Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: God nonmainstream Anime?

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty apparent that the author can't write for shit.
    I think if this wasn't turned to an anime, it would be some obscure book out there in la-la land, where no one would give it the time of day. Amazing what anime can do to propel careers that would otherwise not be given any attention.

Comment

So what else have I missed in the last couple of years that's been entertaining? I need something to fill the downtime while I wait for new episodes of the train wreck that is Attack on Titan.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

For genuinely good shows:

I gush a lot about A Certain Scientific Railgun in the anime thread but it is a very well written show with a heavy focus on character development. while you should probably watch A Certain Magical Index first to get a feel for the verse, the pot for the Index series runs so fast you will stop caring really. Railgun S however is the best written and directed anime I have seen in a long time.

Sword Art Online is a great show, one I highly recommend. Fantastic writing, direction and animation, as well as art direction, I can't wait for my Blu Rays of this show to arrive. I ended up with the biggest grin ever when it was announced it was getting an EU release.

Devil Survivor 2 and Persona 4 The Animation are great but I would play the games first. The plot twists only work once.

If you want comedy I would genuinely recommend looking up Bamboo Blade. It's one of those rare shows that pulls off being a comedy anime without being annoying and 2lul random and wacky!". You can tell everything is written tongue in cheek and very self aware, and it manages to not take itself too seriously even with the more absurd things in there. A lot of the things that it parodies are done very affectionately. I picked up the DVD box set because it was cheap and thought it would be good for a laugh and it turned out to be surprisingly good.

Darker Than Black. Now I highly recommend this show. it is difficult to explain without spoiling too much but it reminds me a lot of the old batman cartoons in style and tone.

The Sacred Blacksmith, another show I picked up the DVD of on a whim, it managed to be. it ends up being a charming show and while the plot and characters won't be willing any awards, they are written well enough and the show is entertaining enough for it to not matter too much. Another show I liked for similar reasons was Scrapped Princess, another fantasy series with pretty surreal plot twists and again, the plot and characters won't win awards but it is entertaining and better than a lot of the mainstream stuff of the time. Both shows need more love really.

Girls Und Panzer will be the last recommendation. Okay this is something I watch when I want something silly. The whole premise is that Tank Battles have becomes a girl's sport in Japan. It's as absurd and ludicrous as it sounds and is actually a damn good popcorn show. I would call it a guilty pleasure but that implies I feel guilt when watching it.
        Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
        Reiko Takahashi
        - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Too late, I picked up MAR again.

Comment

Let me know how that is, I've not seen it.
            Reiko Takahashi
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
              Darker Than Black. Now I highly recommend this show. it is difficult to explain without spoiling too much but it reminds me a lot of the old batman cartoons in style and tone.
              As lot of people have been describing the main character as "Chinese Electric Batman."

I honestly agree.

Comment

I don't remember Darker Than Black being anything other than a disposable shounen series. I really don't understand what people saw in it. It didn't impress me when I watched it and I've since forgotten most of it.

As for MAR, it's pretty good for the light hearted romp that it is. I actually picked it up years and years ago. This was back when my friend and I pooled our money to buy an external harddrive just so we could store and share anime, so...probably back in high school. Damn I feel old now. But yeah, we got like 20 some episodes in and then the series just up and vanished, so I'm just getting back to it now. It's been a while and it's good to settle back in with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                  So what else have I missed in the last couple of years that's been entertaining? I need something to fill the downtime while I wait for new episodes of the train wreck that is Attack on Titan.
                  Binbougami Ga, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Sket Dance - Comedy

I don't know, Fate/Zero if you've not seen it yet, but there has been a build up of stuff in the past 2 years ... so many anime, so little time. I recommend Psycho Pass if you've not seen it yet.

Comment

I rather enjoyed Another for a sort of thriller type anime.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and recommend Redline. It's the most visually overstimulating thing I've ever watched. The fact that it was in production for seven years shows, and it's a damn good ride. Not particularly deep or anything, but an excellent popcorn movie if you just want to kick back and watch something exciting. It has truly set a new bar for animation in my book.

Comment

Finally, Attack on Titan (the english dub) has resumed :D
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I thought this was for anime that wasn't mainstream?

I already saw the show when it was Neon Geness Evangelion so to see that series yet again made me really not care about the dub, even if it has some of my favourite voice actors in it.

I think the best way to describe that show is Neon Genesis Evangelion, with even less sympathetic characters and pacing that makes Dragonball Z look rushed. Seriously. The Titans are fucking Evas and the entire concept of Titanshifters and what Titans are is basically direct copy of "Humanity is really the final angel!" reveal on NGE.

Seriously though spending half your show on one single location and fight is a good way to lose your audience due to sheer boredom.

Shame really because the manga was awesome. I did love the music though.
                          Reiko Takahashi
                          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

It's secretly the "What Anime are you watching right now?" thread.

Comment

Building on my last post, I just finished watching and heartily endorse Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri.
                              It's more or less the story of what happens when an otaku working in the army ends up getting deployed through a gate to a magical fantasy world. Good action, solid writing and some subtle and infrequent but extremely well placed humor make me glad I picked it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X