I don't mean to be an ass about it but theres a big difference between 3.2 and 4 gb in my book. If I pay for 4 gb I want 4 gb not 3.2.
    You better not buy a hard drive.

Or learn about things, either way, it's up to you.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

whenever i feel the need to upgrade my pc i start by going to futuremark.com Futuremark . you can get inforamtion about the latest greatest video card from either nvidia or Ati. they discuss motherboards, ram, powersupplies and anything else you can think of.

i suggest upgrading powersupply to minimum of 650 watts and around 1000 watts if your going to crossfire. this does depend on the cards you use. Gskill ram will be fine in most applications, the only people who need certain brands of ram are the hardcore overclockers trying for that last increase. i would suggest checking motherboard manufacturer about recommended ram.

want to really see a difference in gameplay? buy a pair of western digital raptors and RAID them. then buy a large storage hard drive for backing them up and for everything else besides gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Minimee View Post
        want to really see a difference in gameplay? buy a pair of western digital raptors and RAID them. then buy a large storage hard drive for backing them up and for everything else besides gaming.
        Funny you mention that, as I was actually planning to do that. Ultimately, I would like to to run whatever the RAID is for striping and mirroring (1+0 or something? I'm terrible with the RAID types); I've lost too much data over the years from different things going wrong.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out right now ^^
        I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
        -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
        http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but how does buying a pair of Western Digital hard drives as RAID'ing them improve gameplay?

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
            Pardon my ignorance but how does buying a pair of Western Digital hard drives as RAID'ing them improve gameplay?
            I believe the idea is that the Raptor/VelociRaptor are very high speed hard drives so having two RAID0'd would improve performance in games by being able to read data from the drive much faster.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

That would just improve loading times though, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                That would just improve loading times though, right?
                And swapping. Windows by design begins swapping out unused pages when the RAM hits 25% usage. Vista works a little differently, but still begins swapping at 25%. Then there is the fact that loading happens more often then you think, the first time you come across a piece of gear you haven't seen yet for instance.

Desktop systems are surprisingly IO bound.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Working...
                  X